Jump to content

What effect do we think COVID-19 will have on antimicrobial resistance and why?


Recommended Posts

The global pandemic has resulted in a number of changes in infectious disease prevention and control measures which may reduce transmission of AMR pathogens. However, do you think that COVID-19 may cause negative impacts on AMR? Could these mean we are facing another pandemic? I wrote a post on the topic this week and would love people's opinions Link deleted

 

Edited by CharonY
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Kirsty Smitten said:

The global pandemic has resulted in a number of changes in infectious disease prevention and control measures which may reduce transmission of AMR pathogens.

What has changed to reduce transmission?

48 minutes ago, Kirsty Smitten said:

However, do you think that COVID-19 may cause negative impacts on AMR?

No, why would it?

48 minutes ago, Kirsty Smitten said:

Could these mean we are facing another pandemic?

Another pandemic is inevitable at some point, I do not see the connection with AMR, unless you are saying the next pandemic is going to be bacterial instead of viral.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Another pandemic is inevitable at some point, I do not see the connection with AMR, unless you are saying the next pandemic is going to be bacterial instead of viral.

While I think I know the difference, please explain the unless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The increase in hygiene regulations and social distancing will reduce transmission.

COVID-19 has resulted in prescribing of antibiotics to patients that present respiratory issues - misuse of antibiotics is a major driver in AMR. In addition, patients colonised with multi-drug resistant organisms are typically treated in isolation, but they are now having to be treated in bays increasing transmission.

Yes I'm saying could we be facing a more imminent antimicrobial resistant pandemic due to COVID-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, Kirsty Smitten said:

The increase in hygiene regulations and social distancing will reduce transmission.

COVID-19 has resulted in prescribing of antibiotics to patients that present respiratory issues - misuse of antibiotics is a major driver in AMR. In addition, patients colonised with multi-drug resistant organisms are typically treated in isolation, but they are now having to be treated in bays increasing transmission.

Yes I'm saying could we be facing a more imminent antimicrobial resistant pandemic due to COVID-19.

Can you ;provide data for covid-related increases in antibiotic use significant to development of resistance?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.