Evolution of Arabic script

Hans de Vries

IF you look at Greek and Latin scripts, you should see that it looks similar to it's predecessor the Phoenician script.

How and why did Arabic script go into opposite direction evolution-wise? All other scripts derived from the Phoenician script also look kinda blocky.

Edited by Hans de Vries

I recall a recent PBS/NOVA program on this very subject, which traced the evolution of the alphabet.  This series traced the root path of the written language we all use today from a combination of stylized pictures to form words and phases (Rebus) to the actual letters many written languages use including Arabic script.  I found the program most informative.  I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Hans de Vries said:

IF you look at Greek and Latin scripts, you should see that it looks similar to it's predecessor the Phoenician script.

How and why did Arabic script go into opposite direction evolution-wise? All other scripts derived from the Phoenician script also look kinda blocky.

Do you think that the Arabic script could have been influenced by the Ancient Egyptian "Demotic" script, which was a kind of ultra-simplified version of the original Egyptian heiroglyphs. 

Have a look at examples of ancient "Demotic" and modern  "Arabic" writing.   They show a remarkable similarity.  The same flowing, curly, looping style of writing.  Quite unlike the more disconnected, angular letters of Phoenician, Greek and Latin.

I