Could an electron beam be safely used to stop speeding cars?

ScienceNostalgia101

So I noticed yesterday a speed indicator that plainly showed motorists in no uncertain terms how fast above the speed limit they were driving. Motorists ignored this.

I assume there was a hidden camera nearby to catch these speeders so they could be ticketed later on. But that does nothing to prevent them from running over pedestrians in the meantime.

So I was thinking... a car is a Faraday cage, right? As in, it spreads electrons out throughout its exterior, preventing those inside from getting shocked. So why not use an electron gun on cars caught speeding (with an exemption for emergency vehicles, of course) such that the attraction between the negatively charged car and neutral ground would increase surface friction and slow down the car?

Edited by ScienceNostalgia101

That seems like a lot of work ( and possibly dangerous ) when you could do the same with a GPS/computer controlled, engine speed governor.
GPS  tells computer what the speed limit is in that particular area; computer cuts back ignition when that speed is reached.

Don't think many people would like it.

Edited by MigL

2 hours ago, MigL said:

That seems like a lot of work ( and possibly dangerous ) when you could do the same with a GPS/computer controlled, engine speed governor.
GPS  tells computer what the speed limit is in that particular area; computer cuts back ignition when that speed is reached.

When I read the OP, I thought along these lines,  with autonomous cars on the horizon. I think something like you suggest will be standard... it makes sense.

13 hours ago, MigL said:

10 hours ago, StringJunky said:

When I read the OP, I thought along these lines,  with autonomous cars on the horizon. I think something like you suggest will be standard... it makes sense.

There is an alternative way to GPS, which doesn't work everywhere or vry well for real time speed control.
There is an inherent time lag required for measurement.

Sadly Boris and Co do not have the imagination for it, even though they are enchanted by major capital projects.

14 hours ago, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

So why not use an electron gun on cars caught speeding (with an exemption for emergency vehicles, of course) such that the attraction between the negatively charged car and neutral ground would increase surface friction and slow down the car?

Because the X Rays generated by the electron beam hitting things would kill everyone within a few kilometres. (OK the range is a guess; the problem is real.)

Edited by John Cuthber