hijack from What made you stop believing in God?

MSC

To be clear, I’m ignoring you because of responses like the below. If you want to be respected you need to also respect others and quit being so presumptuous :

3 hours ago, MSC said:

you just aren't aware of how agnosticism is also a statement of a belief.

3 hours ago, MSC said:

Try again.

2 hours ago, MSC said:

You just assumed <...> I suggest you read more <...> treat it with respect <...> I suggest you do that.

2 hours ago, MSC said:

I'm sorry if you've interpreted aggression in my tone <...> I don't think you've read <...> If you don't like being told to read something in it's entirety, then don't share it

1 hour ago, MSC said:

my tone isn't the problem. How people interpret it is

37 minutes ago, MSC said:

I'm not likely to be that bothered if people refuse to interact because I didn't "adjust" to their individual standards. It's not like you speak for everybody, so I really don't care. <...> You're just doing it to make yourself comfortable. You're playing a language game with yourself right now.

27 minutes ago, MSC said:

You've not had a single rational or reasonable answer to what I have said about agnosticism. Now, would you like to address any of my points or are you just going to ignore everything I have to say on the matter just because I don't agree with you and you just want to be right instead of informed?

Let’s just say there’s a lot of opportunity for improvement here and perhaps I’d have engaged you in the manner you’d prefer had you spent just a bit less time wagging your finger at me. 

13 minutes ago, MSC said:

If you actually knew what you were doing, you'd have steelmanned my points. You've not. Bye now.

10 minutes ago, iNow said:

To be clear, I’m ignoring you because of responses like the below. If you want to be respected you need to also respect others and quit being so presumptuous :

Let’s just say there’s a lot of opportunity for improvement here and perhaps I’d have engaged you in the manner you’d prefer had you spent just a bit less time wagging your finger at me. 

Those were actually sincere suggestions. If you were a little less worried about your own ego and being right, then maybe you'd see them as such. 

Sounds to me like you just don't know how to respond to my posts so you are making problems where there are none. If we were in a classroom debate, you wouldn't have the luxury of ignoring what I said if you wanted to get a good grade. 

It's only presumptuous if I'm wrong. You've not given me amy indication that is the case. At the risk of sounding like a math teacher, show me your working please.

Edited by MSC

4 hours ago, Charles 3781 said:

See MSC,  you impugned a moderator's pride.  Lord knows how he will exact retribution on you!

I disputed the truth/validity of a moderators pride? Uhm... Okay.

The mods here don't strike me as the sort to care if I disagree with them or not and I doubt they have plans for retribution. All I know is, I'm glad you're not a moderator. 

On 10/9/2020 at 1:16 AM, MSC said:

I disputed the truth/validity of a moderators pride? Uhm... Okay.

The mods here don't strike me as the sort to care if I disagree with them or not and I doubt they have plans for retribution. All I know is, I'm glad you're not a moderator. 

Look MSC, the Mods created this site.  Why do you think they did that?  Was it to further the progress of Science.  Or was it  or another reason.  Such as expanding their own ego's?

9 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

Look MSC, the Mods created this site.  Why do you think they did that?  Was it to further the progress of Science.  Or was it  or another reason.  Such as expanding their own ego's?

First, the mods did not create this site; they are volunteers.

Second, stop being so insulting to everyone.

Third, if you don't care to contribute to meaningful discussions you know where the door is.

11 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

Oh! I never thought of it that way! For some inexplicable reason, I feel like perhaps you are the true leader science needs at this time. Teach us your ways please!

6 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

Look MSC, the Mods created this site.  Why do you think they did that?  

You spread ignorance with such conviction. That's a dangerous trait, and one that seems to be gaining strength in our society despite access to so much information. See Dunning & Krueger.

7 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

Was it to further the progress of Science.  Or was it  or another reason.  Such as expanding their own ego's?

The original owner of the site (aka Administrator) was in med school when he asked me to moderate. He's a doctor now, expanding his own ego in the pursuit of medicine, saving lives, but he still checks in every now and then. The current Admins/owners are brilliant as well, expanding their egos in the fields of computers and chemistry. It's easy to see how big their egos are by all the advertising dollars they reap from this site, and the way they stop people like you from saying bad things about their science discussion forum. 

7 minutes ago, zapatos said:

First, the mods did not create this site; they are volunteers.

Second, stop being so insulting to everyone.

Third, if you don't care to contribute to meaningful discussions you know where the door is.

I try to contribute, but every time  I do,  my posts  get red negative marks stuck on them, which is very hurtful

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

You spread ignorance with such conviction. That's a dangerous trait, and one that seems to be gaining strength in our society despite access to so much information. See Dunning & Krueger.

The original owner of the site (aka Administrator) was in med school when he asked me to moderate. He's a doctor now, expanding his own ego in the pursuit of medicine, saving lives, but he still checks in every now and then. The current Admins/owners are brilliant as well, expanding their egos in the fields of computers and chemistry. It's easy to see how big their egos are by all the advertising dollars they reap from this site, and the way they stop people like you from saying bad things about their science discussion forum. 

Thanks Phi, for the information.  I'm not really trying to say "bad things" about the forum.  I just wonder why you go to the trouble of keeping it going.

7 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

I try to contribute, but every time  I do,  my posts  get red negative marks stuck on them, which is very hurtful

The reputation system is a weird blend as a gauge of how much a poster contributes. Every member gets one vote on each post, even staff. You talk down about science quite a bit, so perhaps you've acquired some haters (or misread your audience?). You seem to enjoy an aspect of competition that embraces denigration of a perceived "opponent", which is very common in people who like to "debate" what they think they know. All of this tends to sit poorly with people who just want to discuss science and learn.

16 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

Thanks Phi, for the information.  I'm not really trying to say "bad things" about the forum.

We have to hope you don't start really trying.

18 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

I just wonder why you go to the trouble of keeping it going.

It's all about expanding my own ego. The more I know, the more everybody has to listen to me and do what I say and be just like me. Eventually, I'll just kick you all out and write all this stuff myself. My brain is all that's needed to explain everything to everybody. 

Or... or, discussion with peers is part of a successful methodology, and it needs a place where that's respected with as much rigor as we can apply with volunteers.

12 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

The reputation system is a weird blend as a gauge of how much a poster contributes. Every member gets one vote on each post, even staff. You talk down about science quite a bit, so perhaps you've acquired some haters (or misread your audience?). You seem to enjoy an aspect of competition that embraces denigration of a perceived "opponent", which is very common in people who like to "debate" what they think they know. All of this tends to sit poorly with people who just want to discuss science and learn.

We have to hope you don't start really trying.

It's all about expanding my own ego. The more I know, the more everybody has to listen to me and do what I say and be just like me. Eventually, I'll just kick you all out and write all this stuff myself. My brain is all that's needed to explain everything to everybody. 

Or... or, discussion with peers is part of a successful methodology, and it needs a place where that's respected with as much rigor as we can apply with volunteers.

That is the most honest, insightful and truthful post that I 've seen on here.  Well done!