Are academics biased due a hunger for respect and admiration?

Many academics are overworked and underappreciated. Most people cannot understand their work, and some academics may feel that their wealth and status in society is not commensurate with their usefulness and intelligence. They may yearn for the recognition and admiration which they feel they deserve but have not received.

When an opportunity comes along that allows such academics to finally be in the limelight, will they gracefully relinquish that attention when it is no longer necessary, or are they vulnerable to a sort of addiction to attention? In that case, can we fully trust academics to be non-biased?

2 minutes ago, Daniel Waxman said:

They may yearn for the recognition and admiration which they feel they deserve but have not received.

I suggest that "most academics" seek recognition and admiration from their peers rather than from "most people" who cannot understand their work. For the most part such academics will generally get an appropriate amount of recognition and admiration most of the time. Whether they think it is sufficient will be down to the individual character of each academic.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Waxman said:

When an opportunity comes along that allows such academics to finally be in the limelight, will they gracefully relinquish that attention when it is no longer necessary, or are they vulnerable to a sort of addiction to attention?

Some will be, but they get their own TV series, drop out of serious research and thus any bias becomes largely irrelevant. :)

2 hours ago, Daniel Waxman said:

Many academics are overworked and underappreciated. Most people cannot understand their work, and some academics may feel that their wealth and status in society is not commensurate with their usefulness and intelligence. They may yearn for the recognition and admiration which they feel they deserve but have not received.

When an opportunity comes along that allows such academics to finally be in the limelight, will they gracefully relinquish that attention when it is no longer necessary, or are they vulnerable to a sort of addiction to attention? In that case, can we fully trust academics to be non-biased?

That doesn’t describe most academics I know.What is your evidence that your premise is correct?

Don't scientific academics gain descending degrees of renown by following these courses:

1. Making a major scientific discovery

2. Writing a popular book on science

3. Making brief guest appearances on a science-related TV show

4. Moderating a science forum where they slag off the the posters

Edited by Charles 3781

3 hours ago, Daniel Waxman said:

Yeah, most academics I know would prefer it if folks would let them work in peace. Interestingly most attention-seekers I have seen do it outside their realm of expertise (i.e. if they stop being academics and, say enter the political arena). For the most part being in the limelight does little for the academics other than perhaps shine a light on issues related to their area of expertise (say in an ongoing pandemic). But that is more seen as a duty to the public rather than something one would actively seek. After all, creating a good message takes time, which distracts from your actual work.

16 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

Galileo, Newton, Darwin,  and I - we were all called trolls in our time!

My favorite Robert Park quote:

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right

In any event, you’re going to have a spectrum of behaviors in any group. I think most academics want respect of their peers, and don’t care a lot about what the public thinks. There are some who do.

4 minutes ago, swansont said:

In any event, you’re going to have a spectrum of behaviors in any group. I think most academics want respect of their peers, and don’t care a lot about what the public thinks. There are some who do.

And of course, folks with a strong desire for public admiration probably do not choose academia in the first place. It would like being a monk because you like to sing and dance.

6 minutes ago, CharonY said:

And of course, folks with a strong desire for public admiration probably do not choose academia in the first place. It would like being a monk because you like to sing and dance.

Along with the wealth mentioned in the OP. Academia’s really not your path.

Just now, swansont said:

Along with the wealth mentioned in the OP. 

Oh yes, absolutely. Forgot about that. As a matter of fact, I think that is the first thing you forget once you enter the system. Quickly followed by sleep.