Infinity has an end..

CuriosOne

How so??

If 0--->1  defines any quantity, then the quantity itself has a limit within itself, thus infinity is made of limits within limits and contradicts itself with the very nature that defines it....And what would that be???

The ""limit itself.""

1 hour ago, MigL said:

There are an infinite number of points, or numbers if you will, between zero and one.
But infinity has no 'beginning' and no 'end'.

What is the last number before infinity begins ???

You mean "Eurler's" Number of "Base 10?" It would help a bit..

The last number would need to be the exponent of the number itself, and so far all we really use is a maximum of 2 numbers in a "number with a magnatude."

Example:

h = 6.626e-33 has 2 numbers in the base.

On another note I think I just realized that, it's not the exponent but rather that e as Eurler's constant...."The supposed" most important number in math was what I meant...

1 minute ago, MigL said:

So you think there is a 'last' number just before you reach infinity ?

That's another thing you don't understand.
( and you don't even seem embarrassed about it )

There has to be a last number like there has to be a conserved unit like there has to be a number that is no more divisible than that of an atom itself...

That's common sense and embarrassment is for people whom are trying to impress others and gain something, this is science not Hollywood.....lol

12 hours ago, MigL said:

Infinity is NOT a number.
And it doesn't follow one.

Your thinking is common, but certainly not sensical.

Understood, but can infinity be represented by a number such as pi ratio, or an irrational constant of some sort?

There may be scientific evidence of such..

39 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

can infinity be represented by a number such as pi ratio, or an irrational constant of some sort?

I think Migl already answered that.

39 minutes ago, CuriosOne said:

There may be scientific evidence of such..

What evidence? 

13 hours ago, MigL said:

And it doesn't follow one.

Your thinking is common, but certainly not sensical.

Sorry @MigL, couldn't resist posting a situation where it is reasonable to treat infinity as the next number :-) . In a typical Java implementation: 

System.out.println(Math.nextUp(Float.MAX_VALUE));
/>Infinity

But my example has no implications on mathematics, it's just useful to be aware of in some situations. For instance when trying to explain bugs to stake holders that have no limited mathematical training.

Edited by Ghideon

24 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

I think Migl already answered that.

What evidence? 

Sorry @MigL, couldn't resist posting a situation where it is reasonable to treat infinity as the next number :-) . In a typical Java implementation: 

System.out.println(Math.nextUp(Float.MAX_VALUE));
/>Infinity

But my example has no implications on mathematics, it's just useful to be aware of in some situations. For instance when trying to explain bugs to stake holders that have no limited mathematical training.

My point exactly..not sure bout the bugs and snakes part

Edited by CuriosOne

Infinity has an end?

Infinity means many different things, depending on when it is used. The word is from a Latin word, which means "without end". Infinity goes on forever, so sometimes space, numbers, and other things are said to be 'infinite', because they never come to a stop. ... For example, adding 10 to a number repeatedly. 

Let me know when you reach the end...

49 minutes ago, Casio said:

Infinity has an end?

Infinity means many different things, depending on when it is used. The word is from a Latin word, which means "without end". Infinity goes on forever, so sometimes space, numbers, and other things are said to be 'infinite', because they never come to a stop. ... For example, adding 10 to a number repeatedly. 

So your saying as x-> infinity, infinity  is less 1 of itself??

I speak of the concept of dx---> 5

As delta x approaches 5 but not exactly 5,  where x =4.9999

I hope that made sense becuase it doesn't to me...Not even after years of rigorous caculus study..

3 hours ago, MigL said:

Doesn't make sense to us either ...

By the way, did you pass your Calculus studies ?

You obviously did not read the entire reply, as I posted I was under the awareness that none of it made any sense...

And I studied Calculus for many years and spent lots of money on books on the subject and truly believe I deserve a refund...

Edited by CuriosOne

12 hours ago, Casio said:

Infinity has an end?

Nicely put.  +1

11 hours ago, CuriosOne said:

So your saying as x-> infinity, infinity  is less 1 of itself??

Since you didn't follow the above I will try to put it another way.

There is more than one infinity, in fact there are many infinities.

And every infinity has its own unique properties as well as those it might share with (some) other infinities

The word infinity is like the word sheep. It is used to refer to either a whole flock of sheep and also a particular member of that flock.

If you need to be specific, you need extra words to identify which particular sheep you mean.

It is the same for infinities.

Many so called paradoxes arise because of failure to add these extra distinguishing words.

12 hours ago, studiot said:

Nicely put.  +1

And every infinity has its own unique properties as well as those it might share with (some) other infinities

The word infinity is like the word sheep. It is used to refer to either a whole flock of sheep and also a particular member of that flock.

If you need to be specific, you need extra words to identify which particular sheep you mean.

Many so called paradoxes arise because of failure to add these extra distinguishing words.

paradoxes or even "contradiction??"

Can I see an example please?

It makes sense now..

Edited by CuriosOne

On 11/10/2020 at 3:17 AM, studiot said:

Nicely put.  +1

Here is an image "from a "pre-created list of values" from y=x^2...

Do the numbers "going up" or going "down" "travel" towards infinity towards that 0 in the center??

20201111_112025.jpg

3 hours ago, CuriosOne said:

Here is an image "from a "pre-created list of values" from y=x^2...

Do the numbers "going up" or going "down" "travel" towards infinity towards that 0 in the center??

Well I think this is a perfectly reasonable question and a good one to discuss.

Also I think this is much better put than recent posts (though I would have liked the picture the right way round).

+1 for encouragement to do more of this and start wiping out those red ones.

:)

Perhaps you will notice that there are actually two (or is it three with the negatives) infinities going one here.

There are the numbers being suqred, which are increasing one at a time

and there are the squares themselves

Which are increasing much quickly.

What do you think about this ?