UK consumer complaints

fiveworlds

Who do I contact about consumer complaints in the UK. Samsung recently offered a free phone with my purchase but are refusing to give me the phone even though the terms and conditions said it was ok to order from Ireland and their staff reiterated that to me after purchasing the product they changed their tune to haha you aren't in the UK.

Kinda depends what your complaint is.

And also what you have already said to the supplier and who the supplier actually was (ie Samsung or Currys or ..?)

It is always best to formally, but politely, follow the letter of the (consumer) law so that you do not give away some of your consumer rights from the outset.

The appropriate phrases are.

I am cancelling the contract for a full refund as the goods were not of the quality demanded and/or suitable for the purpose sold.
I like to add
I may choose to simply buy another working one from you with the refund. This, of course, is then a new contract.

If you do not start with this you may allow the supplier to 'send away for repair /replacement or have to accept a credit note or other lesser result.

Other actions you can take are the trading standards office. They tend to be slow and prefer larger target cases than individual.

I have also found that proposing to write to (or actually do so) the chairman in Japan about the events and the company image in the UK often gets great results.
Particularly with Japanses companies who are very image sensitive.
The UK subsidiary management often feel that it is their place block complaints, rather than deal with and sort them.

2 minutes ago, studiot said:

Kinda depends what your complaint is.

And also what you have already said to the supplier and who the supplier actually was (ie Samsung or Currys or ..?)

It is always best to formally, but politely, follow the letter of the (consumer) law so that you do not give away some of your consumer rights from the outset.

The appropriate phrases are.

I am cancelling the contract for a full refund as the goods were not of the quality demanded and/or suitable for the purpose sold.
I like to add
I may choose to simply buy another working one from you with the refund. This, of course, is then a new contract.

If you do not start with this you may allow the supplier to 'send away for repair /replacement or have to accept a credit note or other lesser result.

The appropriate phrase is, I've reported this to the TV people...

I have also found that proposing to write to (or actually do so) the chairman in Japan about the events and the company image in the UK often gets great results.
Particularly with Japanses companies who are very image sensitive.
The UK subsidiary management often feel that it is their place block complaints, rather than deal with and sort them.

That is something I would not have thought to do. 

It was BuyItDirect that sold it to me. I asked them about it and they just fobbed it off as not their problem and to contact Samsung.

I like to add

Well that would be the last resort. The promotion https://www.samsung.com/uk/qled-tv-free-galaxy-z-flip-phone-package/ is over now so if I bought a new TV after returning it I still wouldn't get the phone.