Can I change my name to an old banned account name?

46 minutes ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

My old account was called "Achilles" and it was banned last year. I was wondering, since it isn't in use, if I could use it as my username for this account.

Unlikely. Such column (user name) in database is the most likely defined as UNIQUE.

https://www.mysqltutorial.org/mysql-unique-constraint/

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/partitioning-limitations-partitioning-keys-unique-keys.html

In that case admins would have to login to the MySQL database administration utility, and change user name column in the row of the banned account, then change the current username column to "Achilles".

Doable if you have admin privileges and enough knowledge (like SQL database programming skills)..

Edited by Sensei

Sensei is correct from a dbase perspective, but ignores the process standpoint. 

You’re operating a sockpuppet account. Sockpuppet accounts are against the rules to which we all agree when creating user profiles here. 

The ban previously executed against your other profile is in reality a ban which applies more broadly to you as a human being. The ban was to prevent you from further interactions with other human beings here, not solely to that one other username in isolation. 

Said another way... Technically, you’re still banned.

If the staff agrees that your posting privileges should be allowed to persist, then the only logical approach IMO is to ban this current incarnation of you under this most recent user profile and to then as a next step unban the previous profile / version of you and allow posting privileges to recommence under that umbrella. 

Edited by iNow

Well I did make my first post about wanting to use these forums again after having been banned a year back and the admins seem to have let me keep posting still (which is good news to me, thanks!). If I were able to get my old account back and also change my email address to a new one that would be nice, but I forgot my old email address so I cant prove really it's my old acc other than same IP. But IP can be same if you use same VPN, example I was confused with a spamming account because we were both using the free VPN for opera browser.

2 hours ago, iNow said:

If the staff agrees that your posting privileges should be allowed to persist, then the only logical approach IMO is to ban this current incarnation of you under this most recent user profile and to then as a next step unban the previous profile / version of you and allow posting privileges to recommence under that umbrella. 

That makes sense also from a technical point of view*. If user name is change and reuse is allowed, what should happen to quotes in old posts, links to user profile, post counts, reputation point etc? Handling all of that is of course possible but it requires functions in forum software or (lots) of administration by moderators. 

*) I have no insight in the internals of this forum, my comment is more about user name reuse and related issues in general.

7 hours ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

the admins seem to have let me keep posting still 

Your old account got banned due to your flipping out at one point over some topic, instead of for persistent rules violations. When you finally approached staff asking for another chance, we decided to wait and see if your style has improved. 

It's not up to me, an Admin would have to make the changes, but I'm inclined to think you're focusing more on the name and less on why you're being allowed to stay despite opening sockpuppet accounts. Will a name change improve the science in your posts? 

I think the whole staff is still on the fence wrt to this current account. You still have a tendency towards lazy methodology, but you seem more receptive to mainstream explanations, at least. We all figured you were young when you first joined, and perhaps had a bad patch, so you got a second chance. 

12 hours ago, iNow said:

Sensei is correct from a dbase perspective, but ignores the process standpoint. 

You’re operating a sockpuppet account. Sockpuppet accounts are against the rules to which we all agree when creating user profiles here. 

Registering more than one account to yourself is not permitted without administrative approval (from rule 2.9)

They got approval

13 hours ago, Saiyan300Warrior said:

My old account was called "Achilles" and it was banned last year. I was wondering, since it isn't in use, if I could use it as my username for this account.

Yes, it was banned, and I think it would be a bad idea for people to be able to look through your posts that got you banned, and see that you are active, rather than associating the marginally better posts you’ve made since your return with your current name.

So this would not get my vote.