Correction hijack (Sharia in the US)

5 hours ago, koti said:

Make sure you do everything you can to change that. It’s easy to become trapped in religion one's biases'.

FTFY

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you will understand when I try to teach you adjustment is necessary to your brief, and usually vague, posts ?

Then I guess it is fair to say Islam is responsible for the current dearth of scientific discovery, honor killings, forced marriages and the subjugation of women. What happened to culture under I

I do not like living in a society where Religious leaders 'interpret' scriptures to govern people, instead of people choosing their representatives to govern them. So I choose to live in the Western

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

FTFY

No. I know what I wanted to say and that wasn’t it. What I said is exactly what I wanted to say and it does not need fixing.

Just now, koti said:

No. I know what I wanted to say and that wasn’t it. What I said is exactly what I wanted to say and it does not need fixing.

Then you're showing your bias, in much the same way as your allegation; surely that arrogance needs to be adjusted?

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Then you're showing your bias, in much the same way as your allegation; surely that arrogance needs to be adjusted?

Salik mentioned he has lots of homework which does not contain any science. I assumed that it’s religion that it contains but it might be some other bias too. What arrogance needs to be adjusted and what bias towards what am I showing? 
Preferably in analogy-free-which-no-one-understands plain English please. 

4 minutes ago, koti said:

Salik mentioned he has lots of homework which does not contain any science. I assumed that it’s religion that it contains

Why assume that?

6 minutes ago, koti said:

Then I fear, you may not understand.

49 minutes ago, koti said:

Do you mean plain English which is free from analogies which are not understood?

Or do you mean plain English which nobody understands because it lacks analogies?

Because what you have written means the second one, rather than the first

52 minutes ago, koti said:

Salik mentioned he has lots of homework which does not contain any science. I assumed that it’s religion that it contains

Isn't it more likely to be a school subject like history or even cookery?

52 minutes ago, koti said:

but it might be some other bias too.

Speaking of bias...

Your unjustified assumption that Salik's schoolwork  would be religion is a bias.

Your bias.

And I think that's the point which Dimrepr made.

2 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Do you mean plain English which is free from analogies which are not understood?

Or do you mean plain English which nobody understands because it lacks analogies?

Because what you have written means the second one, rather than the first

Dim got it and thats the important part. 

I think Dim "got" the fact that you said you didn't understand plain English.
And I think he  teased you about it.

48 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Then I fear, you may not understand.

but I'm sure he will speak for himself.

33 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

And I think that's the point which Dimrepr made.

Thanks for clearing that up, I would have never guessed that.

28 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

I think Dim "got" the fact that you said you didn't understand plain English.

Again, thank you for the insightful summary. Now I got two not one complaining about sentence order.

Edited by koti
8 minutes ago, koti said:

You are welcome to stop digging...

Imagine that.

3 hours ago, koti said:

Salik mentioned he has lots of homework which does not contain any science. I assumed that it’s religion that it contains but it might be some other bias too.

The way I understand the comment, it may be any other subject.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, John Cuthber said:

On 1/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, koti said:

Some times one has to tease out the thread's of understanding, in order to learn or teach...

7 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Some times one has to tease out the thread's of understanding, in order to learn or teach...

AKA "overcoming the curse of knowledge."

I like to think about it in terms of tying the knot, and untying the knot.

• 5 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 9:04 PM, joigus said:

AKA "overcoming the curse of knowledge."

I like to think about it in terms of tying the knot, and untying the knot.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but shouldn't the term be "overcoming the curse of understanding"; for instance "tying the knot, and untying the knot." is just reinforcing knowledge, not understanding...

22 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but shouldn't the term be "overcoming the curse of understanding"; for instance "tying the knot, and untying the knot." is just reinforcing knowledge, not understanding...

It's a matter of terminology, but I don't think "curse of knowledge" is off the mark. The first time you learn something, it's probably more accurate to call it understanding. But not every time the question pops up again do you reproduce the "understanding" part of it. You retrieve the data from your memory, because your really understood it long ago. You may even remember a reasoning, but it's just because memory is playing a role there that the key ideas for that reasoning can be conjured up almost instantly. You may be under the illusion that you're reasoning again, but you're drawing from your memory more heavily than you would like to believe. It happens to all of us, and it's to do with how the hippocampus works.

2 minutes ago, joigus said:

The first time you learn something, it's probably more accurate to call it understanding.

I think it's more accurate to call it a lesson learned.

It may take many lesson's, to reach understanding....

44 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I think it's more accurate to call it a lesson learned.

It may take many lesson's, to reach understanding....

It may take many setbacks to learn a lesson.

Understanding, on the other hand, is instantaneous...

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread,

Glad you did.
Unfortunately this thread has become about the proper use of language, and not Sharia law.
Everyone heaped scorn on Koti, but, I'm sure everyone knew what he meant, and he made a valid point ...

If Sharia law is based on Religion, then at least some aspects of that Religion have to be taught in schools.

Edited by MigL