Blow to US Democracy -Split from: U.S. presidential election modelling

MigL

1 hour ago, iNow said:

I'm genuinely relieved that the inauguration proceeded without bloodshed

I agree...but the crazies are still out there and their leader has clearly not abdicated with his threats of a Republican alternative "Patriots Party"...which may not be such a bad thing if it will dilute or divide the political party that has done the most harm to our nation in recent history. 

13 minutes ago, DrmDoc said:

I agree...but the crazies are still out there and their leader has clearly not abdicated with his threats of a Republican alternative "Patriots Party"...which may not be such a bad thing if it will dilute or divide the political party that has done the most harm to our nation in recent history. 

With McConnell saying he thinks he's guilty of provoking insurrection may mean there is sufficient support to prevent Trump ever taking public office again.Let us note that it is only  some of  the actors of this current Republican administration that caused the problems. Any ruling party needs an effective opposition as a counterweight, or ahead lies tyranny... and that includes the Democrats.

Edited by StringJunky

4 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

With McConnell saying he thinks he's guilty of provoking insurrection may mean there is sufficient support to prevent Trump ever taking public again.Let us note that it is only the some of  the actors of this current Republican administration that caused the problems. Any ruling party needs an effective opposition, or there lies tyranny.

I agree but I think Trump's threat is likely a veiled flexing of his potential political muscle against those Republicans who might support some future punitive action for his clearly seditious efforts against Biden's presidential confirmation.  

3 hours ago, iNow said:

I'm genuinely relieved that the inauguration proceeded without bloodshed

I can now shift my concern to the likelihood that all the vending machines at work will have been emptied by national guard folks 

2 hours ago, swansont said:

I can now shift my concern to the likelihood that all the vending machines at work will have been emptied by national guard folks 

You could ask the nice lady who just moved in to the big house across the grounds for a cookie....

43 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Recent... as in since the Civil War, or what?

Recent...as in the history made on the steps and in the houses of Congress just a few short weeks ago. It was a insurrection fostered by a false narrative propagated by Republican leadership in both the Legislative and Executive branches of our nation's government.

Edited by DrmDoc

36 minutes ago, geordief said:

Cheney?

D Cheney has had a political career spanning over 40 years, like J Biden.
He was everyone's favorite whipping boy during the G W Bush Presidency, for having too much power as VP, and pulling the strings of his 'marionette' President.

Then along comes D Trump, his VP M Pence, and a good portion of the Republican party, to make G W Bush and D Chaney look like eloquent and stable statesmen in comparison.
Who'd have thunk it ...

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Is it possible that we're talking about different people?

It has yet to be substantiated that he was "really" in J.C.MacSwell's dream. This may be premature speculation but my "Cheney" was the MigL version.

20 hours ago, DrmDoc said:

I agree but I think Trump's threat is likely a veiled flexing of his potential political muscle against those Republicans who might support some future punitive action for his clearly seditious efforts against Biden's presidential confirmation.  

But anyone in the Republican party who really understands Trump also knows that Trump would expect to be the major candidate for that new party.  If you strip him of the ability to run for federal office again, you would remove his interest in forming the new party.