Physician Seeking Computer Science Insight/Assistance

Doc9

Greetings!  Thank you in advance for reading my post.  If you are willing/able to provide any assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Request: I am seeking a point of contact with expertise in video image processing to provide insight and guidance on appropriate data formatting for follow on neural network analytics.

Background: I am a physician who is developing a research project that uses video data to derive diagnostic indicators.  I have a deep understanding of the medical problem sets and a sense of what is possible using various emerging AI capabilities.  However, I have significant technical knowledge gaps regarding the bridge between data collection and data analytics.  I am trying to avoid the scenario where extensive funding and resources have been applied to collect the data and it is not optimized or feasible for analysis.

Other: There are potential avenues for compensation and/or collaboration related to assistance with this project.

Thank you!

Generally, graphics can be stored in still images, which can be losslessly compressed (e.g. PNG), or lossy compressed (JPEG).

There are not many video lossless compression file formats. MPEG, MP4, AVI are typically lossy compressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_compression

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy_compression

Digital cameras store JPEG still photos, or MP4 videos. Both lossy compression.

On 12/11/2020 at 4:53 PM, Doc9 said:

I am trying to avoid the scenario where extensive funding and resources have been applied to collect the data and it is not optimized or feasible for analysis.

..you should keep original raw photos and videos... just in case you will have to restart learning from scratch..

Single 10 Mpix JPEG photo takes ~2.5 MB, so 1 TB SSD (for $100) will be enough for 400,000 still photos.

We have limited idea of what the content of the videos will be. We had a previous example where we can easily count individual birds but would have difficulty counting a flock of birds with touching wings. The resolution of the images is very important if you need to distinguish specific things.

image.png.c4bc1fd86c590efd1d2136870fa6c5f8.png

image.thumb.png.31ec7d9c211bf837cd6e2435c0ea772d.png

To give a medical example you could have a slide under the microscope of patient blood. But if the cells are too clumped together it can be difficult for the computer to match the shapes of the cells against known illnesses.

image.png.8b50e5837df93d86fbda14041acf9be6.png

Edited by fiveworlds