Do staff/mods ever become friends?

Curious layman

Some of the residents on sites like these have been interacting with the same people for over 10 years, sometimes across multiple sites.

I was wondering, Do you ever keep in touch with anyone away from the site?

Also, what's it like when someone you regularly interact with for a number of years stops showing up, do you ever feel like you've lost a friend. Sorry for being personal, tell me to f^*k off if you want, I'm just curious.

After a while you get used to people, and having them around; you almost know what hey are going to post on any particular subject.
There are many people I've butted heads with, over the years. INow, Ten oz, Phi for All, and, anyone remember Overtone ?
I have developed a great respect for all their opinions, and would love to have a face-to-face discussion over a beer.

Some people have left, and sometimes they come back, but post infrequently, as Ten oz now does.
Hopefully, when they have time, Mordred and Strange will join us again.

Some are gone for good, like Imatfaal, AJB, and Dr Rocket.
We are that much poorer for their absence

Edited by MigL

19 minutes ago, MigL said:

I have developed a great respect for all their opinions, and would love to have a face-to-face discussion over a beer.

Likewise, mate, but it would be several beers. 

There’s a few on a smaller site where I’m an admin with whom I’ve connected on FB IRL, but I generally don’t mix my real name and online persona if I can avoid it. 

A really long time ago I connected with Cap’n Refs for tacos and we were joined by another person posting at the time. That was fun. I also met up a former NASA employee I’d interacted with on yet another site long ago. He and I had cocktails and enjoyed many great conversations with him and his wife when they came to town. 

That was all before I got married and had kids, though. Life’s rather different now than then. 

12 hours ago, MigL said:

Oh, and I forgot that cranky, Scottish geology expert Ophiolite.
Always wanted to have a Scotch with him, and ask him what three battles he was in sight of.

Ophiolite earned my gratitude when he,in his previous incarnation of John Galt rebutted my detractor with a "there is no such thing as a stupid question"

I have been meaning to ask him how he rates his judgement (circa 2017) that it would  not be possible within a short space of time (pretty sure he  said or indicated a timeframe of months)   to find anyone to admit to have voted for Trump.

My estimation of his judgement was so high that I have waited with bated breath over the past 4 years for his prediction to come to fruition.

Also very disappointed at his support for Scottish (or any) Nationalism .

That apart(as I have told him) his posts are  generally well worth the entrance fee.

On another of the  Science forums  babe (for those who know her)  sent a small amount of  funds to another poster  when he was down on his luck to help him get sorted....

Edited by geordief

41 minutes ago, geordief said:

On another of the  Science forums  babe (for those who know her)  sent a small amount of  funds to another poster  when he was down on his luck to help him get sorted...

As I believe you’re already aware, she’s active on the smaller site I referenced above (linked in my sig)

Edited by iNow

On 12/17/2020 at 10:30 PM, Curious layman said:

I was wondering, Do you ever keep in touch with anyone away from the site?

I remember (what seems aeons ago) attempting to create a website with Cap'n called dbunked. IIRC blike (the founder of these forums) designed the logo. There were a number of experts interested in the project, but unfortunately it didn't blossom.

I was quite excited at the time, as I thought a centre/thinktank for disinformation outside of Snopes would be invaluable, it seems even more pertinent today.

I’ve met a couple of members IRL when I’ve been in the US and have considered them friends at various points. Others I knew digitally when IRC was a thing, and a few I am friends with on FB. These days I generally avoid crossing streams. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, MigL said:

anyone remember Overtone ?

Difficult to forget that one.