Double displacement. Sulphuric acid and a nitrate. How?

Asheekay

Hi all. Asheekay from Pak-is-tan (yes, we're all tan here, hence the name :p). Big, huge, gigantic, colossal chemistry fan, but my knowledge is limited to basics, mostly.

Came here to announce that I've found a way to make sodium metal via electrolysis of aqueous table salt but saw that you guys have already killed my buzz there. *sad face*

Okay, now coming to the serious point. I was wondering if it's possible to carry out a double displacement between sulphuric or hydrochloric acid and a nitrate (ammonium nitrate, to be precise). I understand that ammonium nitrate is probably more polar than ammonium sulphate and chloride and thus would much rather prefer to stay with nitrate than swap its partner.

Is there any way to convert ammonium nitrate and sulphuric/hydrochloric acid into nitric acid and ammonium sulphate/chloride?

2NH4NO3 + H2SO4 ---> (NH4)2SO4 + 2HNO3        ??

Edited by Asheekay

In aquaeous solution you will have all ions present. Make no sense.

If you add concentrated sulfuric to the solid nitrate you can develop NO2  and this can be react together with water and oxygen to nitric acid. But I would take NaNO3 or KNO3. Ammonium salt we know is under some circumstances high explosive. See accident in Beirut.