Should we reply to the WOW! Signal?

alfa015222

What makes you think no one has …

Response[edit]

In 2012, on the 35th anniversary of the Wow! signal, Arecibo Observatory beamed a digital stream towards Hipparcos 34511, 33277, and 43587.[29] The transmission consisted of approximately 10,000 Twitter messages solicited for the purpose by the National Geographic Channel, bearing the hashtag "#ChasingUFOs" (a promotion for one of the channel's TV series).[30] The sponsor also included a series of video vignettes featuring verbal messages from various celebrities.[31]

To increase the probability that any extraterrestrial recipients would recognize the signal as an intentional communication from another intelligent life form, Arecibo scientists attached a repeating-sequence header to each individual message, and beamed the transmission at roughly 20 times the power of the most powerful commercial radio transmitter.[30 

From the Wiki article on WOW signal...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

2 hours ago, MigL said:

What makes you think no one has …

In 2012, on the 35th anniversary of the Wow! signal, Arecibo Observatory beamed a digital stream towards Hipparcos 34511, 33277, and 43587.

The closest, Hipparcos 43587, is about 41 light years away, so we still have a number of years before the aliens come and eat us. 

27 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

The closest, Hipparcos 43587, is about 41 light years away, so we still have a number of years before the aliens come and eat us. 

If you can travel 41 light years with a decent velocity, you can also create e.g. artificial meat, change genome of microorganisms to force production of any kind of organic chemical compounds, proteins, fats, sugars, etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

If you can travel 41 light years with a decent velocity, you can also create e.g. artificial meat, change genome of microorganisms to force production of any kind of organic chemical compounds, proteins, fats, sugars, etc. etc.

The rich ones get tired of that artificial crap. They await fresh signals from emerging but naive intelligence...

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

My feelings exactly. The average inter-species behaviour in this planet is trying to either outwit or outrun your predator or your prey.

Other interesting possibilities are host-parasite, pet-master...

6 minutes ago, joigus said:

My feelings exactly. The average inter-species behaviour in this planet is trying to either outwit or outrun your predator or your prey.

I guess if they're going to take us for nice walks and pick up our poop...then signal away!

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

6 hours ago, alfa015222 said:

Hello,

I recently wrote a paper (which I present here ) suggesting which star has the highest probability of being the source of the WOW! Signal.

Do you think that we should reply to the WOW! Signal or not?

!

Moderator Note

You need to summarize the video if you are going to link to it. Posting just to advertise your youtube channel is against the rules.

Also: a video is not a research paper

According to Wiki, the blue shift of the Hydrogen line frequency indicates a relative motion of about 10 km/sec towards us.
So they are already coming for us !!!
( might take some time, as they are 41 LY away )

3 minutes ago, MigL said:

According to Wiki, the blue shift of the Hydrogen line frequency indicates a relative motion of about 10 km/sec towards us.
So they are already coming for us !!!
( might take some time, as they are 41 LY away )

Or at least they were....43 years ago!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, alfa015222 said:

Hello,

I recently wrote a paper (which I present here ) suggesting which star has the highest probability of being the source of the WOW! Signal.

How long did the signal tale to reach us?  Is there even a way to know?  IS the source within this galaxy? and if so is it still in the same place because the galaxy rotates. 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:42 AM, J.C.MacSwell said:

It seems unlikely that aliens would want to eat meat from a different planet.  Even people on Earth prefer what they are accustomed to eating.

3 hours ago, Airbrush said:

It seems unlikely that aliens would want to eat meat from a different planet.  Even people on Earth prefer what they are accustomed to eating.

On 11/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, J.C.MacSwell said:

The rich ones get tired of that artificial crap. They await fresh signals from emerging but naive intelligence...

They'd be looking for delicacies to set themselves apart from the commoners....never underestimate the power of elite alien snobbery.

7 hours ago, Airbrush said:

I've been to a few 'wild game' dinners.
Not really my 'cup of tea', as I prefer what I'm accustomed to eating.
But some definitely like 'strange' foods.

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2020 at 3:09 PM, alfa015222 said:

Hello,

I recently wrote a paper (which I present here ) suggesting which star has the highest probability of being the source of the WOW! Signal.

Yes I do believe we should reply to the wow signal because with all our advancements in science are sourced from simple concepts and ideas and the rudimental question of our we alone is possibly eternally hanging over us as a species so to start answer this question let's get back to basics and start to wonder again what if? As it's this concept of questioning with its child like innocence that has already yielded so much for for our species to learn and develop we need to see the bigger picture and not be afraid to ask questions that might make us look unintelligent like children and that what we are in cosmos terms.... Children of the cosmic spectrum dancing through eternity to beat of possibly somthing greater tune. 

On 11/14/2020 at 7:41 PM, joigus said:

Maybe that's why they only sent one signal.

They weren't trying to say hello, just seeing if anything replied, so they could evaluate if we were a danger or not before revealing themselves. 

They could've sent one out in every direction and just waited for any responses.

1 hour ago, Curious layman said:

Maybe that's why they only sent one signal.

They weren't trying to say hello, just seeing if anything replied, so they could evaluate if we were a danger or not before revealing themselves. 

They could've sent one out in every direction and just waited for any responses.

The thing about inter-stellar communication is that you must wait there for an answer for such an awfully long time that there is no prospect of anything in the way of a meaningful conversation.

It wouldn't be "hey, we're here" as much as, "hey, we were here at some point". :(