Glossy metal-like paint

Danijel Gorupec

Is there such thing as a paint that looks like a glossy metal (like stainless steel or nickel-plated steel). For example, a cheaper sink tap might have a plastic handle, but 'painted' to look like metal - is this a paint or what? Is it something that I can simply buy in a store (I have no experience... maybe it is just that easy)?

I need to make some ordinary carbon steel parts look shiny. I am thinking about nickel-electroplating but it seems a bit expensive where I am (and I am also afraid that there are different steel grades welded together in these parts and I am not sure if this can cause problems when electroplating). So, do I have a paint or some other option instead? (to be used indoors, occasionally touched by hands).

Did you consider googling "mirror paint"?

Another option would be electroplating, possibly with a copper undercoat or something.

I don't think the usual "electroless plating systems work well on steel but it's worth asking the people who make them.

Another option is to polish the steel to a mirror finish and then varnish it.