Are you atheist?

kirishima666

Just now, Dis n Dat said:

That's not evidence. I take it that you don't have any study to show or any empirical evidence to your claim which you just came up with because others have done so. 

No, it's just a relevant question, that you've failed to answer; I'm guessing your presence here is limited...

10 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

That's not evidence. That's conjecture.

Fine. It’s not based on direct evidence. It’s an extrapolation.

But that doesn’t mean it’s not true. I’ve supplied the reasoning, and the minimum number of deities is easily confirmed (the Egyptian, Norse, Aztec, Hindu, etc.) 

We also know that Christianity, and probably other popular monotheistic religions, deny that any other gods exist.

10 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

It's like saying "there are many theories on who killed kennedy. So the whole thing must have been invented". 

No, it’s really nothing like that.

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Just a guess, I hope I'm wrong.

What do you mean by "your presence here is limited"?

Just now, swansont said:

Fine. It’s not based on direct evidence. 

But that doesn’t mean it’s not true. I’ve supplied the reasoning, and the minimum number of deities is easily confirmed (the Egyptian, Norse, Aztec, Hindu, etc.) 

See, you cannot reason by saying "though I don't have evidence it does not mean it's not true" and go on to have faith in a matter you can't provide evidence for. 

Anyway, even if there are a million concepts of God, "that does not mean does not exist". Same reasoning as yours swansont. It's not good reasoning to provide as evidence for the existence of God. 

What is your epistemology? Are you a rationalist, empiricist, what is your stance?

13 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

Anyway, even if there are a million concepts of God, "that does not mean does not exist".

But it is evidence that the concept of God is man made, which strongly suggests that "does not exist" is evidential... 

1 hour ago, Dis n Dat said:

1. Most people are atheists.

2. 99% of the gods humans have invented throughout history.

Your first point here totally misrepresents my actual comment, and whether intentionally or not left off key criteria. It appears that you've truncated it in an attempt to make it look more easily wrong (aka: you're arguing a strawman). The second point is self-evident.

Where precisely are you confused? Do you need me to draw a picture? Maybe I should bust out some crayons and use only single syllable words so these ideas no longer lay so far beyond your capabilities of comprehension and are better aligned with your maximum cognitive abilities?

There have been thousands upon thousands upon thousands of gods invented and discarded by humanity throughout the millennia, and quite likely even before the concept of "human" had any meaning at all.

The VAST majority of those gods (like Odin, Zeus, Apollo, Dionysus, Poseidon, Anubis, Osiris, Ra, Loki, Freya, Jupiter, Pluto, Quetzalcoatl, Xmucane, Xpiacocre, and I could literally keep typing names like this for hours and hours still without exhausting the list)... The vast majority of those are today laying dead in the graveyard of human mythology, discarded as the silly fictions and nonsense they are.

So, as I said: The vast majority of modern humans reject and do not believe in them. AKA: They are atheistic about the vast majority of gods, even if they happen to maintain belief in one of them who happens to represent their personally preferred flavor or version.

In context of those invented gods, these people are atheistic about all but the one god they personally prefer... atheistic about 99% plus of the gods EVER invented by humanity. Most humans today are, in fact, for the most part atheistic... they do not believe in them, even if they still believe in ONE out of that massive list of possibilities. End program.

This is true whether or not they do still believe instead in Yahweh or Allah or Brahma or Jesus or whatever the hell is the most popular comforting fiction among masses within whatever region or corner of the earth where that person just so happened to be born and indoctrinated through childhood. 

So again... what about this is beyond your comprehension? Do you need me to use Comic Sans font in the color purple perhaps so it sinks in? It's not a challenging concept to grasp, IMO, but YMMV

Edited by iNow

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I don't care... 😉

Nice. 

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

Your first point here totally misrepresents my actual comment

True. 

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

Where precisely are you confused? Do you need me to draw a picture?

I think you could be a little more humble like Swanston who already answered me and I agree I had misunderstood the first comment. If I later pretend and use logical fallacies over and over again, then you can get worked up like this if you wish. Humble request. 

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

The VAST majority of those gods (like Odin, Zeus, Apollo, Dionysus, Poseidon, Anubis, Osiris, Ra, Loki, Freya, Jupiter, Pluto, Quetzalcoatl, Xmucane, Xpiacocre, and I could literally keep typing names like this for hours and hours still without exhausting the list)... The vast majority of those are today laying dead in the graveyard of human mythology, discarded as the silly fictions and nonsense they are.

So, as I said: The vast majority of modern humans reject and do not believe in them. AKA: They are atheistic about the vast majority of gods, even if they happen to believe in one that's their personally preferred flavor or version. 

In context of those invented gods, the 99% plus EVER invented by humanity, most humans today are, in fact, atheistic... they do not believe in them. End program.

This is true whether or not they do still believe instead in Yahweh or Allah or Brahma or Jesus or whatever the hell is the most popular comforting fiction among masses in any given region or corner of the earth where that person just so happened to be born and indoctrinated. 

So again... what about this is beyond your comprehension?

So what's your point? One person is atheistic about 99% of Gods? Is that even the meaning or definition of the word atheist? Does atheist mean "rejecting some God or most God's"? 

7 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

Humble request. 

It's actually quite presumptuous and condescending, but I won't hold it against you. 

7 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

So what's your point?

Is this confirmation that you need me to use crayons?

8 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

I agree I had misunderstood the first comment

And apparently the second one, too. At least you're consistent. 

2 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

Ciao. 

So, you misrepresent others, can't defend your position or counter theirs, and basically comment on the optics of my post saying I need to be more humble, then run away like a child taking their ball and going home.

Wish I could say I was surprised. 

46 minutes ago, Dis n Dat said:

See, you cannot reason by saying "though I don't have evidence it does not mean it's not true" and go on to have faith in a matter you can't provide evidence for. 

Lacking evidence the logical choice is to withhold belief until such evidence is produced. 

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Because god always seems to forbid the very things the person who worships it thinks should be forbidden. 

Is that evidence that human beings invented God? Is not that just a tangent on a chicken or egg argument?

Is that evidence that human beings invented God?

Is this a confirmation you believe Odin, Zeus, Apollo, Dionysus, Poseidon, Anubis, Osiris, Ra, Loki, Freya, Jupiter, Pluto, Quetzalcoatl, Xmucane, Xpiacocre, and all the countless others are real and were NOT invented?

1 minute ago, iNow said:

Is this a confirmation you believe Odin, Zeus, Apollo, Dionysus, Poseidon, Anubis, Osiris, Ra, Loki, Freya, Jupiter, Pluto, Quetzalcoatl, Xmucane, Xpiacocre, and all the countless others are real and were NOT invented?

Nope. Some concepts were definitely invented. But that's not evidence that all were invented. That's a composition fallacy. 

Nope. Some concepts were definitely invented.

Where's your evidence of this?

Just requesting that you adhere to the same rigid and unreasonable standards to which you're holding others (i.e. not being a hypocrite engaged in special pleading)

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

Where's your evidence of this?

Sure. There is a God called Ayyanayaka, and it is very known that the villagers intentionally invented this God who lives in a special looking tree. 

7 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

How can you tell which ones were invented and which ones are real? 

That's a great question. But that's not the answer to the question I asked. This is a burden of proof fallacy. But maybe for another thread. 

The idea that because some concepts were made up does not mean all of them are false. It 's the definition of a composition fallacy. Illogical.