Noisy metallic glass?

Endy0816

7 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

I listened to a strip of metal. It wasn't noisy.

Would you like to rephrase your question with less emphasis on the assumption that we can read minds?

Hard to describe exactly but if you hold it in your hand and give it a quick shake, noise results. Was wondering if it might have some use as a noise maker.

Made a quick video.

11 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Could you anneal some and find out if that makes a difference?

I assume if you tried to anneal it, that the metal would devitrify.  

On 10/29/2020 at 4:05 PM, Endy0816 said:

Bought a strip off eBay. Trying to figure out if it being noisier than similar strips of metal is just my imagination or not. Any help or thoughts on the subject is appreciated.

Is the metal still ductile or is it brittle, since there are no crystal grains?

23 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Well... was it very expensive?

Could you anneal some and find out if that makes a difference?

The piece I have was twenty dollars, but could probably find it cheaper buying in bulk and use less of it.

Not sure what I can achieve in the way of temperatures, but I'll give that a try for a piece.

11 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

Is the metal still ductile or is it brittle, since there are no crystal grains?

I'd say brittle. Really noticeable where it has been cut or is tearing. Half wondering if it can be shattered.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:05 AM, Endy0816 said:

Bought a strip off eBay. Trying to figure out if it being noisier than similar strips of metal is just my imagination or not. Any help or thoughts on the subject is appreciated.

Heat treating one and not the other to compare makes a kind of sense, however the characteristics of many "ordinary" metals vary greatly according to variations of heating and cooling. You may do better tracking down the specific characteristics of that specific metallic glass than attempting to get answers through experimentation.

• 1 month later...