Blow to US Democracy -Split from: U.S. presidential election modelling

MigL

3 hours ago, koti said:

Trump is going to have blood on his hands after 18:00 when the curfew starts. I can’t believe cops & guards let all those people into the Capitol building

Imagine if they were black. This only has continued as long as it has bc they’re white 

2 hours ago, Janus said:

It can, But the amendment to do so would first have either get a 2/3 majority support in both Houses (House of Rep and Senate) or be applied for by the state legislatures in 2/3(34) of the states. In which case Congress must call a convention.

An amendment proposed by either of these means would then have to get ratification from the legislatures  of 3/4(38) of the states.

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

There are named amendments, so it has been in the past. I think the stars haven't been aligned in terms of having the necessary House and Senate votes to have allowed that to happen in recent history, AFAIK

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

There are named amendments, so it has been in the past. I think the stars haven't been aligned in terms of having the necessary House and Senate votes to have allowed that to happen in recent history, AFAIK

Thanks...Just viewed some coverage of the terrible "undemocratic" storming of Capitol Hill.

Sad...I feel for the majority of decent US citizens on both sides of the political spectrum, that I guess would be cringing at such goings on.

Edited by beecee

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Trumps own cabinet is right now actively discussing removing him from office under the powers granted by the 25th amendment. No options have yet been presented to VP Pence

Whodathunkit? That it could actually happen in the US?

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Whodathunkit? That it could actually happen in the US?

As an external observer (I live in Ireland) who isn’t usually interested in politics, I have to say even I am absolutely gobsmacked at what has happened here. A direct attack on the democratic foundations of a once great country, and in my mind it very nearly qualifies as a coup attempt. It’s just scary, and I do not understand how he isn’t being removed immediately.

I feel very sorry for the vast majority of decent American people - no single person has ever done as much damage to both the country’s democratic institutions, as well as its international reputation, as Trump has. It will take a generation to recover from this.

At least I am relieved to see that the democratic process still seem to function, as the elections results have just been ratified as I am typing this.

1 hour ago, Markus Hanke said:

As an external observer (I live in Ireland) who isn’t usually interested in politics, I have to say even I am absolutely gobsmacked at what has happened here. A direct attack on the democratic foundations of a once great country, and in my mind it very nearly qualifies as a coup attempt. It’s just scary, and I do not understand how he isn’t being removed immediately.

I feel very sorry for the vast majority of decent American people - no single person has ever done as much damage to both the country’s democratic institutions, as well as its international reputation, as Trump has. It will take a generation to recover from this.

At least I am relieved to see that the democratic process still seem to function, as the elections results have just been ratified as I am typing this.

It looks like he could get served with breaching the US code on insurrection.

§2383. Rebellion or insurrection
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title18/part1/chapter115&edition=prelim#:~:text=Whoever incites%2C sets on foot,holding any office under the

10 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

We all would be a little upset if that happened to us...

Well, yes... but it didn't happen to anyone.

Nobody was robbed of an election victory of any sort.

And all the republicans who have not pointed that out are jointly responsible for the death of the woman shot at the Capitol.

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Then he really would be a martyr.

2 hours ago, koti said:

4 dead, 52 injured, 14 police officers injured. I still can’t believe the Capitol police let all those people in. 

Imagine the number's, if all those people were emigrant's? 

6 hours ago, Markus Hanke said:

I do not understand how he isn’t being removed immediately.

Too many people in positions of power and authority have chosen / decided not to. They support him in this. See also: Failure to conduct a trial for him once he got impeached last year. 

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

A member of the House has also already drawn up a second set of articles of impeachment, but I doubt anyone on the right will be willing to take the political risk of earning the wrath of Trump voters by doing so when he's to leave office in 2 weeks anyway. 

14 minutes ago, iNow said:

A member of the House has also already drawn up a second set of articles of impeachment, but I doubt anyone on the right will be willing to take the political risk of earning the wrath of Trump voters by doing so when he's to leave office in 2 weeks anyway. 

Yeah, you are probably right.

15 minutes ago, CharonY said:
!

Moderator Note

I have split the increasingly off-topic discussion into a new thread. I apologize for taking matters into my own hands but there are few mods available and most have taken part in this thread. 

+1

I'm only suprised no one has already started a thread on this subject.

10 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Emergency measures this could be reasonably done, probably through some judicial body and the court system longer term, but it's a slippery slope if platforms are left to decide this on their own. Unless they want to be responsible for all of their content. 

As far as yesterday's events being a blow to democracy; one could hope it could be a cathartic event that could enhance it.

Any hopes of Trump running in 2024 should surely have taken a hit, have they not?