Bromelain

Anchovyforestbane

58 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Why do you think one needs to take it?

Because it helps our own proteolytic enzymes in their job. When one has a diet consisting majorly of protein, the body doesn't usually produce enough of them to process all of it, which is where bromelain can help. 
My question is, per 100 grams protein, how much can the body digest on its own, and how much bromelain should be taken for optimal nutrient absorption?
Simply put; generally speaking, what would be the optimal ratio of bromelain to protein?

Edited by Anchovyforestbane

I was more wondering whether you have got any sources indicating whether bromelain has digestive benefits without other indications? It is difficult to figure out a quantity if it we cannot establish under which condition it would be beneficial in the first place. Conversely, are there studies indicating benefits to treat digestive disorders?

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

I was more wondering whether you have got any sources indicating whether bromelain has digestive benefits without other indications? It is difficult to figure out a quantity if it we cannot establish under which condition it would be beneficial in the first place. 

Here's a brief analysis of proteolytic mechanisms:
http://www2.csudh.edu/nsturm/CHE450/11_Enz. Mech.-Ser Protea.htm

I'm hoping differences in individual biochemistries won't contrast greatly enough to make an average ratio impractical. 

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

Conversely, are there studies indicating benefits to treat digestive disorders?

I would imagine it would be greatly helpful for someone unable to produce proteolytic enzymes themselves, but I can't say I've seen this happening at the time of writing.

Edited by Anchovyforestbane
simplifying vocabulary

1 hour ago, Anchovyforestbane said:

Here's a brief analysis of proteolytic mechanisms:
http://www2.csudh.edu/nsturm/CHE450/11_Enz. Mech.-Ser Protea.htm

I'm hoping differences in individual biochemistries won't contrast greatly enough to make an average ratio impractical. 

I would imagine it would be greatly helpful for someone unable to produce proteolytic enzymes themselves, but I can't say I've seen this happening at the time of writing.

That is what I am going for. The issue is not whether it has proteolytic activities, it is more whether and when it would actual have an health benefit. I have not seen any reports that suggest it being used in folks with digestive issues and from there it is difficult to assume that it would have benefits in folks that do not have digestive issues. And if it is now known to have benefits, it is unlikely that there is an optimal ratio to be found.