Automatic sensors on vehicles not yet safe ?

studiot

"If you're following something too closely or if there's a barrier in front of you, suddenly the car will apply its brakes," he said.

"Modern cars are pretty good at doing this but they're still not perfect and sometimes they send out a very confused message."

Should car manufacturers blame road design and construction or themselves if their technology fails to account for all road types ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-55571080

Edited by studiot

6 hours ago, studiot said:

Should car manufacturers blame road design and construction or themselves if their technology fails to account for all road types ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-55571080

To some extent everything can be fooled by optical illusions, though one could make the case that adequate testing is needed to ensure a reasonable level of performance.

Not sure who or what should determine that level though.

Edited by Endy0816

7 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

To some extent everything can be fooled by optical illusions, though one could make the case that adequate testing is needed to ensure a reasonable level of performance.

Not sure who or what should determine that level though.

Thank you for your reply.

I am really wondering if big business should be allowe to overturn the long held maxim

"There are no unsafe roads only unsafe drivers"

The idea that no matter how difficult the conditions and configuration of a particular section of road, there is a safe precedure set down in the driving regulations for negotiating it.
The responsibility lies fairly and squarely with the driver (and other road users of course) to follow that procedure.
Automated vehicles take away (some of) the drivers ability to follow that maxim.

22 minutes ago, studiot said:

I am really wondering if big business should be allowe to overturn the long held maxim

I've not heard that saying before, but i hear about unsafe roads all the time. Everyone seems to know a  dangerous stretch of road, a death trap - such roads are often modified to make it safer, if even that's just speed cameras.

I don't think it unreasonable to modify roads slightly if it helps automated vehicles out, though constrained by financial realities. If, for instance, the particulars of the cattle grid and the hill that combined to cause issues in the BBC article occurs just a few times in the world, then changing the infrastructure seems reasonable. If, however, it's every other cattle grid then changing the vehicle seems more reasonable.

2 hours ago, studiot said:

That's a maxim held by insurance companies and the police, it negates any possibility of an accident, which is more of a philosophical stance.

If automation can assist the driver then accident's will be reduced, especially if it's regularly updated. But in the real world, black ice, brake failure, momentary distraction etc. negates that maxim.

We're a long way from fully automated car's, but even then it can only reduce the possibility/probability.