DNS error... ethernet connected, no internet :-(

Externet

A couple of thoughts.

You say you have nothing wifi equipped in your house.

Are you quite sure?

Even if you have 'disabled' it on the Chromebook, won't it will still be live inside ?

Some modern televisions have internal wifi as well as Ethernet connections.

Same with printers, scanners, doorbells and other auxiliary devices.

Printers with wifi and ethernet are often a pain to get working on the right network.

If you have such a printer is the chromebook trying to set itself to the printer's own local network and fighting itself if you want to use the router ?

Do you have a 'firestick' or other interface between tv and home network ?

Edited by studiot

Thanks, studiot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say you have nothing wifi equipped in your house.

Are you quite sure?  The gateway (modem) has its wireless feature disabled by the service provider by contract.

Even if you have 'disabled' it on the Chromebook, won't it will still be live inside ?  Its wifi and bluetooth are off by selected choice in network settings menu.

Some modern televisions have internal wifi as well as Ethernet connections. Mine gets the programming from ethernet RJ45-3 ----->tuner*----->HDMI, old to have any network.

Same with printers, scanners, doorbells and other auxiliary devices. My printer is still in its sealed carton, no others.

Printers with wifi and ethernet are often a pain to get working on the right network. That will be pain for a future day.

If you have such a printer is the chromebook trying to set itself to the printer's own local network and fighting itself if you want to use the router ?  Printer is disabled at the Chromebook settings.

Do you have a 'firestick' or other interface between tv and home network ?  No firestick, * it is another wired animal : ----> https://www.ebay.com/itm/X96-Mini-TV-Box-Android-7-1-2-S905W-Quad-Core-WiFi-HD-2GB-16GB-4K-Media-Player/233493321077?hash=item365d495575:g:B0EAAOSwU2BeRD4-

It's while since I needed to setup a router but there used to be a different set of IP addresses, outside of the normal range of local IP usage, for doing this since the computer acts as network controller (DNS server) and the router as slave when you first do this.

Once you have done the proper setup, you switch roles on the devices.

I also wondered if you had a smartphone with an (unknown or suspected) rogue app.

Edited by studiot

Thanks, studiot..

My 'smart' phone is never used to play on the internet, only used as telephone + whatsup with the telephony provider service only and no home wireless to it.

Went to the store, bought another USB-to-ethernet adapter similar to the pictured one.  Same "no internet" prompt.  Will dig deeper into the misbehavior and get the sledge hammer ready...

6 hours ago, Externet said:

Removed the RJ-45-2  Ethernet-to-USB adapter below from the Chromebook and restored functionality on this, the Linux unit. Posting the progress.  Seems the adapter is flaky or kaput. Worked fine just for a few days.

24 minutes ago, Externet said:

bought another USB-to-ethernet adapter similar to the pictured one.  Same "no internet" prompt.

Unless I have missed something we have not yet determined if the error is inside your router, in the router or in a service provided by your ISP. Facts we have, hope I got this right. Italic are my conclusions, guesses and reasoning*:

More that one equipment connected you the router gets the issue. Sometimes simultaneously and sometimes not. The problem is hence not likely a single cable or adapter or equipment on the LAN. It's in the router or external at the ISP.

TV tuner seems to be the most stable one. The tuner is more likely to keep e few connections open for a longer time. Computers in use are more likely to connect/reconnect when user switches network. 

What version of linux are you running? I may be able to provide an easy step by step guide how to use terminal and ping. (Maybe I need help from @Sensei on this one depending on version)

Thank you, Ghideon.

Am using Ubuntu 18.04 at the computer on RJ45-1.   I can open its terminal and operate it well.  Not always interpret all it says, but I can use it.  The new Chromebook on RJ45-2 is the one evading me from finding its terminal. Perhaps has to be downloaded/installed yet.

A hanging question is if two USB-to-ethernet adapters in the same network cause conflict. (One on computer 1; one on Chromebook).  As manufacturers trend is to eliminate optical drives, hard drives, replaceable memory, ethernet jacks in favor of all wifi/cloud/throwaway forcing the use of adapters...

Edited by Externet

2 minutes ago, Externet said:

Not always interpret all it says, but I can use it. 

No problem with the interpretation, we can solve that as a joint effort.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:21 AM, Externet said:

I can access the gateway 'reports' at 192.168.100.1 if that means anything.

I interpret that as you have a router that has address 192.168.100.1 as seen from your linux box. In the terminal we first assure that there is a connection from your Linux box through the cable to the router. Type the following command and check the output:

ping 192.168.100.1

The outout should be something like:

64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=235 ttl=53 time=38.640 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=236 ttl=53 time=47.708 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=237 ttl=53 time=38.423 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=238 ttl=53 time=43.113 ms

It is NOT ok if there are many

Request timeout for icmp_seq 103

or

ping: sendto: No route to host

12 minutes ago, Externet said:

A hanging question is if two USB-to-ethernet adapters in the same network cause conflict. (One on computer 1; one on Chromebook).

I have not seen such an issue but I have limited experience. I have used two different USB to ethernet adapters on same LAN without issues but not the same brand. 

On this Linux computer now working normal and posting this;

It never ends reporting, had to close the terminal.

externet@externet-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC:~$ ping 192.168.100.1
PING 192.168.100.1 (192.168.100.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.42 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.16 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.27 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1.24 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.19 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=1.22 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=1.17 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.100.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=1.20 ms

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

externet@externet-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC:~$ Request timeout for icmp_seq 103
Request: command not found
externet@externet-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC:~$

9 minutes ago, Externet said:

It never ends reporting, had to close the terminal.

That is ok, it just goes on. To stop the command you can use CTRL-c to get back to the prompt to type other commands.

Next we will try to see if there is an issue externally. This may take some time to spot depending on how often there is an issue. We will modify the command to help  

• Open two terminal windows 
    In the first terminal type 

ping 192.168.100.1 | grep -v "bytes from"

The ping will try to connect to the router. the vertical pipe sends the output to another command called grep. The grep will filter out all "OK" answers so that only errors will be printed on screen. That means you can leave the command running and check after a while that there are no timeouts or other errors.

• in the second terminal type

ping www.apple.com | grep -v "bytes from"

(Or any other reasonably stable website of your choice)

You now have two ping running. If the issue is on your LAN or in the cable or adapter you should get errors in both terminals at the same time

If your errors are in router or outside then the second terminal will likely print many more errors than the first terminal

Edited by Ghideon

Yes, I can. (attached)   Please allow me to pay full attention to Ghideon now; will get back to you

Screenshot from 2020-12-30 17-53-37.png

externet@externet-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC:~$ ping 192.168.100.1 | grep -v
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

externet@externet-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC:~$ ping www.apple.com | grep -v
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

7 minutes ago, Externet said:

externet@externet-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC:~$ ping www.apple.com | grep -v

I think you missed part of the command, "bytes from". Copy paste the string below 

ping www.apple.com | grep -v "bytes from"

image.png.e2502f63f4bd0fa59ed7e683b0ec76dd.png

13 minutes ago, Externet said:

Yes, I can. (attached)   Please allow me to pay full attention to Ghideon now; will get back to you

Sure, hope Ghideon's help works out for you.

He (or Sensei) should be able to log into your router remotely from the internet.

I used to do this all the time to mine.

But keep sensitive information to private messages.

:-)

Edited by studiot

1 minute ago, Externet said:

After a few minutes, nothing reported :

That means you have a stable connection at this time.

Options:

• Leave the terminals running until there is an issue and check the output.
  • Or start both terminal commands again as soon as there is an issue with internet.

• And/or make a wild guess that DNS is the issue and add 8.8.8.8 as secondary DNS in your router though the administrative interface you posted. 

Side note: As a reference: example output when there are issues with the connection:

% ping www.apple.com | grep -v "bytes from"
PING e6858.dsce9.akamaiedge.net (2.22.41.97): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 154
Request timeout for icmp_seq 155

If internet connection is completely down there is approximately one new error every other second or so. For intermittent errors there will be a few lines printed, then nothing for a period of time. (Not possible to tell for how long) 

If the connection is very reliable then there will be no timeout or "No route" messages for maybe days or more.

Due to the time difference I may not be able to followup until tomorrow.  

@Externet you're providing too little data for us.. RJ45 is just connector at the end of wire. Wire can be for 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps), 10 Gbps transmission. They can be straight or twisted. If you don't tell shopkeeper details (e.g. because you have no idea about the all details)... you end up without knowing what you bought..

https://www.google.com/search?q=rj45+cable+types

https://www.dipolnet.com/twisted-pair_cables_-_nomenclature_standards_parameters_bib526.htm

Maybe start from making photos of your equipment, One by one, router, switch (if you have), computer, TV, from back sides where will be see how it is all configured..

What are the lengths of these cables? Are they lying on the floor (and you walk on them, closing doors with them) or are they safe inside the walls? Details.. details..

Plugging RJ45 to device via USB is adding yet another layer of uncertainty..

Generally, if something malfunction, like in your case, you should unplug everything, and plug one device at a time. Turn off the all devices not plugged entirely from power source.

I believe @studiot was talking about neighborhood printers, scanners and devices too.. Not just yours in the apartment. It is quite plausible to have interference from other people devices in surrounding apartments in range ~100 meters. This even happens with radio mouses, radio keyboards, Bluetooth devices.

ps. You seem to completely ignore what I said in post #3..

Edited by Sensei

Thank you, Sensei.  Not ignoring you at all.

The delay to check all your suggestions obeys to a desire to test another thing first.  Ordered another USB to ethernet adapter and been waiting almost a week: the mailman just brought it minutes ago.

Internet works now on both computers, Linux and Chromebook simultaneously with the same kind of adapter.  Am watching France24 news and posting this.

Both 1Gb adapters are now equal brand and model USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 LAN (10/100/1000) Mbps Network Adapter  MJ94

The trouble 'evidence' of using different brand/model adapters is beyond my understanding.  Am returning this 1Gb  bought at a local "Bestbuy" store :Front Zoom. Insignia™ - USB 3.0-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - White.

And this  mail ordered :

USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit LAN Ethernet Network Adapter 10/100/1000 Mbps Silver

and have three older of these used years ago going to the spider web box if anyone needs them :

Blue USB 2.0 To LAN RJ45 Ethernet 10/100Mbps Network Card Adapter F PC Net Sever

The use of adapter is because newer laptops do not include LAN jacks on their push for all wifi.  Served myself a double Bourbon; -happy- 🥃

Edited by Externet
Added links

On 1/7/2021 at 10:26 PM, Externet said:

Internet works now on both computers, Linux and Chromebook simultaneously with the same kind of adapter.  Am watching France24 news and posting this.

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear that you are back online and on the forum again!

On 1/7/2021 at 10:26 PM, Externet said:

The trouble 'evidence' of using different brand/model adapters is beyond my understanding.

I have been using different adapters simultaneously and I have not seen this type of errors. But I'm curious! In case you find the specific issue feel free to report back. 

And if the issue comes back there are a couple of other things we may try from the command line, to try to isolate the problem.

I remember the last day when I left a ethernet connection on a curb - when I tried to setup internet for a 3 hours and it finally it didn`t start xd now using optic only 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lockdown edm raver 
Link Removed