Are you atheist?

kirishima666

Most people are atheist about over 99% of the gods humans have invented throughout history. Some just choose to randomly still believe in one over all of the countless others, usually based on little more than where they happened to be born and what their parents happened to believe and teach them.

I do the usual cloning sacrifices to Damballa and more rarely Papa Legba, when the former does not respond. Also the mass spec demands blood on a semi-regular basis to the heavenly engineer of "Who-the F-puts sharp-edges-in-here?" as part of the blood ritual called pump maintenance.

32 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I do the usual cloning sacrifices to Damballa and more rarely Papa Legba, when the former does not respond. Also the mass spec demands blood on a semi-regular basis to the heavenly engineer of "Who-the F-puts sharp-edges-in-here?" as part of the blood ritual called pump maintenance.

At least you can observe your fanged snake god among the tubes in the device. There's evidence your sacrifices are being acknowledged, right?

My Humanism is being tested currently. When people reject their intelligence in favor of more primitive animal behavior, then what makes us different?

It doesn't matter if you are an atheist or a believer. What really matters if you are a good *) person..

I know many good atheists, and many evil to the core, believers (claiming, pretending or fooling themselves, to be good)..

*) The problem is that for different people "being good" means something else..

For instance, moral behaving like having regular sex without marriage, for religious extremists and fanatics, means being evil. At the same time they cut heads of disbelievers, murder people, force people to abandon their religion, impose their views on others, terrorize people, are attempting to stupidify people (e.g. "boko haram" means "(Western) education is forbidden"). etc. etc.

For me, obviously, having sex without marriage is not existing problem (i.e. it is not a sin, or an evil act). Without sex, nobody would exist in this world, so it cannot be evil.

For me, forcing somebody to abandon religion through terror, is evil act. Conversion must be voluntary. Otherwise it is worthless fake faith.

Edited by Sensei

4 hours ago, Sensei said:

For me, forcing somebody to abandon religion through terror, is evil act. Conversion must be voluntary. Otherwise it is worthless fake faith.

The same should be true of requiring people to join a religion.

Sadly some religions don't realise that.

And, by way of pretending to have read thee topic, I'm an atheist.

I'm waiting for the REAL religion to come around. So my faith is postponed.

3 minutes ago, MigL said:

That's very conceited.
You are the 'Moon'.

But he's building a temple, made of styrofoam. I'm looking forward to worship.

11 hours ago, Moontanman said:

I worship the Moon, at least it exists and al I have to do is Look at it... 

10 hours ago, MigL said:

That's very conceited.
You are the 'Moon'.

He both is and isn't the moon, depending on who he's talking to.

High self-monitoring, you see.

and an ever simmering kettle to boot.

... My bad.  I'm music babbling.

Re: Moontanman in What are You Listening to?

To be fair, a pragmatic understanding of knowledge that explains ideas as useful and functional---but ultimately subjective--tools in the interaction between the subject and his surroundings is not something that is easy to reconcile with the notion of consciousness without evolution via natural selection.  Natural selection among random variants, whether biological or cosmological, seems to be the only process by which functionality would emerge from randomness.  If you assume that randomness comes first and that cognition must involve functionally useful concepts, it is difficult to imagine cognition that is not the result of natural selection.  I will grant that my lack of imagination is inevitably a limiting factor, but I have to admit that "autistic" gods like Spinoza's or Temple Grandin's are probably a lot more imaginative and substantive than the pop-theology that helps people get more donations.

Call me Egnostic.

Andrew Jackson Jihad shout out!

I had a Defiance Ohio song removed form page 9.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 9:31 AM, Moontanman said:

Damn, I was looking for the question what does the moon do for me... anyone? Bueler? 

One thing is for sure.  It doesn't do it for you because you kept imagining that it would.  Imagining your god exists is as pointless as conversion therapy for gays.  I could say I'm open to something flexible like kharma, but even if I am honest I might as well be saying that I'm open to unicorns.

I was reading Thich Nhat Hanh in middle school.  He will let you be atheist; maybe Ghandi would too.  But American Christian lobbyists are engaged in a vicious, passive-aggressive, sectarian, and exploitative campaign that will keep "Believe" signs hanging in your local supermarket.  For what? For a shallow superficial acknowledgement that only appeals to the easily duped minority of their majority.  Tomorrow is now and it becomes racism and white nationalism as shallow as the color of your skin.  Tomorrow it will be some other sectarian identity being exploited for public relations purposes.  This is culture, this is a cult, this is humanity in a still uneducated twenty first century with staggering student debt.  I guess I'm an atheist.

Only a poor, uneducated person living in an elitist twenty first century has said in his heart there is no God.

Keep donating to your charities like a bandaid on an open wound.

19 hours ago, MonDie said:

One thing is for sure.  It doesn't do it for you because you kept imagining that it would.  Imagining your god exists is as pointless as conversion therapy for gays.  I could say I'm open to something flexible like kharma, but even if I am honest I might as well be saying that I'm open to unicorns.

I was reading Thich Nhat Hanh in middle school.  He will let you be atheist; maybe Ghandi would too.  But American Christian lobbyists are engaged in a vicious, passive-aggressive, sectarian, and exploitative campaign that will keep "Believe" signs hanging in your local supermarket.  For what? For a shallow superficial acknowledgement that only appeals to the easily duped minority of their majority.  Tomorrow is now and it becomes racism and white nationalism as shallow as the color of your skin.  Tomorrow it will be some other sectarian identity being exploited for public relations purposes.  This is culture, this is a cult, this is humanity in a still uneducated twenty first century with staggering student debt.  I guess I'm an atheist.

Only a poor, uneducated person living in an elitist twenty first century has said in his heart there is no God.

Keep donating to your charities like a bandaid on an open wound.

It gives me a moon tan... damn I must not be as funny as I thought... 

12 minutes ago, Sanitarium said:

Is it necessary to be one? Can I not just be myself without being any atheist or theist?

The question was not meant to be an attack and you don't have to answer. It was just a topic for conversation. You are free to stay away from this thread.

• 2 months later...

You cannot be an Atheist. Much as you cannot be a Deist. Unfortunately , many people regard atheism or deism to be opposite logical poles. While , in fact , they are dipoled psychological characteristics. Discrepancy of terminology has pushed many to nominate themselves even further ahead of their emotional characteristics  !

On 11/5/2020 at 4:43 AM, Curious layman said:

Atheist. 

I understand very little about science, even less about religion. It all comes down to trust.

I was raised a Catholic and went to a Catholic school. I would imagine that if the Pope has read some of my comments re religious people that come to science forums, to belittle and attack science, I would now be excommunicated. Oh the pain of it all!!😉 

On 11/5/2020 at 5:13 AM, Sensei said:

It doesn't matter if you are an atheist or a believer. What really matters if you are a good *) person..

I know many good atheists, and many evil to the core, believers (claiming, pretending or fooling themselves, to be good)..

Bingo!! Great answer...there are many good people that one may label believer or atheist, and many bad, evil people on both sides. I mentioned it some time ago, but I don't accept labels and see myself as someone in total support of science and the search for explanations, and the scientific method and what it entails. When we abandon those principles, then we will be heading back to the stone age!

Edited by beecee