BT's legal issue....

albertlee

We all know that most of the content downloaded from BT are illegal.

And I have heard a new very long ago that FBI were persuing BT seeds provider and have caught a few, the most famous one is elitetorrents.org.

but why, as you google, the BT seeds providers are just numberous, and easily found, why are those still existing, not taken by the FBI??

Albert

yeah. for example. http://www.piratebay.org is one of the biggest trackers around. and they have a special page for the legal threats they have got and their replies. note: in sweden bt trackers are still legal.

http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php

my fav one being

Dear Mr. Neij:
>
> It has been brought to the attention of Electronic Arts Inc. ("EA") that
> the website http://www.piratebay.org with the IP addresses of
> 217.75.120.115, 217.75.120.116, 217.75.120.118 is conducting
> unauthorized activities with respect to EA's copyrighted software, The
> Sims 2.  The aforementioned website is offering and distributing
> bittorrent seeds for an unauthorized downloadable version of this EA
> game.
>
> The infringing material may be found at:
>
> http://www.piratebay.org/download.php/3238103/Sims%202.torrent
>
> http://www.piratebay.org/download.php/3238222/The_Sims2_AlcoholClone-CLO
> NEGAME_Full.Release_%28exclusive_for_trackerwww.prq.to%29.torrent
>

Hello and thank you for contacting us. We have shut down the website in
question.

Oh wait, just kidding. We haven't, since the site in question is fully
legal. Unlike certain other countries, such as the one you're in, we have
sane copyright laws here. But we also have polar bears roaming the
streets and attacking people .

> This unauthorized activity with respect to the distribution of EA's
> software products constitutes infringement of EA's intellectual property
> rights. EA enforces its intellectual property rights very aggressively
> by using every legal option available.

Please don't sue us right now, our lawyer is passed out in an alley from
too much moonshine, so please atleast wait until he's found and doesn't
have a huge hangover...

>
> As you are listed as the registrant for this website, EA demands that
> you immediately and permanently disable access to the aforementioned
> bittorrent seeds for The Sims 2 and any in the future.

You're free to demand anything you want. So are we. We demand that you
cease and desist sending letters like this, since they're frivolous and
meaningless. Where should I send the bill for the consumed diskspace and
bandwidth?

It's not easy to go after each seeder. And in UK ISP's don't give out customer details that easily.

For offering copyrighted software, yes, but the probability of being sued is extremly low and you'd only probably be sued for seeding if you were seeding big time, plus as Bloodhound's post says it's not that easy (btw, nice quote bloodhound!)

So, is there any country that apply US law outside America?

Not US laws, no that's why they are US laws. French laws only apply in France etc...

For some offences alot of countries will charge you when you return, but that's normally quite limited.

Why would they want to?

Ok, what i mean is, for example, my cousin is an American, and he got a fine because he exceeded the speed allowance on the high way in Netherlands, therefore he got a bill mailed back to US from the Netherlands....

or, if I kill a person in Germany, and I fled to England, then why British cop still persue me??

or' date=' if I kill a person in Germany, and I fled to England, then why British cop still persue me??[/quote']

Because murder is illegal in England. But bit torrenting isn't illegal in Sweden...

Ok' date=' what i mean is, for example, my cousin is an American, and he got a fine because he exceeded the speed allowance on the high way in Netherlands, therefore he got a bill mailed back to US from the Netherlands....

or, if I kill a person in Germany, and I fled to England, then why British cop still persue me??[/quote']

They would only pursue you if it was requested by the germans, if you commit a crime in one country then they can request you're arrested and extrodited to them if you flee to another, alot of countries now have treeties to make this faster (have a look at the european arrest warrent). But if you do something one one country which isn't a crime in that country, then another country can't charge you for it normally. But if a british person goes to a country where the legal age for sex is 14 and has sex with a 14 year old when they retrurn to britain they can be charged for the offence, it's the same for the US, although these crimes are very few.

bittorent is legal because all it does it offer a connection between 2 people or more.

.torrent trackers are sometimes legal (in sweden, not america/uk) because they're only .torrent files, no copyright software.

People who download or upload copyrighted material are doing it illegally.

You can however share non-copyrighted material over a p2p network or bittorent, which is legal.

People have a problem with BT not because it is illegal (which it isn't) but because people are using it to do illegal things. (It's like owning a kitchen knife (legal) and killing someone with it (illegal))

What's happening with that new bittorent thingy which was talked about a while back?

what do you mean??

the FBI virtually can find them...

and why dont they just send a letter to them and send a few men there to take their computer and shut down their site??

Any person who is not a US citizen is outside of the FBI's jurisdiction.

Edit: after doing a bit of research I'm not so sure about the above comment. It seems I was thinking of the CIA's jurisdiction which does NOT include US citizens; if the CIA finds that a US citizen is suspect the report must either be thrown out or sent to the FBI. I'm not sure if it works the other way around.

Is it true that Sweden allow people to download/upload illegal content??

If it's not illegal content there then it's not illegal and your comment makes no sence, if I set up my own country and ban people view photos of flowers then that will be illegal content in my view but nothing would stop anyone else in any other country downloading it.

Ok, that Swedish BT provider has numerous seeds that can lead to illegal download/upload of content....

So, what I mean is, of course, the seeds and the tracker itself aren't illegal, but are the people who do this illegal?

then why a bittorent site like elitetorrent is forced to shut down??
Because their website is being used to transfer coprighted material which is illegal.

I mean, it only provides "tools" for people to upload/download.
So as you say it's not technically illegal, hence there's a big court case and it's not simple nor short!

Is it true that Sweden allow people to download/upload illegal content??
Seemingly in Sweden you are allowed to host a torrent tracker, whereas elsewhere, seemingly, you may not.

ok,

After seeing the BT spec, it looks to me it is not all that hard to set up a BT tracker...

so, if I have a tracker, and which in most context is misused, and the authority is upset about that, will they notice me first?? or just send people to catch me??