What is Science?

CuriosOne

Is it invention for profit and gain? 

Control?

Political and Sociological Sceme?

Has inventions from Science impacted our world in negative ways?

Social isolation from the creation of the internet which has disconnect families,  friends and is the leading culprit of adultery via online sex connections.

Internet cell use and harmful polutants therof..

Global Warming, Famine, Climate  Change?? Etc, Etc...Just to name a few..

Is Science a "Business?????"

Or is Science just science..

I can't wait to hear the replies..

Edited by CuriosOne

Sometimes (but invention is not necessarily science), no, no, yes (but again invention is not science), yes and no, not a full sentence, yes and no, yes and no, yes.

Also, unfocused questions typically do not yield very useful answers.

21 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Science is about discovery. A substantial proportion of scientists are it because they are intrigued by discovery. So science certainly leads to a gain of knowledge. I hope you are not offended by the notion that scientists also welcome a salary for the work they do.

Invention lies much more in the field of engineering where profit and gain are what powers further engineering developments.

25 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Control?

Not in any significant way.

25 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

No idea what you mean?

26 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Of course the application of some scientific discoveries have had negative consequences. That is more in the hands of politiicians, businessmen and the general public than it is in the hands of scientists. And the vast majority of discoveries have been beneficial, or at worst neutral.

28 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Social isolation from the creation of the internet which has disconnect families,  friends and is the leading culprit of adultery via online sex connections.

And yet, while I maintained contact with my parents during the occassional letter when I was on the other side of the planet I can use the internet to video visit with my children and granchildren every week.

30 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Science has identified global warming and offered solutions. Famine would be infinitely worse without scientific developments in agriculture. Climate change, as for global warming, which is just a synonym.

32 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Application of science can often best be achieved via business model. Do you think that is a problem.

32 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Finally you ask a good question. Answer: pretty much.

40 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Control?

:) :) :) 

you ask question(s) 

but you say "I can't wait to hear the replies."

Edited by ahmet

Science is a method that helps us to better understand the universe without fooling ourselves. It allows to minimize the biases we impose on our descriptions of how the cosmos behaves, whether consciously or unconsciously. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Science is a method that helps us to better understand the universe without fooling ourselves. It allows to minimize the biases we impose on our descriptions of how the cosmos behaves, whether consciously or unconsciously. 

I like this! Especially about not fooling ourselves,  I like evidence of reality, that's if of coarse, im to act accordingly with the rest of society....My biggest hurdle is but undermining why "at least" in our modern era, technology does not serve the privilege of affordability to everyone.

Which makes me think science may be better described as technological advances for business just as any other business..

Although I may be wrong, its better to ask than to asume....

1 hour ago, MigL said:

It comes as no surprise that you need to ask the question.
( you may need to ask the same about Mathematics )

I will later..😎

Edited by CuriosOne

11 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

I like this!

Your approval means the world to me

11 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

why "at least" in our modern era, technology does not serve the privilege of affordability to everyone.

The future is already here. It’s just not evenly distributed.

Your concerns appear to be more with policy and politics... or, more specifically, other humans with human failings... not with science. 

Edited by iNow

45 minutes ago, iNow said:

Your approval means the world to me

The future is already here. It’s just not evenly distributed.

Your concerns appear to be more with policy and politics... or, more specifically, other humans with human failings... not with science. 

I hope so, I would hate to see the next exploration of the universe "plane ride" caters to the super rich, it's bad enough a typical telescope project is pretty pricey..

1 hour ago, CuriosOne said:

My biggest hurdle is but undermining why "at least" in our modern era, technology does not serve the privilege of affordability to everyone.

Actually in the modern era it has been more accessible than anytime else in history. For the longest time, philosophical and scientific pursuit were exclusively in the hand of the rich and powerful. Access to higher education is uneven, but increasing. Some countries have lowered the financial limitation more than others, by e.g. having no significant tuition fees (though there is still the challenge of supporting oneself while studying).

There are also other means of self-improvement such as free online courses that one can take to enrich one's knowledge and so on. If you are saying that benefits are also concentrated among the rich, then it is more of an economic problem and inherent to capitalist societies, not a science problem per se.

4 hours ago, Area54 said:

Science is about discovery. A substantial proportion of scientists are it because they are intrigued by discovery. So science certainly leads to a gain of knowledge. I hope you are not offended by the notion that scientists also welcome a salary for the work they do.

Invention lies much more in the field of engineering where profit and gain are what powers further engineering developments.

Not in any significant way.

No idea what you mean?

Of course the application of some scientific discoveries have had negative consequences. That is more in the hands of politiicians, businessmen and the general public than it is in the hands of scientists. And the vast majority of discoveries have been beneficial, or at worst neutral.

And yet, while I maintained contact with my parents during the occassional letter when I was on the other side of the planet I can use the internet to video visit with my children and granchildren every week.

Science has identified global warming and offered solutions. Famine would be infinitely worse without scientific developments in agriculture. Climate change, as for global warming, which is just a synonym.

Application of science can often best be achieved via business model. Do you think that is a problem.

Finally you ask a good question. Answer: pretty much.

All your answers seems uniformly correct, I guess we draw a balance from good scientist and bad scientists..

I truly believe scientist should get paid for what they do, obviously they need to make a living somehow, they are human like everyone else..

I think I need to start looking at engineering as the technologically innovative side and science on the more "illuminating side" I think their is a fine line between the two in my opinion and observation.

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

Actually in the modern era it has been more accessible than anytime else in history. For the longest time, philosophical and scientific pursuit were exclusively in the hand of the rich and powerful. Access to higher education is uneven, but increasing. Some countries have lowered the financial limitation more than others, by e.g. having no significant tuition fees (though there is still the challenge of supporting oneself while studying).

There are also other means of self-improvement such as free online courses that one can take to enrich one's knowledge and so on. If you are saying that benefits are also concentrated among the rich, then it is more of an economic problem and inherent to capitalist societies, not a science problem per se.

This much is true I must agree, there are also free seminars on Youtube from some very well respected College Universities..."However" I've yet to see this availability reflect the job market it educates in the real world, and see a more variety of culture working in the science fields..

Edited by CuriosOne

13 hours ago, CuriosOne said:

Control?

Everything can be said to be business, under a cynical perspective.

Art is business.

Healthcare is business.

Religion is business.

Manufacturing is business.

Entertainment is business.

Even adultery, friendship or murder can be business as well.

Toys, education, music, literature, sports, holidays, and food are business too.