Creating Password protected files on a USB drive.

Edward

I recently bought a USB flash drive. I want to have a folder with sensitive files that I don't want people to be able to see without a password. I also want to access those files without installing software on the computer accessing them.

I tried using password protected zipped folders but I could still brows the folder and look at the file types and names.

Is there a simple and free way to do this?

I am willing to have software installed onto the flash drive to be able to access the secure files.

Any Ideas?

Ok thanks. I have found a temporary solution. a zipped folder in a password protected zipped folder. But I'm still looking for something easyer to work with. P.S. when windows password protects a zipped folder is it encripted?

I have a JumpDrive secure, http://www.digitalfilm.com/jumpdrive/jd_secure.html . I cant actually find my USB but I remember there was a folder that contained a PDF and an EXE right on the device.

I do not think Windows will automatically encrypt an archive; but, there is software that'll do that. I did some research and I think the software is called Safe Guard,

http://www.digitalfilm.com/drivers/#software

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/safe-guard-free.html

http://www.magic2003.net/scrypt/download.htm?tag=left

This does encypt data, and with the correct password, will unencrypt it. Or you cna go with the archive idea, like I said, I think there is software that'll encrypt zips. However, just putting a password in it isn't very secure. Plug it into a computer that doesn't recognize it and you'll find it's pretty naked.

For basic stuff to keep secret a password .zip file is great, if you are worried about file name/type then there's 2 solutions:

1) change the name!

2) change the file type, so say you've got secret.txt you can rename it as atext.abc the reason you use atext is so you remember it's a .txt file, or if you'll remember that then just call it random.abc or some such.

The extension changing only works if when you go to rename the file it gives you the whole secret.txt including the .txt part, then you can change that, you'll get a pop-up informing you of the change.

You can always put a . in front of the file. But some computers, especially older ones, still display hidden files.

It's a good way to hide a folder on your computer that you don't want anybody knowing about, though.

To make it hidden you just right click > properties > (under 'General' tab) tick Hidden

To see it you can either type it's address into IE or My Computer, seeing as you know the file exists if you type in the exact address in IE, so for example if you type C:\windows\system32 it will display the folder system32 even if it is system and hidden (I don't think it is, this is an example).

The alternative, like what I have done, kinda defeats the object of hidden files/folders. I have selected an option to be able to view all hidden or system-hidden files/folders. This can be done by going to (in my computer) tools > folder options > views (tab) > under Hidden files and Folders section there's the option... in the same section just below is the option for protected OS files, which it recommends hiding because the average dumb user may delete or corrupt it etc.

That's a diferent thing windows does. A dot in front of the file name means it's hidden (ie, .hiddenfolder/). System 32 and other "synsitive" folders are stored in a random file someware in the depths of Windows to be excluded in dir listings. If you go into system settings and other places you'll find folders that arent called hidden under properties but carry a dot, thus hiding them from view. If you go to properties and make it hidden, it will only be hidden on YOUR computer.

Just put a dot in front of the file. When you want to access it, all you have to do is type the address (dot and all). IE, USB/.hiddenfile (in address bar) or turn on hidden folders and click it.

That's interesting, I have a Windows XP computer right over there. It does actually say that, but there are folders named with a leading dot. It's probably Windows again, try renaming under cmd. In documents and settings/me even, there is a .Java/ and .gtkbookmarks. I used to add dots in front of my folders on XP, but I remember that there was another way you had to do it.

It's been a while sense I used XP. I think I did it in the program called WinRAR (or something). Windows is wierd like that, it probably doesn't want you to name something like that. If all else fails, write a short program to do it.

winRAR is like winzip, but slightly better.

I cannot rename with a dot at the beginning of the name either.

Setting the attributes to hidden will hide it from your computer as well as other computers, trust, over my network it works anyway (unless of course the other computer is set up to see hidden files).

Over a network would work because the computer with that hidden file automatically does not serve it.

If it were on a USB, other computers would see it. Unless there's a new feature where Windows slaps a little file on it. In which case only other Windows computer would see it as hidden; everybody else would see the file defaultly.

But yeah, it's just common sense that windows networking wouldnt serve a file that hidden; Remember these hidden files are supposed to be system or sinsitive information. ;) Open up CMD and type DIR. Now look in your documents folder and try to find files with dots in front of them.

Over a network would work because the computer with that hidden file automatically does not serve it.
Nope. My computer is set to see hidden files, whereas the other 2 computers on the network are not. If I go to the other computers (through My Network) I can see hidden files and folders, I can tell they're hidden through their attributes. Hidden files can often be useless info, like thumbs.db or desktop.ini

As for doted files, if I go to c:\windows (this is in CMD) there's a c:\windows\. and a c:\windows\.. which are folders, however I cannot access them through CMD or normally. Is there a way to access them? Through safe mode?

heh . and .. are references to the current folder and parent folder. For instance you can do cd ./someFolderInTheCurrentDirectory/ or cd ../SomeFolderInTheParentDirectory/, or simply cd .. etc.

As far as I can see from my own experiences, adding a leading dot to the name of a file or folder doesnt seem to hide it. The only time I've found this to be true is when working with Unix/Linux Systems.

Proof

How did you name it with a dot at the beginning? Whenever I try to it says you must type a file name. I assume it is because it thinks that after the dot is the file extension and before is the name. Even with an extentionless file it don't work!