can drugs cause hallucination in every natural person?

ahmet

I remember one of my doctor friend (he was hardworking ,so probably a good doctor)

was saying, "ahmet, do you know ,any psychiatrist can ensure you to see hallucination via giving you a drug."

I wonder  here whether hallucination can occur artificially by taking drugs,is this really possible??

(I mean only "normal/natural" persons and all of them (do not have any psychiatric or any else illness in the past) under assumption)

Edited by ahmet

24 minutes ago, ahmet said:

I wonder  here whether hallucination can occur artificially by taking drugs,is this really possible??

Yes, there are many drugs, as well as plants that can cause hallucinations.  I believe there is also a toad that you can lick to get hallucinations, if you are so inclined.

Edited by Bufofrog

3 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Yes, there are many drugs that can cause hallucinations.

really,interesting.

I give the potentiality to be not same for these situations: but again I am asking.

why while  we can obtain (artificial) hallucinations, we can't clear it up?

I was thinking that dopamine was not just one responsible thing of hallucination. But maybe I am failing.

Edited by ahmet
grammatical error

6 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

I believe there is also a toad that you can lick to get hallucinations, if you are so inclined.

well, I am not asking here medical advice or any type of clinical applications to try on aynone.

I just ask the questions I wonder. but I feel myself a bit surprised now. 

1 hour ago, ahmet said:

well, I am not asking here medical advice or any type of clinical applications to try on aynone.

I just ask the questions I wonder. but I feel myself a bit surprised now. 

Drugs are not necessary. Try remaining awake for 80 hours and I shall be surprised if you do not hallucinate. See this, for example.

Warning: remaining awake for 80 hours can be (seriously) damaging to your health.

8 minutes ago, Area54 said:

Drugs are not necessary. Try remaining awake for 80 hours and I shall be surprised if you do not hallucinate. See this, for example.

Warning: remaining awake for 80 hours can be (seriously) damaging to your health.

Concussions, too... or low blood glucose levels

11 minutes ago, iNow said:

Concussions, too... or low blood glucose levels

I find dreaming gives me great hallucinations (never had hallucinations "in the dream though ;wonder if that is recorded as happening)

edit:I suppose sleep is "drug induced"; just not "artificial" drugs

Edited by geordief

33 minutes ago, Area54 said:

This should be incorrect or cannot be generalised. I am sure that I had read a paper and there was specific experiment and observation.I of course do not remember the whole of paper, but one result was saying that the time for that (max. time to be able to remain "awake") was changing from one by another one.but surely I also remember that that author was stating that he had an experiment on himself/herself and could remain awake 7 days,which is definitely not equal to 80 hours.once again I would point out that I do not ask any medical advice or clinical methods to try on anyone. (Thus,I request you to concentrate on the question and be abstract as much as possible.)Thanks for your understandings. 

Edited by ahmet

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

Lack of sleep for long periods leads to hallucinations, whether or not the 80 hour threshold is crossed 

I think I have found similar article , or this article mentions same experiment 

reading:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-long-can-humans-stay/#:~:text=The easy experimental answer to,hours (about 11 days).

yes,the surname of that researcher was Gardner. I remember it.

but this article presumably states that Gardner was dyad. maybe I do not remember clearly :( 

34 minutes ago, ahmet said:

This should be incorrect or cannot be generalised.

You may think it should be incorrect, but the evidence clearly shows otherwise.

"It cannot be generalised". That is precisely what is noted in the link I provided.

36 minutes ago, ahmet said:

I also remember that that author was stating that he had an experiment on himself/herself and could remain awake 7 I days,which is definitely not equal to 80 hours.

I chose the 80 hours as an example. I'm sorry that was not clear. My point was a simple one. You apparently doubted the possibility that drugs might induce hallucinations. I noted that drugs were not necessary. Simply go without sleep for an extended period. Now, apparently, you have doubts about that also.

39 minutes ago, ahmet said:

I would point out that I do not ask any medical advice or clinical methods to try on anyone.

I would point out that I do not offer any medical advice or clinical methods, other than - "don't deliberately deprive yourself of sleep".

17 minutes ago, Area54 said:

You may think it should be incorrect, but the evidence clearly shows otherwise.

"It cannot be generalised". That is precisely what is noted in the link I provided.

that link,was embeded to the text so I have not realised that,sorry. reading the article, but probably you know that (this is a common case in mathematics and is rule) examplifying is not a proof of any proposition/theorem (unless it is an example that clearly refutes the proposition/theorem)

20 minutes ago, Area54 said:

I chose the 80 hours as an example. I'm sorry that was not clear. My point was a simple one. You apparently doubted the possibility that drugs might induce hallucinations. I noted that drugs were not necessary.

I meant not all of bodies have same immune system and not all of them reflecting everything.

there will of course be a limit but not 80 hours. 

22 minutes ago, Area54 said:

I would point out that I do not offer any medical advice or clinical methods, other than - "don't deliberately deprive yourself of sleep".

no. I do not do that. But not even that, I was just thinking examplfying or giving too much embodiment to the ideas/propositions or to the issue might affect someone (other people,reading here)

so,...

1 hour ago, ahmet said:

probably you know that (this is a common case in mathematics and is rule) examplifying is not a proof of any proposition/theorem (unless it is an example that clearly refutes the proposition/theorem)

We are not talking mathematics. We are talking science. I gave you link that refers to a variety of experiments that confirm my assertion that hallucinations are likely for most people if they go for long periods without sleep. I used an example in order to avoid searching for dozens of instances detailing the research that confirms my assertion. The normal way of countering an assertion such as mine would be to produce links that describe research that says hallucinations do not commonly follow long periods without sleep.

Now, are you, as you appear to be doing, denying that long periods without sleep commonly cause hallucinations. If you are denying this, on what basis are you denying it?

1 hour ago, ahmet said:

I meant not all of bodies have same immune system and not all of them reflecting everything.

there will of course be a limit but not 80 hours. 

Once again the 80 hours was chosen to illustrate the point. I thought it clearer than just saying a long time. I could just as easily have said 50 hours, or 100 hours, or 40 - 90 hours.

1 hour ago, ahmet said:

I was just thinking examplfying or giving too much embodiment to the ideas/propositions or to the issue might affect someone (other people,reading here)

Which is why I included my warning after mentioning going without sleep for 80 hours. I was making clear (or so I thought) that going without sleep for long periods was not a good idea.

47 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

It is easy to make something go wrong, but difficult to repair it.
Especially when the thing is so complex that you do not know how it works.

definitely right!

but at the same time, I was thinking this one: if we know the cause ,then we might solve problem,too. 

as far as I know, dopamine is responsible of course for some disease ,specifically for shizophrenia. Nonetheless, again according to my knowledge (as I tried to mention/imply in a nother thread) there are some shizophrenic patients but do not have hallucination. )

of course,I am not a medical doctor (I had learned some (basic) medicine but..) and presumably or with very high potentiality i am failing with my logic approach (if we know the cause/reason,then we could ..because I did think much directly so the idea might not provide solution)

,while at one side, good schizophrenic patients exist, (or I do not know exactly where this idea comes from, maybe I read it from somewhere) psychiatrists cannot say that they could clear all of patients' hallucination up.)

one job assigned to me and I need to go by now. Thank to all participants to ensure me learn a point even if it seems simple.

Good evening.

• 6 months later...

Technically all of our experience in life is generated in our brains via what could be considered a form of hallucination right? lol  

also the grammar of the title of the thread makes me wonder if there are people who for some reason are not able to hallucinate as easily, although I don't think that's what was intended to be asked,

3 minutes ago, CashlinRap said:

l of our experience in life is generated in our brains via what could be considered a form of hallucination right? lol  

No lol needed. You’re precisely correct