What effect do we think COVID-19 will have on antimicrobial resistance and why?

The global pandemic has resulted in a number of changes in infectious disease prevention and control measures which may reduce transmission of AMR pathogens. However, do you think that COVID-19 may cause negative impacts on AMR? Could these mean we are facing another pandemic? I wrote a post on the topic this week and would love people's opinions Link deleted

Edited by CharonY

47 minutes ago, Kirsty Smitten said:

The global pandemic has resulted in a number of changes in infectious disease prevention and control measures which may reduce transmission of AMR pathogens.

What has changed to reduce transmission?

48 minutes ago, Kirsty Smitten said:

However, do you think that COVID-19 may cause negative impacts on AMR?

No, why would it?

48 minutes ago, Kirsty Smitten said:

Could these mean we are facing another pandemic?

Another pandemic is inevitable at some point, I do not see the connection with AMR, unless you are saying the next pandemic is going to be bacterial instead of viral.

14 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Another pandemic is inevitable at some point, I do not see the connection with AMR, unless you are saying the next pandemic is going to be bacterial instead of viral.

While I think I know the difference, please explain the unless.

The increase in hygiene regulations and social distancing will reduce transmission.

COVID-19 has resulted in prescribing of antibiotics to patients that present respiratory issues - misuse of antibiotics is a major driver in AMR. In addition, patients colonised with multi-drug resistant organisms are typically treated in isolation, but they are now having to be treated in bays increasing transmission.

Yes I'm saying could we be facing a more imminent antimicrobial resistant pandemic due to COVID-19.

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, Kirsty Smitten said:

The increase in hygiene regulations and social distancing will reduce transmission.

COVID-19 has resulted in prescribing of antibiotics to patients that present respiratory issues - misuse of antibiotics is a major driver in AMR. In addition, patients colonised with multi-drug resistant organisms are typically treated in isolation, but they are now having to be treated in bays increasing transmission.

Yes I'm saying could we be facing a more imminent antimicrobial resistant pandemic due to COVID-19.

Can you ;provide data for covid-related increases in antibiotic use significant to development of resistance?