Converting Copper sulfate

noquacks

People,

Have some cupper sulfate pentahydrate, wanting to concert it to the chloride. Aqueous solution for is OK. Can I just add an excess of conc HCl to the solution of the sulfate? Then crystalize the chloride and wash off the sulfate solution? 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, noquacks said:

Have some cupper sulfate pentahydrate, wanting to concert it to the chloride.

Which one? There are two CuCl and CuCl2 ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_chloride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_chloride

Is it your aim? or just playing for fun?

"Copper(II) chloride is prepared commercially by the action of chlorination of copper. Copper at red heat (300-400°C) combines directly with chlorine gas, giving (molten) copper (II) chloride. The reaction is very exothermic. Cu(s) + Cl2(g) → CuCl2(l)"

Edited by Sensei

CuCl is easy. Add sodiumchloride or hydrochloric acid and a strong reducer like dithionite or Ascorbinic acid to the coppersulfate. You will get a white precipitate.

Manganesechloride : Add sodiumhydroxide first to manganese sulfate , you will get a sludge of manganese hydroxide. Filter it and wash it. Then neutralize with hydrochloric acid.

Edited by chenbeier

13 hours ago, chenbeier said:

CuCl is easy. Add sodiumchloride or hydrochloric acid and a strong reducer like dithionite or Ascorbinic acid to the coppersulfate. You will get a white precipitate.

Manganesechloride : Add sodiumhydroxide first to manganese sulfate , you will get a sludge of manganese hydroxide. Filter it and wash it. Then neutralize with hydrochloric acid.

Just now, noquacks said:

13 hours ago, chenbeier said:

Thanks, Chen! That seems easy for me to do (for the Mn Cl). I dont have any of those reducers around though for the Copper chloride. But at least I got one of those taken care of! Thanks again!

Goofy website useage- I click quote and difficult to know where to type, then I end up with 2 quotes. I will learn eventually, I guess.