Stormloop

Extraterrestial life searching

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, the right category, the righr dorum etc. Also im only 15yo so dont explain in too professionam terms please. But ive always wondered this... When people bring up searching for extraterrestial life its always about if water is present on the planet, why is this? I know we live from water and so do fish, where we originally originate from and the bacteria they originated from lived in water but i dont see this as proof. Cant evolution on a planet without water just work with chlorine for example, or an element not even present on earth and thus not known to humanity. Same applies to distance to the sun to have a temperature sweetspot, wouldnt another planet have life evolved to their temperature? I mean we have had animals for ice ages and, well, not ice ages... unless you really are able to prove me wrong here i feel lile we need another planet with this theory proven for it to be sure. Im not trying to start the next flat earth like community but im just trying to understand.

37 minutes ago, Stormloop said:

When people bring up searching for extraterrestial life its always about if water is present on the planet, why is this? I know we live from water and so do fish, where we originally originate from and the bacteria they originated from lived in water but i dont see this as proof. Cant evolution on a planet without water just work with chlorine for example,

It's an excellent question!

I'm not sure about chlorine, but I have heard arguments for an ammonia-based lifeform. It's not assumed in science that water is required for life, just that we know how well water supports it. It's also our best chance to find life similar to ours.

You should study water. It's an interesting molecule, with some unique properties. I think it's the only substance where its solid state floats in its liquid state. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 5:45 PM, Phi for All said:

I think it's the only substance where its solid state floats in its liquid state. 

I'm not sure about the floating part, but there are other substances that expand when frozen solid.
Silicon and Gallium ( used in semiconductors ) come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.
Has to do with the way molecules aggregate into the solid crystal structure taking up more space than freely moving molecules.

It is fortunate that ice floats for Earth based life, meaning seas and oceans don't freeze from the bottom up, and aquatic life is possible.
But this wouldn't be necessary on a planet where the temperature doesn't drop below 00 , or where the prevailing liquid has a wide temperature range liquid state.
We are limiting our criteria of life, to life 'as we know it'.
But there are certainly arguments for life based on other chemistries.
Carbon based life is suited to temperatures where water is liquid, but at much higher temperatures sulfur based or even silicon based life might be possible ( sulfur and silicon don't form as many compounds as carbon, but they are prolific in their bonding ).

We have no examples of other kinds of biology. Water, as well as the elements and precursor compounds terrestrial life rely upon, appears to be widespread through the known universe and on planets. Even as hypotheticals/theoreticals, other kinds of chemistry look problematic. We may be able to model possibilities and find something that could work to produce life, but so far as I know none look promising. We may find that even with water based/carbon based life there may only be limited ways self replicating complex biochemistry can arise, ie that alternatives to our RNA/DNA/protein based life as we know it may be very unlikely or even impossible.