2020 Nobel Prize for Physics

joigus

Wow! Another physics Nobel price winner I have seen in real life.

• Martinus Veltman (lectures at the University of Utrecht)
  • Gerard 't Hooft (speech about entropy)
  • Brian Josephson (but he was a speaker in a seminar where he defended his funny ideas about paranormal phenomena. Meh... :wacko:)
  • And now Roger Penrose (but there he was defending his funny ideas about consciousness, microtubules, and quantum gravity (Orchestrated objective reduction))

I had a small chat with him, and he was very open to my critique. Not dogmatic at all. And he is a kind of eccentric, academic Englishman, all in the very positive sense. Being taught by him must be real fun!

8 hours ago, joigus said:

Much focus on gravitation lately. Will this be the era of gravity? Would Hawking have won the Nobel Prize had he been living today?

If I may allow myself, Hawking works are more a story of singularity that emits matter. In this sense the vector would then be in the opposite direction to the gravitational attraction.

I don't think Hawking explains the why of gravity, but rather the emergence of the universe from this singularity.

But we agree that the singularity is gravitational and temporal by in an area of convergence.

In principle, the Nobel Prize cannot be awarded posthumously since 1974.

I am a novice. Catch me if I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, MigL said:

Dang ! I thought this was my year.
I was sure I'd be getting the Physics prize, and D Trump, the Peace prize.
:D:lol::lol:

It's the taking part that counts. :D

4 hours ago, Eise said:

Gerard 't Hooft (speech about entropy)

That must have been a day to remember.

My list is:

Ilya Prigogine (I fell asleep midway through the talk).

Norman Ramsey

Sheldon Glashow

Serge Haroche

2 hours ago, Kartazion said:

If I may allow myself, [...]

Well, Hawking and Penrose worked together on singularities, if I remember correctly. They proved basically that real singularities must be hidden behind horizons (so-called cosmic censorship.) Then Hawking went on to work on entropy following research by Bekenstein. I can't help by wonder whether the Nobel Committee have not included Penrose as some kind of tribute to both, Hawking and Penrose. It's become extremely hard to get a Nobel Prize doing highly theoretical work.

4 hours ago, koti said:

Imagine the horror if it was the other way around.

Do you mean MigL for Peace and Trump for Physics? :D MigL certainly is a nice chap.

5 hours ago, Eise said:

And now Roger Penrose (but there he was defending his funny ideas about consciousness, microtubules, and quantum gravity (Orchestrated objective reduction))

At some point he lost it. But he's done much more of great interest than his work on singularities. Twistors, combined with other ideas by Witten, have revolutionized theoretical physics. Unfortunately theory is much groping in the dark.

He got convinced that gravitation produces the "collapse of the wave function." And he went where the buses don't run.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.