Puerto Rico Statehood Referendum Vote

Endy0816

First step in a long process. Puerto Rico basically agreed to petition congress to consider admitting them as the 51st state. Now congress has to actually do something with it and president needs to sign. House will be on board. President Biden will be on board. GOP led senate will block it. A good step though 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

First step in a long process. Puerto Rico basically agreed to petition congress to consider admitting them as the 51st state. Now congress has to actually do something with it and president needs to sign. House will be on board. President Biden will be on board. GOP led senate will block it. A good step though 

I remain hopeful Republicans might someday realize many Puerto Ricans are socially conservative.

Would love if we could end up having no Territories in the whole country.

8 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

I remain hopeful Republicans might someday realize many Puerto Ricans are socially conservative

You’re clearly a better man than I. 

9 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Would love if we could end up having no Territories in the whole country.

I tend to agree. American Samoa comes to mind, too 

18 hours ago, iNow said:

You’re clearly a better man than I. 

I tend to agree. American Samoa comes to mind, too 

Think I've just lived too long seeing the problems territory status causes for everyone. With representation they could receive the effective investment they need and more broadly better recognition for Latin Americans in general.

Whole of the Caribbean could be turned into a major growth region on our doorstep with only a smidge of effort.

...and yeah American Samoa is another one...  I shake my head at the insanity of what amounts to decades long inaction.

31 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Think I've just lived too long seeing the problems territory status causes for everyone. With representation they could receive the effective investment they need and more broadly better recognition for Latin Americans in general.

Whole of the Caribbean could be turned into a major growth region on our doorstep with only a smidge of effort.

...and yeah American Samoa is another one...  I shake my head at the insanity of what amounts to decades long inaction.

Agree with Puerto Rico, but surely you aren't suggesting Statehood for American Samoa (better treatment and some provision for voting rights aside)?

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Agree with Puerto Rico, but surely you aren't suggesting Statehood for American Samoa (better treatment and some provision for voting rights aside)?

Would personally favor establishing a new official Microstate category(they can vote to become), still with representation, unless interested in joining with other Pacific Territories.

D.C. would be similarly problematic as a State with its own unique issues.

Edited by Endy0816