Hijack from Probability in MWI

POVphysics

6 minutes ago, Markus Hanke said:
On 11/29/2020 at 12:02 AM, POVphysics said:

In a Wave functions = expanding gravitons interpretation, the gravitons are supposed to begin at a point, expand spherically at the speed of light, and eventually overlap

Like I said in my previous comment, trying to quantise gravity in terms of the usual quantum field theoretic framework doesn’t work, so the entire concept of ‘graviton’ is highly suspect at best. The mathematics simply don’t work. 

But even if they did, then gravitons would be elementary particles subject to all the usual rules that apply to spin-2 bosons, so they wouldn’t have a volume that could somehow ‘expand’.

Then we have a problem.  The universe actually occupies a very large volume.  The universe is expanding since it was a point at the big bang.  Gravity is a fact.  Gravity is caused by curvature of spacetime geometry.  Gravitons are  the carriers of gravity; since gravity is caused by curvature of spacetime, I simply drew the conclusion that gravitons have volume.  Gravitons overlap in a way that produces spacetime. 

You said there was a problem with spin-2 bosons not being able to fill all space; can you please help me understand what the problem is?  Because I got the idea that gravitons expand from the whole universe expanding from a point.

11 hours ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

This kind of speculation doesn't belong in the mainstream sections. Please support these kinds of statements in a new thread in our Speculations section.

The Many World Interpretation is not an empirically based interpretation.  Why shouldn't the whole thread be moved to the Speculation section?

This is a picture of the hydrogen electron orbital probability distribution that is calculated using quantum mechanics.  Can someone please point to where the other infinite universes are in the many world interpretation?

https://i0.wp.com/bugman123.com/Physics/Quantum.jpg

1 hour ago, POVphysics said:

Gravitons are  the carriers of gravity; since gravity is caused by curvature of spacetime, I simply drew the conclusion that gravitons have volume. 

That conclusion does not follow, and even the premise is somewhat faulty - gravitons, were they real, would only mediate changes in the gravitational field. Setting String Theory and other unproven conjectures aside for now, no elementary particle has any kind of volume; they behave as point-like objects.

You said there was a problem with spin-2 bosons not being able to fill all space; can you please help me understand what the problem is?

They would be point-like objects, just as all other elementary particles - these entities do not possess a property such a ‘volume’.

1 minute ago, Markus Hanke said:

Gravitons are  the carriers of gravity; since gravity is caused by curvature of spacetime, I simply drew the conclusion that gravitons have volume. 

That conclusion does not follow, and even the premise is somewhat faulty - gravitons, were they real, would only mediate changes in the gravitational field. Setting String Theory and other unproven conjectures aside for now, no elementary particle has any kind of volume; they behave as point-like objects.

It is appropriate to set string theory aside because it is not empirically based. 

When you say that particles don't have volume, what do you call this? 

https://roley-physics.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/9/6/24962742/5459876.png?468

Maybe you don't see it, so I'll tell you what I see.  From every point along the distance "a" there is a wavefront that starts from a point.  All these wave fronts undergo interference patterns.  Here is another picture with interference patterns.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Two_Slit_Interference%2C_2500nm_wl%2C_0.1mm_d%2C_close_up.png/600px-Two_Slit_Interference%2C_2500nm_wl%2C_0.1mm_d%2C_close_up.png

What is special about the 2 slit experiment is that individual photons land on the screen as if they were waves.  I am arguing that gravitons are those waves that behave like spacetime geometry because they are spacetime geometry.  Do you notice the geometry of distance D, theta and y?  The gravitons are moving so fast, that the interference patterns are really like film projections. 

http://japanalytic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Film-Projector.jpg

Instead of slides passing in front of a light, the interference pattern is really created by a constant supply of gravitons that expand like a spherical wave front.

3 hours ago, POVphysics said:

The Many World Interpretation is not an empirically based interpretation.  Why shouldn't the whole thread be moved to the Speculation section?

!

Moderator Note

MWI isn't a theory, it's an interpretation (so "empirically-based" does not apply), and we can go look it up in a textbook. It's mainstream.

When you are told to not continue posting your pet theory in a mainstream thread, it is neither a suggestion nor a negotiation. You're being told you have crossed a line, that's described by our rules.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.