how to make a motherboard

chrisstopher

Several thoughts.

1 hour ago, chrisstopher said:

what is a motherboard made of and how would i make 1 i have a budget of 1000 dollars in this hypothetical scenario and would only like to print 1 if you could help me it would be of great thanks 

1) A motherboard provides mechanical support and fixity as well as electrical connections for componenets, sockets, shields and smaller sub boards (daughter boards).

2) You need to do a search for makers or manufacturers of prototype (circuit) boards, in your area. Such companies make one off boards to order and you can discuss details with them.
Some companies will also populate the board for you. Others just produce the bare board.

3) Circuit boards come in several different types, from the simple one sides with components on one side and tracks on the other, to to tracks on both sides and componenets on one or both sides to 'bonded sandwich' construction of several layers of board each with its own individual tracks.

4) Simpler boards use component leads soldered both sides, to provide electric continuity between one side and the other of a board. More complicated boards use what is called 'through plating' to provide this. Many componsnts no longer have leads and are so called SM or surface mount. Different fixing and slodering techniques apply here.

5) The method of soldering also comes into play especially in choosing the material to resist the heat of industrial solder bath methods.

Does this help ?

Edited by studiot

1 hour ago, chrisstopher said:

what is a motherboard made of and how would i make 1 i have a budget of 1000 dollars in this hypothetical scenario and would only like to print 1 if you could help me it would be of great thanks 

Start from something simpler. Make Arduino compatible board..

"You must learn to crawl before you can walk"

Edited by Sensei

You need to specify the scope of this 'full' computer system, for anyone to be able to tell you what components you need.

A full computer can be as simple as a SoC ( system on a chip ), with ROM, DRAM, and I/O interface chips. This is similar to Raspberry Pi, Arduino and most phones and tablets.
Most home computers are not as integrated, and usually have busses ( such as PCI-E, for expansion, sound controller/generator, SATA controller, keyboard/USB controller, etc. Video can be integrated in the CPU or not ( in which case you'd need a video card ) but the memory controller is usually integrated these days. And of course, you still need ROM, DRAM and I/O interface chips ( for voltage levels ).
Then again you could build a computer the old fashioned way, with discrete logic chips. I am only familiar with the 74LS series ( low power Shottky ) which were popular during the late 70s and 80s, but you could even build your own CPU with discrete logic. And in a related fashion, the new supercomputers are made using massively paralleled video cards ( which are themselves large numbers of paralleled simple CPUs ), all hung on the same Buss.

I assume the simplest option, using an SoC, you mentioned that you've already explored.
You need to specify the complexity ( and the use ) of this 'full' computer

2 hours ago, chrisstopher said:

i can already do that ive made tons of things useing rasberry pi and audrino and its a extra credit project

can you describe it in more detail and the parts that i would need other than microchips and cpu  becuase the endgoal is to make a full computer 

Show photos of your "projects"...

Attach in your reply to this forum..

12 minutes ago, MigL said:

Then again you could build a computer the old fashioned way, with discrete logic chips.

Old-school programming device was without DMA, which means CPU takes care of everything, and executes function after xxx milliseconds, and writes sample of data... :)

Which evolved to "execute interrupt after xxx milliseconds", and write stuff, and return from interrupt.

Which evolved to blocks of data, after sending/receiving them aka "DMA". i.e. set start address of block, size of block, parameters, and go... then interrupt happens if it is sent/received.. and CPU regains control after a while (taking care of the other things in meanwhile).

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

Old-school programming device was without DMA

That would include everything before the IBM PC ( and even some later computers ). The original Mac did not use DMA, and even computers like the Commodore 64/Amiga used DMA only for graphics manipulation ( Sprite engines ) as the Motorola 68000 CPU was rather expensive in combination with its DMA controller, while the Intel 8088CPU/8237DMA combination in the IBM PC was relatively cheap.
My first two computers, a Sinclair ZX-81, and a Xerox 820 bare board ( to which I soldered components ), both used Zilog Z-80 processors and interrupt driven I/O.

58 minutes ago, MigL said:

That would include everything before the IBM PC ( and even some later computers ). The original Mac did not use DMA, and even computers like the Commodore 64/Amiga used DMA only for graphics manipulation ( Sprite engines ) as the Motorola 68000 CPU was rather expensive in combination with its DMA controller, while the Intel 8088CPU/8237DMA combination in the IBM PC was relatively cheap.
My first two computers, a Sinclair ZX-81, and a Xerox 820 bare board ( to which I soldered components ), both used Zilog Z-80 processors and interrupt driven I/O.

Hey Clint, if you are feeling soppy tonight, perhaps you should start a nostalgia thread.

:)

1 hour ago, MigL said:

That would include everything before the IBM PC ( and even some later computers ). The original Mac did not use DMA, and even computers like the Commodore 64/Amiga used DMA only for graphics manipulation ( Sprite engines )

Amiga has/had bliter to accelerate gfx operations. Bliter has special filling mode for vector graphics. Used in e.g. Another World game to make the main character.

SFX also surely was done by DMA not by CPU..

Edited by Sensei