Uncommon bearing...

Externet

Hi all.

This not numbered ball bearing tells by dimensions to be a '6201ZZ' type; but has a groove where a staple-shaped piece lodges-in.  Set aside to show the groove where fits.

Is there a nomenclature suffix for such feature that you may know ?

It has only a faint "USA" marking, but it is metric, from the seventies as far as I can tell.

P1010848.JPG

21 minutes ago, Externet said:

Is there a nomenclature suffix for such feature that you may know ?

The feature seems too shallow for a keyway. Is it possible that the ball bearing was modified?

Anyway, "PP" may be what you look for but I'm not sure if that's used only on one way bearings or not. Example: 

image.thumb.png.0dfe783d5c961b328d07cb2c5bf56fa3.png

I would assume it is a type of bearing that is used in high speed conveyors in factories or bottling plants and the like, where the maintenance personnel could either visually, audibly or even use a laser temperature probe to identify a failing bearing that could then be easily replaced because all they had to do is remove a locking tab and slide the bearing off the shaft. The "staple" as you call it, is the same idea as a piece of key stock fitted to a keyway, but those are usually on the shaft and the inside bearing race. If there was a tab holding the bearing then those "legs" on the staple would be all that was needed to hold it in the keyway to keep the out side bearing race from rotating.  Not having to shut the line down for very long to replace the bearing would be a great advantage. They might even be able to do it while underway if it was just an idler bearing and a temporary roller was used.  

Edited by arc