Studying Covid in the long term

studiot

I seem to remember something about postviral syndrome, which is prevalent, in a minority of people who have had viral diseases as related here:

What are the symptoms?

The World Health Organisation has classified post-viral fatigue syndrome under the section of “diseases of the nervous system”. It’s defined as:

…a complex medical condition, characterised by long-term fatigue and other symptoms. These symptoms are to such a degree that they limit a person’s ability to carry out ordinary daily activities.

Despite the word “fatigue”, the symptoms can be broader and more debilitating than simple tiredness. They can include a sore throat, aches and pains across the body, blood pressure changes, gastric upsets such as irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, sleep disturbance, depression, and dizziness. More severe neurological symptoms can also occur, including new sensitivities or allergic reactions, and burning or prickling sensations in the limbs. Many COVID-19 patients, for example, report a prolonged loss of smell and taste.

Link

As a whole almost all folks that have symptomatic cases of COVID-19 have certain long-lasting effects. Tissue scarring in the lung is pretty much a given (so much that it has been used for positive confirmation of cases when tests were running low). So there is a non-zero chance that those folks might also be vulnerable to future lung issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Corona in May, I had a very high fever for a fortnight and then I felt really bad for months afterwards, sweating for weeks, tiredness. I have been suffering from emphysema ever since. I still try to ride my bike as much as I can, but every now and then I get shortness of breath. And that although I was actually always healthy and lively. I never had any complications before. So I just want to warn you that Corona is not to be taken easily. However… many symptoms can also speak for other diseases, so you never know if it’s Corona or not.

1 hour ago, kingdom said:

I had Corona in May, I had a very high fever for a fortnight and then I felt really bad for months afterwards, sweating for weeks, tiredness. I have been suffering from emphysema ever since. I still try to ride my bike as much as I can, but every now and then I get shortness of breath. And that although I was actually always healthy and lively. I never had any complications before. So I just want to warn you that Corona is not to be taken easily. However… many symptoms can also speak for other diseases, so you never know if it’s Corona or not.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

We are seeing the resurgence partly because too many folks are not taking it seriously enough.

Also partly because too many prominent folks are setting bad examples.

Edited by studiot

19 minutes ago, Jon2071 said:

It appears that those who have not had it or do not know anyone who have had it believe that it is not to be taken seriously.

It has more to do with tribal identification and which information sources are trusted than with personal connections to the infected. At this point, basically everyone knows at least 1 person who has had it... at least in the US

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

It has more to do with tribal identification and which information sources are trusted than with personal connections to the infected. At this point, basically everyone knows at least 1 person who has had it... at least in the US

Well, it is also fueled by the fact that especially among younger folks there are many who are basically asymptomatic, even if they are positive. People are just very bad in understanding large numbers. Even if, say only 3% of folks in younger age get hospitalized it is still a huge number if the numbers of infections are high. And right now, we do not have means to accurately predict whether a given person, even if young and healthy might have severe symptoms or even die. I am astonished how many students do not get that and assume that the numbers mean that they won't get sick. 

I did not personally know anybody who had tested positive until the beginning of October.
The son ( in his middle 20s, and his girlfriend ), of a good friend of mine. His mother lives in the US, and he may have visited her.
My friend, who had been in contact with his son, had to isolate from his second wife also, as she has an elderly, sick mother.

We don't have many cases n the Niagara region of Ontario, but who knows how many asymptomatic people I may have come in contact with.
Don't be a Trump; wear a mask, wash your hands, and, if possible, keep separated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.