Cramming

nae

Hey guys! I have an Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths Exam next week. I have studied for it but they recently told us what is going to be on it. So is there any techniques or study method I could use to cram(?) before my test. I would also like to know what was most effective to u. Thanks!

As you go through notes/textbooks write down key points, ideally in a heirarchical bullet point format.

Write in your own words, but retaining technical terms.

If you know what is on it envisage typical questions you might be asked, write them down and answer them.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:11 PM, Area54 said:

As you go through notes/textbooks write down key points, ideally in a heirarchical bullet point format.

Write in your own words, but retaining technical terms.

If you know what is on it envisage typical questions you might be asked, write them down and answer them.

+1. Then go over it again with a hi-liter on points you may want to highlight.

Then go over it again reciting out loud. Different neural pathways...

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Yes, engage more senses to the task.

Not only that. If you only think about answers, you may make mental shortcuts that you are not aware of. When you verbalize (or write the answers out fully) you will note if have problems expressing certain things (indicating you did not quite get that).

I have to differ...
These guys mean well, but they are telling you methods of memorising information.
That might work with Biology, and somewhat with Chemistry, but it will not work with Physics or Math, as they inherently involve 'problem' solving.
There are very few things to memorize, but you need to know 'how' to think.
I've had exams where you could take the exam home, use cheat sheets and calculators ( late 70s, early 80s, no PCs ), or even get your grandmother to help you; IOW, either you know it, or you don't.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, nae said:

Hey guys! I have an Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths Exam next week. I have studied for it but they recently told us what is going to be on it. So is there any techniques or study method I could use to cram(?) before my test. I would also like to know what was most effective to u. Thanks!

Sleep well beforehand. All the cramming in the world is not going to be as effective as being well rested and clear headed going into the exam. 

Good luck, and kudos to you for wanting to maximize your chances of doing well. 

34 minutes ago, MigL said:

That might work with Biology, and somewhat with Chemistry, but it will not work with Physics or Math, as they inherently involve 'problem' solving.

Same goes for Biology, but the issue is that  fewer folks are not that motivated to understand anymore (and of course there was always a bit of selection regarding what folks are motivated about, but I do think that the system as a whole is shifting). OP was specifically referring to cramming and of course everyone's advice would be not to. But also that advice will be ignored without a doubt.

10 hours ago, MigL said:

I have to differ...
These guys mean well, but they are telling you methods of memorising information.
There are very few things to memorize, but you need to know 'how' to think.
I've had exams where you could take the exam home, use cheat sheets and calculators ( late 70s, early 80s, no PCs ), or even get your grandmother to help you; IOW, either you know it, or you don't.

Yes, this is true. My grandad always emphasised understanding principles more than facts.as being more fruitful.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:44 AM, CharonY said:

but the issue is that  fewer folks are not that motivated to understand anymore

On 10/19/2020 at 1:59 PM, StringJunky said:

My grandad always emphasised understanding principles more than facts.as being more fruitful.

My advice to "Write in your own words, but retaining technical terms" was based upon gaining an understanding of the principles. That was the primary process I used to acquire and demonstrate (to myself) understanding. If I couldn't express the concept in my own words, then I didn't understand it. On reflection it occurs to me that this might not work for everyone and that it might be possible to write in ones own words without real understanding.

The lack of motivation noted by CharonY is puzzling to me. From my perspective if you understood the concepts - and had a handful of examples illustrating those concepts - then you didn't need to have the chore of learning endless "facts" that had nothing holding them together.

2 hours ago, Area54 said:

The lack of motivation noted by CharonY is puzzling to me. From my perspective if you understood the concepts - and had a handful of examples illustrating those concepts - then you didn't need to have the chore of learning endless "facts" that had nothing holding them together.

I think there is a systemic issue going on. It may be different in Ivy leagues, but I have worked mostly in smaller institutions and what I have observed  is that folks are way more focused on good grades and the degree rather than the topic. Over time, it seems, folks are have more and more a kind of optimization mindset, in which they want to figure out how to get the best grades in the most efficient amount of time. You often hear a lot of questions trying to figure out what may be in exams, rather than about the topic you have been just talking about. To many, this endless learning of facts, is the most effective way, as it takes a bit until things click. Many kids are too restless to get to that point.