Solar canals

swansont

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200803-the-solar-canals-revolutionising-indias-renewable-energy

But one of the main challenges in building solar farms is finding the right place to do it. Land is relatively expensive in India and often has multiple owners, so the purchase of land involves many formalities. India’s high population density also puts pressure on the land, with an average of 464 people per square kilometre. Rooftop solar panels are one solution, but sunny space atop buildings is limited too.

In Gujarat, the answer has been to cover its canals with solar panels, as a solution that saves land, water and carbon emissions in one.

Clever solution 

4 minutes ago, swansont said:

Thank you, I like it.

Like conventional solar panels, those above canals also require frequent washing to ensure their capacity isn't reduced by dust

There is a twist in that it is instructive to compare the economics of such a scheme in India and say, Arizona.

How much would you have to pay an American to clean the panels compared to an Indian ?

1 hour ago, studiot said:

There is a twist in that it is instructive to compare the economics of such a scheme in India and say, Arizona.

How much would you have to pay an American to clean the panels compared to an Indian ?

As it’s over water, I would imagine this could be automated - pump water up and spray it. Powered by the solar cells.

(the semi-snarky response is you wouldn’t pay an American, you’d pay an immigrant, just like with other menial labor)

Looking at the first photo my first thought was how dark and foreboding it must be underneath those panels, but looking at the second it looks nicely shaded but still has a good bit of light.

They do look like they might need a fair bit of water to maintain in dusty areas though, looking at a further photo. Blowing them off first might reduce the amount of water required, though  they'd no doubt know that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.