Blocking RFID

[Tycho?]

In case you havn't heard, RFID tags (like the anti-theft devices that are in most CD/DVD cases) have been getting a fair amount of press lately, and many people are concerned about privacy, namely that RFID tags in products could be used to trace what sort of things a person buys, or can be used to trace the person themselves etc etc.

Basically I am wondering how one would block and RFID chip. I was thinking that just having a faraday cage around it would block it, as that would at least block the radio waves. However I only have a vague idea of how RFID chips work, and some might use magnetic fields instead of radio waves (I have no idea). So would a faraday cage do it, or is something else needed?

A magnet from a hard drive would be a very suitable size and power... be careful when carrying them, for example I carried one walking onto a bus and my pocked stuck to one of the metal bars you are meant to hold on to!

ahh yes metafrizzics a favourite method of mine.

Take 1 large chunky magnet/electromagnet

put it on the chip and wiggle about to induce currents

the currents destroy the chip.

"Oh Ace' date=' you make me laugh!" (When Nature Calls)

[ bubble me this: ']

"I can tell by the urine stain on your pants,

that you're a single-shake man.

Far too busy for the follow-up jiggle."

[ / bubble me tender ]