Metabolism during Diabetes type I

R2GH

I hope I can explain my question well enough since Im not a native speaker :) Basically I was wondering, why as in reaction to a diabetes I condition the muscle is breaking down its own protein to amino acids, which then are farther moved to the liver resulting in gluconeogenesis?

It makes no sense to me because I don's see the necessity of the muscle doing so during Diabetes I. In a similiar condition such starvation I do understand the necessity, because the body actually lacks glucoses and eventually runs out of all other sources to possibly synthesise glucoses through gluconeogenesis und thus needs to resort to glucoplasmatic amino acids. 

However during diabetes I condition, there is enough glucoses in the blood stream so why is the muscle breaking down the protein ?

Thanks for the help :) 

• 7 months later...

Just to write down some definitions for context.

"Insulin is a hormone that is produced naturally in our bodies. Its main role is to allow cells throughout the body to uptake glucose (sugar) and convert it into a form that can be used by these cells for energy."

"Gluconeogenesis (GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from certain non-carbohydrate carbon substrates."

"Along with fat, glucose is one of the body’s preferred sources of fuel in the form of carbohydrates.If our body can't process glucose or we don't consume any,our body will simply start to generate it's own by breaking down muscle mass."

"Muscle Loss

Although you may not realize it, you “lose muscle” every minute you are alive.  That’s because your muscles, like any other tissue in your body, depends on cell turnover and protein synthesis.  This means that your body is continually breaking down the protein in your muscles and rebuilding them. You want your body to do this – it’s part of what’s keeping you alive!

Skeletal muscle can be grown and developed through proper nutrition – which includes consuming sufficient protein to provide the necessary amino acids – and through physical activity.  The converse is also true: if you become less physically active and/or your diet can no longer support the development of increased muscle tissue, you will enter a catabolic (tissue-reducing) state known as muscle atrophy."