autism brain connectivity

Hans de Vries

It is included in both DSM-5 and ICD-10 as "autism spectrum discorder" so it is considered a disorder at least at that moment. It may be removed in the future though :)

I myself possess many traits of the spectrum and I'm at least halfway between NT and autism. 

Edited by Hans de Vries

1 hour ago, Hans de Vries said:

It is included in both DSM-5 and ICD-10 as "autism spectrum discorder" so it is considered a disorder at least at that moment. It may be removed in the future though :)

I myself possess many traits of the spectrum and I'm at least halfway between NT and autism. 

Is there such a thing as a 'perfect human ' on these scales ?

In actual fact don't we all appear somewhere on them ?

20 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

BTW sorry if you felt offended.

It’s alright...water under the bridge :) Reading back over my own post, it was a bit harsher than it probably needed to be.

o you think your autism is inherited?

I don’t know. This isn’t my area of scientific expertise, but I would guess there are genetic as well as environmental factors at play.

Are there other people in your family who show traits of the spectrum?

Not as far as I can tell, no.

15 hours ago, iNow said:

Thank you Markus for being so open and eloquent here. It's not always easy to speak of such personal matters, I've learned a tremendous amount from your posts, and have also found a good number of your descriptions to be quite relatable to my own experiences.

No worries, glad it was of value :) 
I generally find that, in normal everyday life, being open about being on the spectrum - and what that means and entails - actually makes things a lot easier for everyone concerned. So nearly always I find it easy to speak about my autism, even to strangers.

Btw, for whoever is interested, here is my skills chart:

9ED236BC-91DE-4198-8216-A65C125131F1.png

So I rate very highly on abstract intellectual thinking, and relate well to other people on the spectrum - that precisely corresponds to my real life experience. The one thing that is not reflected here though is the fact that I can communicate pretty well in written form, just not verbally.

Edited by Markus Hanke

2 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

Do you think autism is more common among people of high intelligence? Or it's just people with high intelligence and autism both share some characteristics that make them be mistaken for one another often?

Have you considered trying to research these questions yourself and then coming here to clarify any details you don’t fully grasp (instead of asking to be spoon-fed and burdening others to do the work for you)?

18 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

Do you think autism is more common among people of high intelligence?

I don’t know if there is any correlation - and I guess that would also very much depend on how exactly you choose to define “intelligence”, because that’s not so clear-cut.
I think a more important observation is that the skill profiles of people on the spectrum are “spiky” - we score very highly in some areas, and very low in others, so there is a variation in scores that is much larger than would generally be the case for an average NT.

18 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

Or it's just people with high intelligence and autism both share some characteristics that make them be mistaken for one another often?

Perhaps so, I don’t really know.