Why does x^2 depend on 2 input values?

CuriosOne

I too am somewhat confused--about what you are really asking.   maybe you need to explain your question further.  But-- starting with what you have.... There are not two input values-- in any given equation the value of x can only be one number at any given time.  So, there is really only 1 input.  For any given equation there might be more than one value of x that satisfies the equation-- but only one value may be used each time you use the equation.

In this instance, if x^2 = x/x = 1, then x = 1

Edited by OldChemE

3 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

x^2 does not equal x/x, it equals x*x.

Oops sorry I was referring to the default base of ten, I should have mentioned this..

But isn't that "still" a relavant question to the OP??

6 hours ago, OldChemE said:

I too am somewhat confused--about what you are really asking.   maybe you need to explain your question further.  But-- starting with what you have.... There are not two input values-- in any given equation the value of x can only be one number at any given time.  So, there is really only 1 input.  For any given equation there might be more than one value of x that satisfies the equation-- but only one value may be used each time you use the equation.

In this instance, if x^2 = x/x = 1, then x = 1

So only one value may be used each time you use the equation..

Let's say f(x) where x is a distance variable and y is a time variable..

As in distance/time = a quantity at some rate per unit of time....

In this sceneraio what is x then??

Its seems to be "distance, time and rate"

There is a logic to why I ask about something so simple, yet seldom talked about or at least I've noticed...

Should x just be a rate of base 10???

That is the default of algebra and is the reason for ""like terms"" such as x/x = 1 or x^2....All bundled up together??

Something does not appear correct here..

Edited by CuriosOne

I don't understand what you are after, at all.
Maybe you should work on your question posing skills.
If you are at all unsure of what a term means, don't use it in your question.
Or maybe keep it really simple, ask only one question, like "What does this term mean ? "

I'm almost afraid to answer ( what I think ) your question, because you don't seem to understand people's responses, and go in all other directions.
The function you are considering    F(x) =x   is NOT equivalent to x/x ( which is equivalent to 1 ), it is actually equivalent to x*x ( x times x, if you don't know what the little star means ). the x is a variable, which means it takes the place of any one number, just like the x axis on a graph has all the numbers on that axis.

7 hours ago, MigL said:

I don't understand what you are after, at all.
Maybe you should work on your question posing skills.
Or maybe keep it really simple, ask only one question, like "What does this term mean ? "

!

Moderator Note

These are excellent suggestions

— — — —

CuriosOne

It’s impossible to properly address a question like “Why does x^2 depend on 2 input values?” when the statement isn’t true. The answer to “Why does x^2 depend on 2 input values?” is that it doesn’t. Try a simpler question, because you obviously have a more fundamental misunderstanding.

“What if an input value was 3, does that make x cubed??????“ Makes no sense. Try a simpler question, because you obviously have a more fundamental misunderstanding.

“Should x just be a rate of base 10???” Makes no sense. Try a simpler question, because you obviously have a more fundamental misunderstanding.

Too much time is being wasted trying to parse the questions, and trying to diagnose the misconceptions, which, apparently, are legion.

12 hours ago, CuriosOne said:

Oops sorry I was referring to the default base of ten, I should have mentioned this..

No, it does not..

In any numerical system, it would be the same. Base 10, base 16, base 2, it does not matter.

We were discussing about it in dozen posts already.

Edited by Sensei

12 hours ago, CuriosOne said:

Something does not appear correct here..

Agreed. And it's the bizarre nature of your questions.

If you keep going on like this, you'll never get around to mathematics.

I cannot emphasize enough how much attention you must pay to these tips:

8 hours ago, MigL said:

Or maybe keep it really simple, ask only one question, like "What does this term mean ?

I could hardly agree more.

If you're trying to climb Mt. Everest, and you're looking at another summit in the distance, you're gonna fall through a crack. Does that make sense?

And for Pete's sake, solve a simple linear equation, get pleasure from it, and step on towards a more difficult problem. And keep going.

Get something under your belt, however modest, ASAP. No matter how simple. 

Edit: Oh, and another thing. You're getting excellent advice here. Don't pay heed to "Daft Science" or "CrackpoGenius" or similars who might tell you how much more intelligent than others you are. They're distracting you and you've gone astray by their compliments before. I've seen it happen. That's another crack in Mt. Everest. Compliments are very distracting. Reliable information is gold.

Edited by joigus

21 hours ago, CuriosOne said:

If x^2 = x/x = 1, why does 1 depend on 2 input values?

The equation [math] x^{2}=1[/math] has two solutions,  [math] x=1
[/math] and [math] x=-1
[/math]. Maybe that is what you mean by two input values, I do not know. Only one of 1 and -1 may be used at a time as already stated:

21 hours ago, OldChemE said:

For any given equation there might be more than one value of x that satisfies the equation-- but only one value may be used each time you use the equation.

The above means that in [math] x^{2}=1[/math] you may use one of 1 and -1 so that: 
[math] (-1)^{2}=1[/math]
or
[math] 1^{2}=1[/math]. 

Edited by Ghideon

5 hours ago, joigus said:

Edit: Oh, and another thing. You're getting excellent advice here. Don't pay heed to "Daft Science" or "CrackpoGenius" or similars who might tell you how much more intelligent than others you are. They're distracting you and you've gone astray by their compliments before. I've seen it happen. That's another crack in Mt. Everest. Compliments are very distracting. Reliable information is gold.

I am a teacher in one of the branch of science. So,I think I can observe something from the top of the portrait or a map and normally can make some distinction between the speakers.

But that thing whatever we say  should NOT of course pass the treshold of the reality. 

I clearly remember what I said, feel free please to speak more clearly. 

I am again sure, this OP of topic is not unintelligent. What is more, he can understand and make distinction between what intented to be said and what sounded  ftom the text.

but unfortunately this user does not have sufficient (as swansont says "fundamental") contexts of maths. Thus everything is problem for him in this regard.

anyway, perhaps some people do not want to accept the reality or cannot see it well. 

a recommendation: as independent researcher and maths teacher ,here I could not really judge what the OP would like to learn or ask in the work of maths.

so, I recommend the topic to be closed.

Edited by ahmet
some words,recommendation added,negation added in order to be understood better

5 hours ago, Ghideon said:

The equation x2=1 has two solutions,  x=1 and x=1 . Maybe that is what you mean by two input values, I do not know. Only one of 1 and -1 may be used at a time as already stated:

The above means that in x2=1 you may use one of 1 and -1 so that: 
(1)2=1
or
12=1

"HOOOOLLLDD ON THERE ""PLEASE"""

-1 Means -16 as in 1/1e-4 = -1

Just like you said 1 and -1 

Of 2 input values or opposites?

Distance and Time???

Can I see an example???

17 hours ago, uncool said:

I don't see how "base 10" makes x^2 = x/x.

Neither do I, and that's what I'm asking...

Everything even in chemistry has a ,"base." A default a template...

8 hours ago, joigus said:

Agreed. And it's the bizarre nature of your questions.

If you keep going on like this, you'll never get around to mathematics.

I cannot emphasize enough how much attention you must pay to these tips:

I could hardly agree more.

If you're trying to climb Mt. Everest, and you're looking at another summit in the distance, you're gonna fall through a crack. Does that make sense?

And for Pete's sake, solve a simple linear equation, get pleasure from it, and step on towards a more difficult problem. And keep going.

Get something under your belt, however modest, ASAP. No matter how simple. 

Understood, I think I may need to invest more time in acoustic sound waves because your mount Everest Anology appears to be similar with numbers, I'm seeing this all over the place, no joke!

28 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

"HOOOOLLLDD ON THERE ""PLEASE"""

-1 Means -16 as in 1/1e-4 = -1

!

Moderator Note

No.  -1 does not mean -16 , and 1/1e-4 is not equal to -1

Just like you said 1 and -1 

Of 2 input values or opposites?

Distance and Time???

!

Moderator Note

You have to stop doing this. You asked a math question, so stick to math.

If you have a physics question, ask it in physics.

You’ve not clarified what you meant in the OP, so go ahead and ask a new question, but this us done, and you have to stop making up your own math, and stop acting like math and physics are interchangeable