Star trek technology, How much is possible?

i know alot of people think star trek is all science fiction, but i think some of the technology they have can be made in 20-30 years. or mabye even now, the military has bein expermenting with anti-matter since the 30s.

who knows what they have now.

I used to believe in the philadelphia experiment was real, but now I doubt that it was real.

It is possible tha some sort of smoke screen was being tested or something of that sort, an accident happened and whatever they were testing generated enough heat to melt some of the steel decking plates.

now as for the military using antimatter since the 30's I find that unlikely. because,

A: antimatter was just hypothesised to exist in the 30's

B: the first particle accelerators able to make it didn't exist till the fifties

C: if the military did have all of this advanced antimatter technology, how come they didn't make an antimatter bomb and anounce to the world that they were 10 years ahead of the soviets in weapons technology

D: if the military kept said weapon secret then it is worthless, doomsday devices only work if the other side knows about them (MAD)

E: antimattter takes more energy to produce than you get from reacting it, thus eliminating most uses of it

F: if the government did have antimatter technology and magicly hid all of this advanced research from the public, that would mean they had antimatter before the jet airplane, Radar, nuclear weaponry, the list goes on

Thats about all I care to mention, I could go on but I would get into numbers, as there wouldn't be enough letters to have all my points in

warp drive may come around in the next 50-150 years, look up the albequerqe (SP?) warp drive

1 they would want to keep it a secret

2 its like 20 years before we hear anything TOP SECRET

3 Nasa is already expermenting with warp drive

4 at that time tere wasn't enough anti-matter to make a bomb

5 the reason anti-matter matter reactions are not effiecent is because most of the energy produced is carried away as a nutrino, since it has a nutral charge it can't be effected by EM forces

what about ZPE(zero point energy)?

they've bein expermenting with that for quite a while.

http://www.calphysics.org/zpe.html

1 they would want to keep it a secret

2 its like 20 years before we hear anything TOP SECRET

3 Nasa is already expermenting with warp drive

4 at that time tere wasn't enough anti-matter to make a bomb

5 the reason anti-matter matter reactions are not effiecent is because most of the energy produced is carried away as a nutrino' date=' since it has a nutral charge it can't be effected by EM forces[/quote']

1: no, they wouldn't want to keep it secret as that would violate MAD and render any such weapon useless

2: no, we heard about radar, the jet engine, the H-bomb, the SR-71, the B-2, and the f-117, mostly immediatly after they are created because it improves moral in the country to know that our country can make such things, and were ahead of the soviets

3: no they havn't, to my knowledge no real research is being done into warp drive other than a couple of people writing small papers on the concept of it (it takes far more energy than we could possibly concieve of generating)

4: there still isn't, furthermore even if you had the gram of antimatter required to make a bomb equivalent to the explosive power in a space shuttle (3 mile blast radius) you wouldn't have it for very long as it would escape containment very rapidly. Furthermore making that gram in the first place would take years

5: no, the energy in an antimatter-matter reaction is released in the form of 2 photons. (maybe more for antiprotons, someone confirm?). The reason why antimatter reactions can't be used for power is because it requires 1 photon of equal energy to the mass of the antimatter you intend to create, this means that you have to put just as much energy into the antimatter as you get out. Furthermore because of entropy it will require more energy to create the antimatter than you get from reacting it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_point_energy

^you mean that?

thank you, you gave me just the info i wanted.

:)

one advantige to acting like a "know it all", people want to correct you. thus adding to my knowledge. :)

And yes, that is the site i meant to put, they were both on ZPE, so i got confused.

I used to believe in the philadelphia experiment was real' date=' but now I doubt that it was real.

It is possible tha some sort of smoke screen was being tested or something of that sort, an accident happened and whatever they were testing generated enough heat to melt some of the steel decking plates.

[/quote']

More likely it was just a mish-mash of unrelated bits and pieces thrown together to weave a tale.

One was the de-guassing of ships, a standard practice at the time. This made them non-magnetic and thus "invisible" to magnetic mines and torpedos. This involved wrapping the ship in cables and running alternating current through them.

Also, around that time the Navy was testing a new high frequency generator on some ships. This generator was known to produce corona discharges.

Add the fact that Tesla was known for working with high-frequency coils.

Put them together, shake, and out comes a story about how the Navy made a ship disappear using the theories of Tesla.

One was the de-guassing of ships, a standard practice at the time. This made them non-magnetic and thus "invisible" to magnetic mines and torpedos. This involved wrapping the ship in cables and running alternating current through them.
Degaussing a ship would be pointless for the purpose of stopping magnetic mines, which would stick equally well to magnetized or unmagnetized steel.

Degaussing may have been done for the purpose of improving or correcting for radar/radio transmissions or to counteract corrosion in an experiment.

no the deguassing was used for stopping magnetic mines, as magnetic mines sat several hundred feet underwater and were triggered by the magnetic field of a ship passing overhead.

however that is actually a very good idea janus, are there any accredited witnesses to the philadelphia experiment, as it supposedly occured in the philidelphia harbor or something like that

Then a more accurate statement would be that they were not magnetic mines, simply mines whos detonators were triggered by magnetic fields? Magnetic mine implies that the entire mine is magnetic and would attach itself to the hull of a ship and then detonate, in which case the hull would not need to be magnetized.

in the NASA you linked they mentioned that it was just speculative work

the wikipedia article was just on the fictional warp drive, I didn't read the others as I figured they would be much of the same, I would have trusted your sources a bit more if you had bothered to give a link for the actual scientific warp drive article on wikipedia which was in the see also section of the warp drive article that you linked to.

If you want to demonstrate that real research is being conducted on warp drive rather than a couple of people kicking around ideas, I would suggest you search for scientific papers on the subject from a peer reviewed journal.

i think its possible, and if no one is reasurching it, than its about time they do. warp drive would change the way people think about the universe.

if not warp drive, than teleportation.

ill search for a article conserning teleportation

no one is researching it because it requires the existance of negative energy.

the point I'm trying to make here is that it would be impossible to research these technologies because they require things that we don't know about yet.

it would be like the ancient greeks researching the atomic bomb because they knew about the atom. It just would be impossible

point seen

but it could be possible in the future. its impossible by todays science, but say, 100, mabye as little as 50 years it may be the normal travel.

id be much happier there than here. to many limitations. to many people saying "it's not possible!" they lack imagination, they should say "what if? ".

thats how new theories are made, and new eras in science and exploreation.

people used to think the earth was flat untill somone desided to proove it wrong. thus causing the dicovery of the americas.

"wonder is the seed of knowledge"

actually originally the earth was round, thats what the greeks thought. any see going people would soon discover this fact, (the horizon).

peole think of stuff like this alot, but its mainly just kicking ideas around. If you really want to think about it most research into string and all those GUFT's could be tied to things like warp drive, its just that stuff like warp drive is so far down the road that it can't be seriously contemplated in a research enviroment

there's nothing to research yet. A basic preliminary study has been done which basicly describes what would be needed for a warp drive to work, but to ask someone to actively research it would be like asking a highschool student to derive string theory, no one would know where to start.

or more likely it would be like telling the greeks that an atom has a huge amount of potential energy in it, it may be possible to split it and extract this energy.

If nasa were to fund this actively over the next 5 years they would not really be able to budget it because they would not know what kind of break throughs would occur over this time, or they could discover two years into it that the entire thing is impossible because negative energy does not exist.

this money could be better spent on other things like ion propulsion and the like and let the universities figure out whether or not warp drive is possible by virtue of them just continuing their normal activities