discussion and examination of the rational foundations of religion.

Mike12

17 hours ago, Charles 3781 said:

Don't you think that that Religion does have a rational foundation?  Which is this - it's an attempt to explain why things happen.

Why things don't just happen at random.  Why, for example, the Moon doesn't just exhibit itself in the sky, in a random unpredictable way.  But follows definite rules, which involve a 27 day cycle between the first appearance of a slender crescent "New Moon".  Then its gradual "waxing", through the phases of "Half Moon" to a "Full Moon".  Then the "waning" phases of "Full" to "Half", and fading crescent.

These nightly exhibitions of regular phase-behaviour, must induce a sense of "rationality" in the Universe, don't you think?  Which is what Religion attempts to do  - to provide a reasonable explanation for why some things happen.

Don't you think that that Religion does have a rational foundation? 
No, plainly I don't.
Not sure what the rest of your post was meant to say. It just looks patronising- as if I wouldn't be aware of that sort of thing..

People did not know why the moon appeared + changed.
A rational view on that is to say "I do not know why this happens, and perhaps I never will"

An irrational view is to say "God must be doing it". The "God" is a made up thing with no actual basis in evidence.

Which option is Religion based on?

Religion is a text from history, it always makes sense and is completely rational, "at the time of writing" (disclaimer). 

Just because we don't understand the original, doesn't make it irrational 

3 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Which option is Religion based on?

I can't even understand my son, when he's in full grunge mode... 🤪

12 hours ago, Mike12 said:

@Area54 is going totally insane and projecting psychologically all his problems on another. I just statistically checked that 50% of new marriages end after these pre-arranged Muslim marriages prove not to be suitable matches. There is a built in 50% Muslim divorce rate at less than a year. There's three kinds of marriages and many types of divorce. You can read that Officially at every law office that Islam is practiced in any language throughout the world. Hindus are similar, or Buddhism, or Confucianism... You are here to Not Respect or Notice the Christian values from the 7 virtues and 7 sins in common through all this Nicene Christianity of lifelong marriage imposed from the high power of God through the priesthood pronounced in to you at ceremony, so God has brought together, let no man separate, till death do us part, by the word of Jesus Christ, God. That every divorcee is burning in hell is a short skip and step indeed. 

Atheism has its dogma, its repetitions, its talking points to converts, well and if they Became Officially a Religion they'd be less powerful in the institutions, organization, or anything.

!

Moderator Note

LESS BLATHER, PLEASE!

12 hours ago, Area54 said:

I am an elderly, well educated, financially comfortable, white male with delusions of adequacy.

Don't know about the rest of your life pursuits, but you are more than adequate in the sciences.

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

, it always makes sense and is completely rational,

Really?

How did they avoid the glitches in thinking that we are all susceptible to unless we take care- things like confirmation bias 
Because those things stop people being rational, even today when we know about them.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

Don't know about the rest of your life pursuits, but you are more than adequate in the sciences.

You are very kind, but keep in mind that self deprecation is the hallmark of both the humble and of the elitist egotist. :)

2 hours ago, Area54 said:

You are very kind, but keep in mind that self deprecation is the hallmark of both the humble and of the elitist egotist. :)

People think you're crazy for talking to yourself so much, but it's wise to always speak to the most intelligent person in the room.

19 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Really?

How did they avoid the glitches in thinking that we are all susceptible to unless we take care- things like confirmation bias 
Because those things stop people being rational, even today when we know about them.

“The moving finger writes; and, having writ, moves on: nor all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line, nor all thy tears wash out a word of it.
-- Omar Khayyam

My point stands, how do you know they're unaware of the concept, there's no reason to assume the original concept was irrational.

Formalization and Structure of Religion starts in the remains of the Roman Empire. I don't see how formalization and structure of religion continues without suggesting civilization and an ingroup outside the national borders. A simple test of an iron curtain walled off society is this test that even the United States seems to fail.  We require international media, connection, option, power.

I'm a bollox again? You scare me, dimreepr. I'm totally blind how I get kicked all the time...

Its not 1% a feeling, opinion, or a lie, whatsoever, as people remembered the aqueducts and civilization, the romans, interconnectedness from their rural areas, and found the Church, on the History Channel. Most of Europe is debates on a Singular Structure.

5 minutes ago, Mike12 said:

I'm a bollox again? You scare me, dimreepr. I'm totally blind how I get kicked all the time...

Its not 1% a feeling, opinion, or a lie, whatsoever, as people remembered the aqueducts and civilization, the romans, interconnectedness from their rural areas, and found the Church, on the History Channel. Most of Europe is debates on a Singular Structure.

Your right iNow, deffo a bot...

Edited by dimreepr

Deffo a bot? I can't help myself. You make terms you Never define them, you kick people, you make blatantly and obvious false statements... I don't think there is a robot or automatic messaging system Capable of anything I've been saying, ever.

53 minutes ago, Mike12 said:

Formalization and Structure of Religion starts in the remains of the Roman Empire

You might want to discuss that with the Jews or the Pagans or the followers of Shinto or... just about anyone.

32 minutes ago, Mike12 said:

You make terms you Never define them

Like...?

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

My point stands, how do you know they're unaware of the concept, there's no reason to assume the original concept was irrational.

If, as seems likely, their thoughts and ideas were subject to various irrational influences, it's rather likely that the outcome was irrational.

At best, this looks like an accidental debate about what "rational" means.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:03 PM, John Cuthber said:

If, as seems likely, their thoughts and ideas were subject to various irrational influences, it's rather likely that the outcome was irrational.

Well, I guess we'll never know.

I doubt you'd argue the American constitution was irrational, when written; yet it has been used irrationally (unless the definition of rational is, let's make money in spite of the number lives it cost's); and we have the original text written in the language we speak.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:03 PM, John Cuthber said:

At best, this looks like an accidental debate about what "rational" means.

It would be more interesting.

Edited by dimreepr

Who are we? Forward moving business? The UK has Defined their Patriotic Religions that you'd be Best to Mind as any True Britain, or what are you, not a Real Britain, and they have "Protestant Work Ethic", they have "Victorian Home Sweet Home" TV Series. So I'd show you that Dwight Eisenhower is against Greco - Roman heritage mislabeling things not where they're supposed to be. This is the sciences. This is soon to be base level editing of your Western Civilization Protestant Reformation map by Governments. 

26 minutes ago, Mike12 said:

Who are we? Forward moving business? The UK has Defined their Patriotic Religions that you'd be Best to Mind as any True Britain, or what are you, not a Real Britain, and they have "Protestant Work Ethic", they have "Victorian Home Sweet Home" TV Series. So I'd show you that Dwight Eisenhower is against Greco - Roman heritage mislabeling things not where they're supposed to be. This is the sciences. This is soon to be base level editing of your Western Civilization Protestant Reformation map by Governments. 

!

Moderator Note

Virtually impossible to discuss anything with someone who argues this way. These thoughts and phrases are obviously very important to the poster but mean little to us without context. 

Discussion is like serving a meal. You want to give your guests something they can sink their teeth into and enjoy focusing on the experience. This style is like trying to feed guests by making them catch popcorn from the stove in their mouths. Amusing to the host perhaps, but highly unsatisfying for everyone else.

Mike12 will have to learn this elsewhere.