How to Deactivate My Account??

Just now, Phi for All said:

This is my guess. You post like you want to disrupt what everyone else is doing so they can pay attention to you. LOTS of hijacks and off-topic posts. It's a shame, you seem very intelligent.

One of the hallmarks of the scientific mind is that it's NEVER bored. There's always something interesting, but you have to be willing to be amazed. If you start out bored and ignorant, you'll remain that way.

I 100% agree with you..except the area of disruption..

My field of study is very unique, its not practical in any one sense, so "in a way" it disturbs practical thinking..

3 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Who are you quoting? For example, who said "unless" in a previous conversation that you feel the need to quote now?

It was a quote on "how" a member cannot delete their post even after being banned or just leaving, this forum still keeps their post active....

17 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

See Section 5: Disclaimer and Copyright in the guidelines: https://www.scienceforums.net/guidelines/

Yes I've read this, and it "does" mention the forum "will not delete" posts, however it also does not say that upon "re-quests" by the publisher the forum will still not delete a post and keep it public with or without the scrutiny, criticism, comments and etc..

It does however go on to say that within guidelines of laws post "maybe" deleting and or removed, but copyrighted material and even patented material is still run by laws, so I missed something there...😎

Section 5: Disclaimer and Copyright
ScienceForums.net staff will not be held liable for any damages, be they indirect, incidental, consequential, special, or exemplary that you may incur by using this site or information contained within. Opinions expressed by users do not always represent the opinions of ScienceForums.net staff. ScienceForums.net cannot verify the validity of all statements made and is not responsible for the accuracy or correctness of information contained in any threads, posts, private messages, or comments.

Unless otherwise specified, all content is copyrighted by its respective author, including all private messages, posts, and comments. By posting content on ScienceForums.net, you agree to grant ScienceForums.net usage rights to that content within the confines of the site, and other members the right to quote and respond to that content. Reposting or disseminating content from ScienceForums.net to other websites or through other media is not permissible without permission of the author. ScienceForums.net staff may be required to edit, move, or delete certain content to comply with forum rules or applicable law, but will not delete posts or accounts on request except to comply with rules or law. Flying monkeys are the responsibilities of their respective owners.

ScienceForums.net is based in the United Kingdom, and all posts must conform to the laws established there. Posts that violate United Kingdom law will be referred to the proper authority, regardless of the legal status of the post in the user's country if different from the United Kingdom.

3 hours ago, iNow said:

And when you decide to open your own forum, you can explore whether that’s a possible option on the various software platforms available to support it.

Out of curiosity, when you arrive to a restaurant or to a friends house, do you also tell them how they should decorate their walls or tell them to start moving around their furniture to better suit your personal preferences over theirs?

It depends, if the restaurant owner is my friend, and I know they can sell more fries with my advice and I can have better tasting fries then why not?? We both benefit...

If their house had a potential by adding a basement and we could all play video games there "and enjoy life" then why not?? We both benefit..

Sometimes being bosy benefits people for the better..

Hope we have quantum computers by the time I open my own forum..

12 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Are those members of this forum???

Did you guys get bored over the weekend and make a video???

Very impressive...🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Edited by CuriosOne

44 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

It does however go on to say that within guidelines of laws post "maybe" deleting and or removed, but copyrighted material and even patented material is still run by laws, so I missed something there...

Maybe you missed the part where you gave ScienceForums.net the rights to use your content: 

"By posting content on ScienceForums.net, you agree to grant ScienceForums.net usage rights to that content within the confines of the site, and other members the right to quote and respond to that content."

12 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Maybe you missed the part where you gave ScienceForums.net the rights to use your content: 

"By posting content on ScienceForums.net, you agree to grant ScienceForums.net usage rights to that content within the confines of the site, and other members the right to quote and respond to that content."

What if a producer found your content usfull for a video game idea, a movie or even a theory???

How does the forum get in touch with the "member" that left...

Remember your content is still active here and accessible to anyone..

Edited by CuriosOne

1 hour ago, CuriosOne said:

This is why im sure members who ask to be banned on purpose wish for their material to be deleting to avoid future issues..

You/they should think what you/they write. On the Internet nothing disappears without a trace.. There are web scraping servers and search engines that visit websites and copy everything.

Member of this forum participates in discussion with other members. If content of one member would be entirely deleted, the all threads in which they wrote any post would stop making sense..

Even if their post are ""Copyrighted Material??""

The publisher "member" "OP" owns the rights not the forum..

Deleting posts "should be the sole right of the person whom created the post" its "published" information that they own, "unless" they copied and pasted from other sources, however I'm very sure original ideas have been brought to this forum perhaps under a copyright agreement to be shared publically with the science community..

This is why im sure members who ask to be banned on purpose wish for their material to be deleting to avoid future issues..

This is something I know "Ohh To Well"

Section 5 of the rules you agreed to when you joined:

Unless otherwise specified, all content is copyrighted by its respective author, including all private messages, posts, and comments. By posting content on ScienceForums.net, you agree to grant ScienceForums.net usage rights to that content within the confines of the site, and other members the right to quote and respond to that content. Reposting or disseminating content from ScienceForums.net to other websites or through other media is not permissible without permission of the author. ScienceForums.net staff may be required to edit, move, or delete certain content to comply with forum rules or applicable law, but will not delete posts or accounts on request except to comply with rules or law. Flying monkeys are the responsibilities of their respective owners.

i.e. You agreed to let us use your content (even as you retain copyright) and you agreed to the condition of us not deleting the content. 

edit: I see you acknowledge reading this. 

14 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

What if a producer found your content usfull for a video game idea, a movie or even a theory???

How does the forum get in touch with the "member" that left...

Remember your content is still active here and accessible to anyone..

Copyright means they can’t use the material for profit. The idea behind it isn’t protected.

It’s not our responsibility to get in contact with anyone that left. Yes, the material is still accessible. As it would be if it had been published in print. 

3 minutes ago, swansont said:

i.e. You agreed to let us use your content (even as you retain copyright) and you agreed to the condition of us not deleting the content. 

I view this as a powerful incentive, to those who need it, to think carefully before posting, thus avoiding posts they might later regret. Based upon the content of some posts in some threads, however, it is not a sufficiently powerful incentive.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

You/they should think what you/they write. On the Internet nothing disappears without a trace.. There are web scraping servers and search engines that visit websites and copy everything.

Member of this forum participates in discussion with other members. If content of one member would be entirely deleted, the all threads in which they wrote any post would stop making sense..

In other words, Post are "Integrated."

Kind of which i was trying to figure out when i was asking if 4 is a coefficient or a natural number😉 

What your saying makes perfect sense now...

46 minutes ago, Area54 said:

I view this as a powerful incentive, to those who need it, to think carefully before posting, thus avoiding posts they might later regret. Based upon the content of some posts in some threads, however, it is not a sufficiently powerful incentive.

I agree, especially when speaking on ""incompleted theories"" that have not been previously published and or on its final edit process by the distribution publishers...

This science forum should make a "special note" on that as there are many people whom are prematurely excited to share their ideas with the world without their copyrighted information being "actually published" released and authenticated in news papers or other publicity measures.

This really is a serious issue..

Edited by CuriosOne

14 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

In other words, Post are "Integrated."

Kind of which i was trying to figure out when i was asking if 4 is a coefficient or a natural number😉 

What your saying makes perfect sense now...

Now you are in a better frame of mind, perhaps you are ready to return to one of your many Science questions and view the updates.

Perhaps the infinity one ?

:)

2 hours ago, Area54 said:

I view this as a powerful incentive, to those who need it, to think carefully before posting, thus avoiding posts they might later regret.

Yes. This is often pointed out by moderators when the topic comes up.

2 hours ago, Area54 said:

Based upon the content of some posts in some threads, however, it is not a sufficiently powerful incentive.

I don’t think we will ever eliminate knee-jerk posting.

This science forum should make a "special note" on that as there are many people whom are prematurely excited to share their ideas with the world without their copyrighted information being "actually published" released and authenticated in news papers or other publicity measures.

Caveat emptor. If you don’t read the rules before you agree to them, you’re kinda stuck.

In principle it’s a serious issue. In practice, it’s not. 

3 hours ago, CuriosOne said:

My field of study is very unique, its not practical in any one sense, so "in a way" it disturbs practical thinking..

We see this a LOT. Science is several difficult, complex, and overlapping fields of study, and often those who don't grasp it or invest themselves in its study come up with "alternatives" they've made up that make more sense to them. They often get a certain amount of glee pretending this kind of thinking is "disturbing" to mainstream scientists. It's another version of the "I'm not burdened with all your book-learning" argument. It assumes there's a special  providence in ignorance, a magical quality in starting with a clean slate.

I can see the attraction, if you think of it in terms of the tortoise & the hare in fable. Mainstream science seems plodding and obvious sometimes, and jumping to conclusions is far more fun. And then I remember that it's not about fun, and I become reasonable again.

It depends, if the restaurant owner is my friend, and I know they can sell more fries with my advice and I can have better tasting fries then why not?? We both benefit...

If their house had a potential by adding a basement and we could all play video games there "and enjoy life" then why not?? We both benefit..

I see. You’re clearly just not used to having friends. These examples you gave are absurd and would never happen in practice. They also reinforce your predilection for missing the point and apparent reading comprehension challenges 

I agree, especially when speaking on ""incompleted theories"" that have not been previously published and or on its final edit process by the distribution publishers...

I did not wish to imply that the lack of further guidance within the forum rules and guidelines was a failing on the part of the forum. Rather I was directing my criticism towards members who lack the self control, or experience, or good sense, or courtesy, or enlightened self interest to post only thoughtful, constrained, well constructed, logical posts. Acquiring the self control, experience, good sense etc. can be a painful experience, but it seems to me it is one where the responsibility lies primarily with the individual member paying heed to the rules, which we were all required to read before joining, and paying heed to such guidance as is offered by staff and ordinary members thereafter.

If I had a potentially important hypothesis, regardless of how excited I was about sharing it, my first step would be to explore the various ways it might be shared and  to determine what the strengths and weaknesses of each might be. I wouldn't jump on an internet forum and start spouting incoherently. But maybe that's just me.:)

I notice that no-one has asked about your age, CuriousOne.

If you are under 20, you're still in the 'learning stage' of your life, and people will cut you all kinds of slack, and try to help you.

If you are between 20 and 50, people expect you to know some basics, not be so impulsive ( dare I say scatter-brained ? ) in your actions and posting style.
Once pointed out, they expect you to stop the annoying behaviour and conform, or else you soon find yourself with a sac full of neg reps, suspensions, and even banning.

If you are over 50, I gotta ask …
How did you manage to make it so far in life ??

4 minutes ago, MigL said:

Actually, this came up a day or so ago (and again here in this thread about 6 hours ago from @michel123456).

IIRC (don’t recall which thread it was addressed), he’s in his 50s or maybe early 60s, but even so... I don’t think years lived is nearly as important as mental maturity in this situation 

Edited by iNow

1 hour ago, Area54 said:

I did not wish to imply that the lack of further guidance within the forum rules and guidelines was a failing on the part of the forum. Rather I was directing my criticism towards members who lack the self control, or experience, or good sense, or courtesy, or enlightened self interest to post only thoughtful, constrained, well constructed, logical posts. Acquiring the self control, experience, good sense etc. can be a painful experience, but it seems to me it is one where the responsibility lies primarily with the individual member paying heed to the rules, which we were all required to read before joining, and paying heed to such guidance as is offered by staff and ordinary members thereafter.

If I had a potentially important hypothesis, regardless of how excited I was about sharing it, my first step would be to explore the various ways it might be shared and  to determine what the strengths and weaknesses of each might be. I wouldn't jump on an internet forum and start spouting incoherently. But maybe that's just me.:)

Correct in many ways, but I've known so many people whom innocently share their ideas that end up being taken by others..

42 minutes ago, MigL said:

If you are under 20, you're still in the 'learning stage' of your life, and people will cut you all kinds of slack, and try to help you.

If you are between 20 and 50, people expect you to know some basics, not be so impulsive ( dare I say scatter-brained ? ) in your actions and posting style.
Once pointed out, they expect you to stop the annoying behaviour and conform, or else you soon find yourself with a sac full of neg reps, suspensions, and even banning.

I'm young enough to be a model for Calvin Klein and old enough to dye my hair every month, although the grey look is coming back..

I've got this far in life becuase everyone I know has fallen madly in love with me, even men.. Tough love right?? 🤣😂

5 hours ago, studiot said:

Now you are in a better frame of mind, perhaps you are ready to return to one of your many Science questions and view the updates.

Perhaps the infinity one ?

:)

Yes good idea...

43 minutes ago, MigL said:

Very important datum to me. @iNow comments notwithstanding.

Hormones play a role in all this. I must deal with youngsters every day, and I know only too well. Some very promising students behave like idiots just because of their hormones. You must know this if you're a teacher, or else you can and will do real damage to very valuable brains.

5 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

Correct in many ways, but I've known so many people whom innocently share their ideas that end up being taken by others..

There's not even the shadow of a chance that anybody will steal your ideas, at least those you have exposed on this forum. You've just stuck to your guns only to shoot your foot.

You cannot even begin to imagine how humble you must be in order to be great.

Newton is possibly an exception --he could afford to be feisty and petty.

You declare yourself "curious one," but you sound pretty incurious:

incurious
/ɪnˈkjʊərɪəs/

adjective
adjective: incurious
  1. not eager to know something; lacking curiosity.

2 minutes ago, joigus said:

Very important datum to me. @iNow comments notwithstanding.

Hormones play a role in all this. I must deal with youngsters every day, and I know only too well. Some very promising students behave like idiots just because of their hormones. You must know this if you're a teacher, or else you can and will do real damage to very valuable brains.

There's not even the shadow of a chance that anybody will steal your ideas, at least those you have exposed on this forum. You've just stuck to your guns only to shoot your foot.

You cannot even begin to imagine how humble you must be in order to be great.

Newton is possibly an exception --he could afford to be feisty and petty.

incurious
/ɪnˈkjʊərɪəs/

adjective
adjective: incurious
  1. not eager to know something; lacking curiosity.

I can see your perspective...

10 hours ago, joigus said:

Lack of rigor: his name is Curiosone. This is an international Forum.

Maybe he is Italian or Swiss (like Toblerone).

Or maybe from Curio https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

He (she) only knows.

10 hours ago, joigus said:

That is why I dislike the minus rep points.

Edited by michel123456

31 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

Lack of rigor: his name is Curiosone. This is an international Forum.

Maybe he is Italian or Swiss (like Toblerone).

Or maybe from Curio https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

He (she) only knows.

You missed the diacritics and the fact that these forums are in English. The capital in 'One' clearly suggests the partition 'Curios'+'One'.

But you're right. Only they know.

31 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

That is why I dislike the minus rep points.

Well, I agree. Rep points can be unfair from the other end too. I've been collaborating with a user here on a very interesting question in the Calculus and Analysis section that hasn't got me any reputation points. Though I think it's the best thing I've done here so far. We seem to be doing some progress, which is what matters to me. OTOH, other days I publish a good joke on the jokes section --that I just copied from somewhere else-- and I get three rep points. That's life.

Edited by joigus

24 minutes ago, joigus said:

You missed the diacritics and the fact that these forums are in English. The capital in 'One' clearly suggests the partition 'Curios'+'One'.

But you're right. Only they know.

Ha. My name is in French, and clearly the special code at the end (123456, my invention & copyrighted) is in French!

i was the only one to know that, now you know.

You're being disingenuous, Michel. If somebody writes Tit4Tat, you can pretend all you want they don't mean anything and it could be an Armenian word for all you know. I won't.

AmIRite?

OTOH, if you say 123456, I really don't know what you mean, and I can't figure it out, unless you tell me.