What Ever Happened to Laika?

joigus

For whatever reason, a question that has been in my mind for many years, "what ever happened to Laika?", popped up again yesterday. Maybe it's because I tend to feel sad in Christmas. It's a recurring theme for me. Christmas seem to be all about loss. And I'm a Cold-War kid.

In recent years I've learnt from paleo-anthropologists that we probably owe much of what we are to the presence of dogs in our lives, that goes back tens --if not hundreds-- of thousands of years at the very least.

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-prehistoric-humans-dogs-death.html

We owe them so much. Anyway, I found this story answering all my questions. It's not a happy story, I must warn you.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/sad-story-laika-space-dog-and-her-one-way-trip-orbit-1-180968728/

I always wanted to know what ever happened to Laika.

Merry Christmas

6 minutes ago, MigL said:

Hey Grinch, stop making everyone sad at Christmas time :) .
( Grinch is from Dr Seuss "How the Grinch stole Christmas" )

I recommend a movie called "Alpha", about a boy and his dog.

🤣

25 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

She/he died, but forever lives in our memories; there's worst ways to go...

Happy Saturnalia, hanukkah, etc... 😀

Happy Festivus. :D 

On 12/26/2020 at 11:57 PM, joigus said:

For whatever reason, a question that has been in my mind for many years, "what ever happened to Laika?", popped up again yesterday. Maybe it's because I tend to feel sad in Christmas. It's a recurring theme for me. Christmas seem to be all about loss. And I'm a Cold-War kid.

In recent years I've learnt from paleo-anthropologists that we probably owe much of what we are to the presence of dogs in our lives, that goes back tens --if not hundreds-- of thousands of years at the very least.

We owe a lot to that partnership.

I believe there is still a lot we could gain from it, that its perhaps an essential connection for humanity to our environment,  being lost with the divorce of canine development and evolution from  environmental demands.

Edited by naitche