How Trump Could Steal The Election

Alex_Krycek

11 minutes ago, CharonY said:

The main criticism they have is basically his Twitter. I.e. you can be mysoginistic, xenophobic, incompetent etc. as long as you are at least somewhat polite about it.

Yes, people seem to compartmentalize quite well. I remember reading about a serial killer who didn't rape his victims only because he felt that would be cheating on his wife.

Not officially, but it's over.

Biden has taken the lead in Georgia. He has taken the lead in Nevada. He has taken the lead in Arizona. And, most importantly, he has taken the lead in Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania, more mail-in votes remain to be counted, but those have been skewing toward Biden by a 60-80% margin and those being counted next are coming in from mostly blue-leaning Philadelphia. 

Not the blowout we needed to rebuke Trumps brand of hatred, ignorance, and lies... nor did Democrats take the Senate so they could actually pass the legislation they want... everything will still be blocked by McConnell and the Republicans (*pending runoff election in January in Georgia)... but for Biden and all of us around the world this was a crucial win nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Not officially, but it's over.

Biden has taken the lead in Georgia. He has taken the lead in Nevada. He has taken the lead in Arizona. And, most importantly, he has taken the lead in Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania, more mail-in votes remain to be counted, but those have been skewing toward Biden by a 60-80% margin and those being counted next are coming in from mostly blue-leaning Philadelphia. 

Not the blowout we needed to rebuke Trumps brand of hatred, ignorance, and lies... nor did Democrats take the Senate so they could actually pass the legislation they want... everything will still be blocked by McConnell and the Republicans (*pending runoff election in January in Georgia)... but for Biden and all of us around the world this was a crucial win nonetheless. 

It's good to read about Republican senators, and others, expressing dissent against Trump's fabrications about fraud. Hopefully, they'll eat him alive and spit him out at the appropriate time.

1 minute ago, CharonY said:

Seems like it. Strangely it feels that this election may have disappointed basically all US-Americans.

Time for both sides to learn to compromise.

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

It's good to read about Republican senators, and others, expressing dissent against Trump's fabrications about fraud. Hopefully, they'll eat him alive and spit him out at the appropriate time.

I do not think that will happen. While Trump subverted the GOP to some degree, he did it by leveraging voters. Those are still firmly on brand as we saw in the election. And I think it will further shape the GOP in the years to come. It is like teaparty but on steroids. 

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Time for both sides to learn to compromise.

Can't see that happening, either. For the GOP no-compromise has been a working strategy, why start now. For the Dems compromise was one of the reason why Obama was considered ineffectual to a large degree. So there is a strong sense that falling for that again won't work. If anything, folks are more polarized than before. 

The election was seen as a referendum on Trump and while again, Dems got more votes, it is not the referendum either side hoped for.

15 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I do not think that will happen. While Trump subverted the GOP to some degree, he did it by leveraging voters. Those are still firmly on brand as we saw in the election. And I think it will further shape the GOP in the years to come. It is like teaparty but on steroids. 

Can't see that happening, either. For the GOP no-compromise has been a working strategy, why start now. For the Dems compromise was one of the reason why Obama was considered ineffectual to a large degree. So there is a strong sense that falling for that again won't work. If anything, folks are more polarized than before. 

The election was seen as a referendum on Trump and while again, Dems got more votes, it is not the referendum either side hoped for.

ON GOP dissent, these are the sort of comments I was reading in this AP article:

https://apnews.com/article/pat-toomey-no-evidence-vote-fraud-0ac291da7ab09f6336d24290ef81f53b

Edited by StringJunky

7 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

ON GOP dissent, these are the sort of comments I was reading in this AP article:

https://apnews.com/article/pat-toomey-no-evidence-vote-fraud-0ac291da7ab09f6336d24290ef81f53b

I think these are more symptoms of knowing when they have lost and going hard in that direction at this point would not benefit them (different matter if Trump was likely to be still in power, I suspect). But that does not make me hopeful that they will shift the party. The overton window has shifted to saying the quiet things loud (e.g. when it came to refugees and immigrants). And it has been a quite successful strategy (it will be interesting to see whether the same themes were the drivers as 2016).

Also I find it funny how dominating US-politics is. It is really built for soap opera. look at us, we talk more about American politics than any other country. I suspect part of it is that in other countries things are not that open. Aside from the recent wave of populists, most politicians are not that openly moronic (if they can help it) and many are forgettable, dropping in and out due to some byzantine party politics. US is just so in your face that I find it hard to ignore.

Just now, Phi for All said:

Fuck THAT. Easy to say when you have publicly-funded healthcare during a pandemic. Compromise hasn't worked in the US since neo-conservatism took root.

I rest my case. In an Interview McConnell basically said that they will only consider things that are in their interest and have declared anything else a leftist agenda which will be fought.

35 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Actually I was just looking for them (because I am reading a thesis and got headaches and need a laugh) and apparently a number of key Reps, including McConnell declined to comment on Trump's illegal claim to power. Others, (Cruz, Graham, McCarthy) actually added fuel to the fire (by at least suggesting that there might have been fraud). So yeah, there is not even that.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

It's good to read about Republican senators, and others, expressing dissent against Trump's fabrications about fraud.

Yes. They should be applauded for their bravery. Most simply remained (and remain still today) silent while those who actually did speak out waited until it was clear Trump had lost before choosing to do so. We should erect statues for their patriotism.  /sarcasm

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

And I think it will further shape the GOP in the years to come

Trump put forth a working template, and in local elections (at least where k live) it’s already being replicated and working. My state Senator, for example, is a conspiracy stoking nut job and his constituents talk openly about needing to hurt democrats or shoot them outright 

D Trump's options for stealing the election are dwindling as quickly as they count votes in Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Georgia.
Even Republicans are abandoning him; most all of them saved their Congress and Senate positions.
That's what happens when ass-kissers support you,. They abandon you as soon as they no longer need you.

His only option now is to start a war ( preferably nuclear ).
They can't force him to leave if the country is at war.

( I joke, but I wouldn't put it past him )

I'm not sure if the US President has studied the Classics or not, but this quote springs to mind...

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.

Gaius Julius Caesar

8 hours ago, MigL said:

His only option now is to start a war

I think he already has, yet to be declared (formerly).

8 hours ago, MigL said:

D Trump's options for stealing the election are dwindling

This time perhaps, but he won't be quiet about it; for at least 4 year's.

Meanwhile, the GOP will try to ensure Biden is completely ineffective and punch drunk, for round 2.

Infact I think the best outcome may have been that Trump scrapes the win:

No round 2.

4 more years of his idiocy in charge and accountable, to convince the fringe and the young just how dangerous his brand is.

4 more years of the GOP painting themselves into a corner.

The crazy extreme are kept in check for 4 more years.

Edited by dimreepr

I don't think so, Dim.

D Trump will be very busy during the next 4 years.
Fighting indictments, lawsuits, bankruptcies and trying to cover loans from foreign sources.

Maybe he'll go back to doing reality TV.
( in Russia, China, or any country without extradition to the US )

Edited by MigL

2 minutes ago, MigL said:

I don't think so, Dim.

D Trump will be very busy during the next 4 years.
Fighting indictments, lawsuits, bankruptcies and trying to cover loans from foreign sources.

Maybe he'll go back to doing reality TV.

Imagine that...

The only way to save his ass, is to quit the Presidency before January, have the Vice-President, M Pence, take over until January, and grant him a pardon.

Incidentally, and I don't know whether it's true or not, but I heard that when he first became President, his wife did not move into the White House with him until they re-negotiated their pre-nup agreement.
I give her till February to file for divorce.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

The only way to save his ass, is to quit the Presidency before January, have the Vice-President, M Pence, take over until January, and grant him a pardon.

That sounds like a viable option for him but still it won't save him from Deutche Bank and other foreign liabilities.

3 minutes ago, koti said:

That sounds like a viable option for him but still it won't save him from Deutche Bank and other foreign liabilities.

There's a meme on line featuring a map of countries with no extradition treaty with the USA.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

It would be so funny if Pence didn't.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

Incidentally, and I don't know whether it's true or not, but I heard that when he first became President, his wife did not move into the White House with him until they re-negotiated their pre-nup agreement.

That is what was reported, yes