Why do you think these forums aren't as popular as some others?

Saiyan300Warrior

It kind of reminds me of bodybuilding forums, the losing fat section, people come in with ideas of fat loss and how they think things are when it comes to weight loss. People usually are told to read the stickies or to simply go on a calorie deficit diet, all diets work by making you eat less than the amount of calories you burn. So with here people come in with ideas of science and how it works but people are usually told how to do stuff properly with common science methods etc... maybe that is one reason why these forums isn't as popular as other because people can't express their ideas without being corrected. 

Edit: Also, no offence, kind of seems like pointless arguing as well at time, like "you said this when I didn't say that" or someone says some weird word like "apriori" and then means other guy is wrong, it's like people get lost in boring arguments that lead nowhere. But maybe that is science!

Edited by Saiyan300Warrior

Rules and good moderation.

Some people can’t stand being told their freedom isn’t unlimited. This forum thrives in part because there are expectations on discussion approaches and consequences when they’re not followed. 

2 hours ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

maybe that is one reason why these forums isn't as popular as other because people can't express their ideas without being corrected. 

If you are talking about body building it really doesn't matter much if you don't make the distinction between "they NEVER drink whey protein", and "they RARELY drink whey protein".

In science however, the distinction between 'never' and 'rarely' is enormous. In science accuracy is critical. If you come to a science forum you need to be accurate or you will be corrected. 

This isn’t a “make up any stupid thing you want” forum or “argue in bad faith” forum. It’s a science forum. 

This site also attracts many highly intelligent people. Some individuals feel intimidated and insecure in these environments because it shines a bright burning light on their own flaws and limitations so leave.

I look at it like this... if I want to get good at tennis, I could play against a bunch of kindergartners and feel really good about all the winning I’m doing, or I could play against the best in the world getting my ass kicked every time and come away a FAR better player than when I started.

Edited by iNow

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

If you are talking about body building it really doesn't matter much if you don't make the distinction between "they NEVER drink whey protein", and "they RARELY drink whey protein".

In science however, the distinction between 'never' and 'rarely' is enormous. In science accuracy is critical. If you come to a science forum you need to be accurate or you will be corrected. 

I don't think anyone really says that in bodybuilding, whey protein is just a lower calorie substitute for foods with protein in it. Also accuracy is important for a lot of other things too even bodybuilding, from losing weight to reaching low body fat percentages. 

You missed my point. I'm not talking about whey protein, I'm talking about the words 'never' and 'rarely', hence the reason those words are all in caps.

People in bodybuilding say 'never' and 'rarely' just like they do in science. The distinction between the two is more important in science.

Edited by zapatos

6 minutes ago, zapatos said:

You missed my point. I'm not talking about whey protein, I'm talking about the words 'never' and 'rarely', hence the reason those words are all in caps.

People in bodybuilding say 'never' and 'rarely' just like they do in science. The distinction between the two is more important in science.

You have fallen into my trap. I have successfully baited you into a pointless argument about the importance accuracy. 

1 hour ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

I have successfully baited you into a pointless argument about the importance accuracy. 

What is the purpose to bait members into arguments you find pointless? Why not help making these forums more popular, for instance by contributing something that allows for fruitful discussions instead of "traps"?

1 hour ago, MigL said:

That's Clint Eastwood; a legend.

That image is from From High Plains Drifter ?

5 hours ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

You have fallen into my trap. I have successfully baited you into a pointless argument about the importance accuracy. 

!

Moderator Note

It’s usually not a good idea to admit to arguing in bad faith. 

Don’t you recall a recent thread where you were told the staff is still evaluating your contributions here, and debating your reinstatement?

3 hours ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

Sorry I didn't mean it in trollish way I meant in joking way, forgot to add some emote or something to make it look like sarcasm ":p"

I think we'd have a LOT more members if it weren't for those who don't take it seriously or think rigor is boring. I don't mean this in a joking way.

9 hours ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

I have successfully baited you into a pointless argument about the importance accuracy. 

No argument about the importance of accuracy is pointless in a science context. Your thread has provided a timely reminder of this. Timely, that is, for you. The rest of us are, I think, already aware of the point.

7 hours ago, Ghideon said:

That image is from From High Plains Drifter ?

No, Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns.
A Fistful of Dollars.
For a Few Dollars More.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Clint was known as 'the man with no name'.
But Tuco called him 'Blondie' in the good/bad/ugly.

26 minutes ago, Externet said:

I prefer not-popular forum sites with few well educated members than 'popular' sites pushing to social characteristics discussing garbage.

So, thank you for not making this forum popular crowded to your taste.

Most of your posts seems like garbage too man, maybe you like it less popular so you feel like you can stand out with your 100 points and useless inventions 

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

I think we'd have a LOT more members if it weren't for those who don't take it seriously or think rigor is boring. I don't mean this in a joking way.

No I think this website just sucks man, tell me when you earn a living from gaining 5000 points you loser,

6 minutes ago, MigL said:

No, Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns.
A Fistful of Dollars.
For a Few Dollars More.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Clint was known as 'the man with no name'.
But Tuco called him 'Blondie' in the good/bad/ugly.

I think you missed his point. Your avatar image was only taken from one film, not all of those you listed.

Cue Saiyan now telling me I'm pointlessly arguing.... 

This goes to all of you high point losers with no life, you just jump on like a pack of wolves on anyone who disrupts your fantasy science world where you pointlessly argue about anything for the sake of it. Quite retarded actually. If you were so smart then why haven't you produced anything novel from your drivel.

Just now, koti said:

You're here preventing it. 

Ahh another loser wolf from the pack out to attack anyone that wants to break their fantasy world called scienceforums, lets all just fken argue all day about useless stuff that gets us no where and act like we are the pioneers of science in this world. Pathetic mate