The problem of crushing Starship

bearnard44

You mean SN8? I'm not an engineer but my understanding is that it hit the ground too hard as they couldn't get enough propellant to the engines. It crumpled where it was most structurally weak. I think they regarded it a resounding success. SN9 might give it another go this week or next.

1 hour ago, bearnard44 said:

Was the test successful for Space X, notwithstanding the final landing part?

Of course. Science doesn't look at tests like this in terms of success/failure so much as opportunities for improvement. Exposing weaknesses in trials is a good thing, and part of the engineering process. Better to know now than to discover this problem when the payload is valuable.

I sure hope you aren't here to promote one private space company while trashing the others. That's inconsistent with our purpose.

16 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Of course. Science doesn't look at tests like this in terms of success/failure so much as opportunities for improvement. Exposing weaknesses in trials is a good thing, and part of the engineering process. Better to know now than to discover this problem when the payload is valuable.

I sure hope you aren't here to promote one private space company while trashing the others. That's inconsistent with our purpose.

As I found out the reason was not very serious and difficult to solve. The reason given was that the fuel tank pressure was too low, apparently giving inadequate thrust during the final braking phase which was otherwise optimally timed. Actually the landing part was not the main part of the test, and as Musk claims it was successful for 95%