I’ve over oxidized/ruined my wedding ring, help!

aj47

So last weekend I got married and me and my wife bought beautiful matching Stirling silver wedding rings. (Expensive too)

In my vanity, I thought mine was a tad too shiny so looked up and found a method to darken the silver by placing it in a bag with a recently crushed and boiled egg. The article suggested 5 hours, I checked mine after 20 minutes and it was completely copper coloured! 

I presume this is oxidisation with sulphur compounds. How can I reverse this? I’m currently boiling in baking powder to no avail. 

Please help, my wife is going to kill me!

26FA935D-FABF-48F8-89B1-746AB2F286D6.jpeg

If silver ( spoon, fork,knife) get dark by egg, then mainly silver sulfide Ag2S is formed. A house wife trick is to put this together with baking soda in an aluminiumfoil and then in hot water or better in a dishwasher. The aluminium reduce the silver and  everything gets shiny. It should also work with the ring.

You said you saw copper, after your treatment, then probably I have bad news for you., because you purchased a copper ring plated with silver. This silver is gone. Maybe as suggested ask the jeweler or find a plating shop who can renew the silver.

Edited by chenbeier

15 hours ago, aj47 said:

So last weekend I got married and me and my wife bought beautiful matching Stirling silver wedding rings. (Expensive too)

In my vanity, I thought mine was a tad too shiny so looked up and found a method to darken the silver by placing it in a bag with a recently crushed and boiled egg. The article suggested 5 hours, I checked mine after 20 minutes and it was completely copper coloured! 

I presume this is oxidisation with sulphur compounds. How can I reverse this? I’m currently boiling in baking powder to no avail. 

Please help, my wife is going to kill me!

Take it to a jeweler, a long bath in a good ultrasonic cleaner should help.