Jump to content

Are you atheist?


Recommended Posts

On 11/4/2020 at 8:48 AM, CharonY said:

I do the usual cloning sacrifices to Damballa and more rarely Papa Legba, when the former does not respond. Also the mass spec demands blood on a semi-regular basis to the heavenly engineer of "Who-the F-puts sharp-edges-in-here?" as part of the blood ritual called pump maintenance.

In times of darkest need I tend to call upon Illumina tech support. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You cannot be an Atheist. Much as you cannot be a Deist. Unfortunately , many people regard atheism or deism to be opposite logical poles. While , in fact , they are dipoled psychological characterist

Terminology is not determined by the percentage NOR by the number of ordinary people who  do/do not  comply with them . .. .. 

I think a suitable God to be honoured with worship is a God whom one would like to exist, but for whom there is only scanty evidence. Since I live in the dull weather plagued UK this has led to me bec

9 minutes ago, Prof Reza Sanaye said:

I am afraid you are not quite right . . . . . .. 

In a very real sense, my only legitimacy exists in your eye's; an ism just seeks to blind us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 10:07 PM, Moontanman said:

I worship the Moon, at least it exists and al I have to do is Look at it... 

I think a suitable God to be honoured with worship is a God whom one would like to exist, but for whom there is only scanty evidence. Since I live in the dull weather plagued UK this has led to me becoming a Sun worshiper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prof Reza Sanaye said:

I am afraid you are not quite right . . . . . .. 

And I'm supposed to just take your word on that? Please elaborate. Happy to discuss and correct any blindspots or errors in my thinking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iNow said:

And I'm supposed to just take your word on that? Please elaborate. Happy to discuss and correct any blindspots or errors in my thinking. 

Deism is mostly  regarded to be belief in (an) impersonal God(s). Theism is the more personalistic version of deism. There is no reason to deem only one of them as the best antonym to atheism . ..  ..  .

3 hours ago, Area54 said:

I think a suitable God to be honoured with worship is a God whom one would like to exist, but for whom there is only scanty evidence. Since I live in the dull weather plagued UK this has led to me becoming a Sun worshiper.

What does not insult the dignity of most of Western Adults, is applied in  some of the most outrageous adventures--thus causing manifestation to a number of the most basic drives of human beings. Now you are an action-in-the-making as an exemplar of Human Dao for the Sun, Dear Friend . . .  .. . 

Edited by Prof Reza Sanaye
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prof Reza Sanaye said:

There is no reason to deem only one of them as the best antonym to atheism . ..  ..  .

I tend to agree, but your original assertion suggested the opposing side of atheism is deism. That's a rather odd claim to make when in the US, for example, deism accounts for only about 0.02% of the population whereas theism accounts for almost 80%... you know, about 4,000x as many as deists do. 

22 hours ago, Prof Reza Sanaye said:

many people regard atheism or deism to be opposite logical poles.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iNow said:

I tend to agree, but your original assertion suggested the opposing side of atheism is deism. That's a rather odd claim to make when in the US, for example, deism accounts for only about 0.02% of the population whereas theism accounts for almost 80%... you know, about 4,000x as many as deists do. 

 

Terminology is not determined by the percentage NOR by the number of ordinary people who  do/do not  comply with them . .. .. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. It's a bit like suggesting that doctors mostly only hand out bandaids, but won't belabor it any further. I can feel the returns on this exchange already diminishing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 4:33 PM, beecee said:

I would imagine that if the Pope has read some of my comments re religious people that come to science forums, to belittle and attack science, I would now be excommunicated.

I doubt it very much Beecee.

The current Pope was trained as a Chemist, and worked in a lab ( as well as a bouncer in a club ).
Previous Popes have been Mathematicians and Astronomers.

Galileo was an exception; the Vatican, and the Roman Catholic Church, have a long history of supporting the Sciences.

Church has long history of supporting science - Vatican - Chicago Catholic

 

As for Prof Reza Sanaye ...

What, exactly, are you a Professor of ?
Obfuscation and confusing use of the English language ?

And who is the wide-eyed crazy guy in your avatar ?

 

Edited by MigL
Link to post
Share on other sites

The dandelion in my front yard is an atheist. It doesn't believe the Earth is flat either. It's not exactly a remarkable claim to say something lacks a given belief, or for that matter, the capability of any belief.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MigL said:

I doubt it very much Beecee.

The current Pope was trained as a Chemist, and worked in a lab ( as well as a bouncer in a club ).
Previous Popes have been Mathematicians and Astronomers.

Galileo was an exception; the Vatican, and the Roman Catholic Church, have a long history of supporting the Sciences.

Church has long history of supporting science - Vatican - Chicago Catholic

Wheewh! Thank Christ for that!!😉 [as an aside, did you see the movie The Two Popes?] Anthony Hopkins, one of my favourite actors and certainly confirmed your info on the current pope..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biological Combination said:
Religions have been used as a tool to control and exploit people throughout history.

No, religion is just the culture within which the politicians ply their trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 9:05 PM, Prof Reza Sanaye said:

You cannot be an Atheist. Much as you cannot be a Deist. Unfortunately , many people regard atheism or deism to be opposite logical poles. While , in fact , they are dipoled psychological characteristics. Discrepancy of terminology has pushed many to nominate themselves even further ahead of their emotional characteristics  !

 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:14 PM, iNow said:

Perhaps you should try to better understand what others think. Atheism is opposite to theism, not deism. It’s right there in the name so hard to see how you missed it 

 

17 hours ago, Prof Reza Sanaye said:

Deism is mostly  regarded to be belief in (an) impersonal God(s). Theism is the more personalistic version of deism. There is no reason to deem only one of them as the best antonym to atheism . .

 

But there is a perfectly good reason.

Theism comes from the Greek theos (god) and refers to one or more gods who may or may not intervene in the universe.

The direct opposite is atheism, evidenced by the addition of the negatory prefix 'a'.

 

Deism on the other hand comes from the Latin deus (god) .

Quote

OED  :  Deism

The belief in only one 'God' who created but does not in the universe.

 

Quote

OED  :  Theism

The belief in the existence of a god or gods (opp atheism).
also Specifically the belief in one god who created and intervenes in the universe.

 

So theism is the general term, which includes deism and other forms of belief.

 

Note it is additionally confusing that the difference between Theist and Deist (ie the practitioners of these beliefs varies from the difference between theism and deism.

 

On 12/9/2020 at 7:20 PM, Sanitarium said:

I don't know what I am. Neither an atheist nor a theist. Is it necessary to be one? Can I not just be myself without being any atheist or theist?

Just like me then. +1

I'm a 'don't care'. It would make no material difference to my actions either way.

Sometimes folks demand an either-or, black or white,  binary answer to a question which is actually on a sliding scale of grey.

But even this sliding scale is not always enough, as in this case and we need to strike out off the scale as I don't think there is a shade of grey for don't care'.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:09 PM, kirishima666 said:

I'm pagan by the way, and you?

Interestingly one of my neighbours says she converted to paganism during the covid lockdown.
I am not sure what this means but she now has an illuminated christmas tree outside her front door all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 7:20 PM, Sanitarium said:

I don't know what I am. Neither an atheist nor a theist. Is it necessary to be one? Can I not just be myself without being any atheist or theist?

I don't know, can you avoid being biased?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

No, religion is just the culture within which the politicians ply their trade.

Damn! You hit that nail on the head! I forgot to mention the Moon does require me to dance naked once a month during the full moon on a deserted beach at the edge of the surf... oh yeah and drink a good tequila!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

Damn! You hit that nail on the head! I forgot to mention the Moon does require me to dance naked once a month during the full moon on a deserted beach at the edge of the surf... oh yeah and drink a good tequila!   

Can I play?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Can I play?

 

All are welcome to join in the worship of the moon, extra points if you bring pretty young girls with you. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

 

All are welcome to join in the worship of the moon, extra points if you bring pretty young girls with you. 

 

All I can promise is a single malt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MigL said:

as well as a bouncer in a club

Trying very hard to picture Pope Francisco as a bouncer in a club --unsuccessful so far. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

All I can promise is a single malt.

"twelve year's old and in a barrel" - Frankie Boyle

Edited by dimreepr
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

All I can promise is a single malt.

Works for me!

36 minutes ago, studiot said:

Count me in bro.

Damn a bunch of naked old men on the beach, it will require alcohol in some form, Sam Adams Cherry wheat mixed with Tarantula Tequila is my poison...   

img?static={static}

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.